OMG the suction!

Timrpn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone else curse and swear every time they try and remove the collection cup from the 110 SS skimmer? Or is it just me. The suction on that is amazing! It is like trying to separate 2 buckets! I can't let it get too full because when I finally get it apart it always surprises me and i don't want to spill it in the sump.

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone else curse and swear every time they try and remove the collection cup from the 110 SS skimmer? Or is it just me. The suction on that is amazing! It is like trying to separate 2 buckets! I can't let it get too full because when I finally get it apart it always surprises me and i don't want to spill it in the sump.

I've spilled skimmate back into my system because of a tight seal like you're talking about, so I feel your pain!

-ua7IV.gif

OP
OP
Timrpn

Timrpn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you rock it a bit as you lift? I am not familiar with that model but according to the video i saw it can be rocked
It is very hard to rock it, it takes me 3-5 mins of patients to get it off lol. And the skimmer is so dang lite that it lifts of the water when I try and remove it lol.

CoralVue_Marketing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

CoralVue_Marketing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think these DYI would work for the 110SS, as it is all round and those onese in the video have a bottom that is accessable.

Sorry about that! I wasn't being mindful of how the cup sits in the skimmer. Let me ponder...

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 110ss and yes it sucks. The key I have found is that I never clean the top of the cylinder where the cup sits into, the slime seems to help getting it off and it does not effect performance because the cup o ring is the only thing getting covered. than and dont clean the bottom of the cup and o ring once again the slime helps. when its clean and you push the cup all the way down good luck getting it back out to dump without spilling. Also use a turkey baster to suck out the cup contents and a paper towel to wipe the inside of the cup where the bubbles go, i only have to take the cup off once a month that way

gambler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is terrible I own a 110sss and its almost impossible to deal with removing the cup and if its a drop too full from the force I need to take it off it spills in sump I wish I got a different one .

CoralVue_Marketing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not encouraging anyone to do this while the skimmer is under warranty, but you might be able to tap the cup for a drain fitting. You would need to be really careful not to crack it while drilling or tapping it with threads. I have also never performed this and am therefore not endorsing it. But I would be interested to know if it works. ;) We have drain line parts.
  1. Drill hole
  2. Tap with threads
  3. Screw-in hose barb with Teflon tape
  4. Attach drain tube
drill.png

Bronx_Discuss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put some of that food grade grease on there. I don’t have this skimmer in question but I grease up the skimmer gasket each time I empty any of my skimmers.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 53.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.0%
Back