Older 6255, magnet upgrade?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an older 6255, probably got it..5 years ago?

I see that currently, the 6255 streams have magnets that are supposed to be good for 1" thick glass. I have 1 1/8" acrylic. So 2 questions:

If I have an older 6255, what would have been the magnet strength back then? My guess is lower than 1", because I did try it on the thick area, and it wasn't even close to holding.

If I purchased the magnets, would they be an upgrade, and is there any hope of them working on 1 1/8"?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6255 has always come equipped for 1", however, if somebody upgraded from an older model that was obsolete, they could have an older magnet holder for 3/4". They will not stick on 1 1/8", for this thickness, the solution would be an older rail holder, 3000.250 and 6080.520, you could also need 3000.260 to extend it or accommodate a brace.

OP
OP
garbled

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK thanks! I guess my only option then is to get an absurd N52 magnet off the web somewhere, and hope it holds. I don't suppose you have a pull strength number for what you consider to be safe? One magnet I was looking at was rated to 29lbs pull to a steel plate with a 1.125" gap. (I have no way of making the rail system work with my setup, sadly)

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only know the 1/2" model is 25 kg, the 3/4" is 40kg and the 1" is 70kg. The main issue with neodymium magnets is they corrode in an almost explosive manner if they get wet, especially with saltwater, so I would strongly emphasize coating it in some way. They will quickly disintegrate to basically powder if they get wet or exposed to salt and they also are often plated to try to minimize this happening and then the plating is toxic (nickel and copper). We don't make stronger magnets because they are particularly dangerous if brought together, for example getting your hand pinched in them and they are near impossible to separate, the injuries can be quite severe.

OP
OP
garbled

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the plan would be to try and get a coated one, and use it only on the outside of the tank. I appreciate the numbers, it helps! (And I assumed the reason you don't ship N52 murder magnets was just that, the liability)

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had prototypes and Mr Tunze himself had one get stuck on his hand, I was there when it happened and it took 2 of us to get it off, after that, just didn't seem like a good idea.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back