Omg nitrates

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrates are reading 75.0 is this even possible?? I do weekly water changes I’m trying to get chaeto to grow in my refugium, there’s no fish because I’m in a fallow period and I only feed the inverts and corals a couple times a week
Aside from a water change any other advice to lower the nitrates ?
Phosphates are only 0.10 so atleast they’re not sky high

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrates are reading 75.0 is this even possible?? I do weekly water changes I’m trying to get chaeto to grow in my refugium, there’s no fish because I’m in a fallow period and I only feed the inverts and corals a couple times a week
What size tank? How old? What was in it before fallow? What is in it now?

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
90 gallons 8 months old, it’s been in a fallow period awhile now over a month, I had 13 fish
I now have a couple dozen corals 1 cleaner shrimp 3 peppermint shrimp, pistol shrimp a brittle star, variety of snails, an urchin ( about two weeks ago my other urchin died) a few emerald crabs.
I change my filter socks a couple times a week and keep the skimmer clean

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
90 gallons 8 months old, it’s been in a fallow period awhile now over a month, I had 13 fish
I now have a couple dozen corals 1 cleaner shrimp 3 peppermint shrimp, pistol shrimp a brittle star, variety of snails, an urchin ( about two weeks ago my other urchin died) a few emerald crabs.
Have they historically been high, or were they fairly low and are suddenly high?

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check your newly mixed water for nitrates. I had my nitrates explode once turns out my ro filter had crapped out and I did not realize it.

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to find ways to get the nitrates down, I’m doing a 20 % water change today, what else should I do ?
I got a media reactor for Christmas should I run it even though I’m trying to grow chaeto in the refugium?

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to find ways to get the nitrates down, I’m doing a 20 % water change today, what else should I do ?
I got a media reactor for Christmas should I run it even though I’m trying to grow chaeto in the refugium?
I would do a couple large water changes, like 50-70%, and then monitor, if they go back up or your chaeto isn’t adequately controlling themC you could try carbon dosing. I dose kalk saturated vinegar to keep nitrates in control (I also have to dose phosphates as I’ve always been phosphate limited and you need phosphates for carbon dosing to work).

Logical_Plan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took a while for my chaeto to start growing on a new system. I had 60 ish nitrate and 0.03 phosphate. A Kessel H160 light.

It took almost a month with little movement on nitrates and slow growing chaeto. I did end up dosing a bit of phosphate and chaeto started to take off.

Now nitrates are dropping about 10 ppm per week and chaeto is really thriving.

I also started dosing 3mL chaeto grow per day on a 140 gallon system.

I would give it time and perhaps consider a small dose of chaeto grow since you have plenty of nitrate and phosphate. Also make sure you are using a high power grow light. Then wait a while and they should come down.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible !
my old 90 gal after a few years , neglect and little water changes , nitrates reached above 160ppm which is top of api test .
whether it was accurate or not , I have simce started using salifert test kit for nitrates .

PlumbTuckered

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You have a 90 gallon tank. You do 20% water changes. That means you are changing out 18 gallons of water per week. If not, then you are not doing a big enough water change.

Shrimp, starfish, snails and crabs are scavengers and do not need to be fed directly. If you are fallow, then feed the tank once a week and that is it.

PlumbTuckered

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The tank is 8 months old and already, you have to go fallow? And 13 fish in 8 months leaves me to believe you are not quarantining.

I feel like you are impatient and uncommitted to husbandry.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

75 requires some intervention, but I wouldn't freak out over it.

I once took home a huge Nem from the LFS. It was thriving in the display tank. I thought to myself... "what great water quality they must have".

So I tested the bag water to see how their numbers were in comparison to mine. Imagine my shock when nitrates were 180!!!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mature rock and a few inches of sand is sustainable, but takes a while to get going. Not everybody wants these, though.

Water changes are OK. Good skimmers help. Second skimmer helps.

Once you get them lower, macro/chaeto can work, but it does not grow very fast with high nitrates (or high phosphates) in a huge joke with nature laughing at us.

Go slow and be smart. I would lower them, but I also would rather have them really high than lower them too quickly.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 requires some intervention, but I wouldn't freak out over it.

I once took home a huge Nem from the LFS. It was thriving in the display tank. I thought to myself... "what great water quality they must have".

So I tested the bag water to see how their numbers were in comparison to mine. Imagine my shock when nitrates were 180!!!
lots of reasons a shop would run outside of nomal parameters. I used to grow out sps on a large scale and believe it or not part of my process involved running 30-40ppm nitrates, adding phosphates, etc. but all under lab conditions and with reasons for doing so. WOuld never try in my home setup. Having lots of water volume lets you go some things a small system cant do .

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back