On the verge of quitting

steve meyers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t make it through all the comments so forgive me if I repeat some.

do you have any algae eating livestock, snails crabs or fish that eat algae. I’ve also been struggling with my build. I think you said you are 8 months into restart so technically a new tank of sorts. Keep at it they say the first year is a struggle getting everything inline so stick with it.

CrazyCarlitos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t help u with Aiptasia

This is my advice for algae

First, change ur light for shorter period and better spectrum.

Secondly, the aio like the jbj gets lots of detritus build up in the back chambers

For ur next water change,

1. u should take out both return pump for good cleaning

2. there are couple of long sponges between the chambers. U need to take those out and give it a good cleaning. They get really dirty.

3. take out any other equipments in the rear chambers

4. siphon/vacuum all the rear chambers. U will take out all the water and as much detritus as possible.
U may have to do this couple of times to get it nice and clean.

Good luck and keep us posted

OP
OP
Texas Rick

Texas Rick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t make it through all the comments so forgive me if I repeat some.

do you have any algae eating livestock, snails crabs or fish that eat algae. I’ve also been struggling with my build. I think you said you are 8 months into restart so technically a new tank of sorts. Keep at it they say the first year is a struggle getting everything inline so stick with it.
Yes, 8 months into a restart. Should have purchased live rock. I think it would have helped greatly. I have snails. Just purchased some red hermit and blue legged hermit crabs. I did the restart with dry rock. And a few have mentioned about a RODI system that I’m in the process of buying. I’m just doing RO water and I think that’s where most of my problem is. Plus the lighting schedule. I had it at 12 hours but I’m adjusting to 6 for a little bit

OP
OP
Texas Rick

Texas Rick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t help u with Aiptasia

This is my advice for algae

First, change ur light for shorter period and better spectrum.

Secondly, the aio like the jbj gets lots of detritus build up in the back chambers

For ur next water change,

1. u should take out both return pump for good cleaning

2. there are couple of long sponges between the chambers. U need to take those out and give it a good cleaning. They get really dirty.

3. take out any other equipments in the rear chambers

4. siphon/vacuum all the rear chambers. U will take out all the water and as much detritus as possible.
U may have to do this couple of times to get it nice and clean.

Good luck and keep us posted
Yes, I do clean my sponges about every 3 to 4 days. Haven’t thought about the pumps. I do change the water in the middle chambers but I will do the both on the sides too.

OP
OP
Texas Rick

Texas Rick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking of getting a little bigger tank. This time I want to go with a elongated rather than a cube. I’ve been looking at this aquarium supply company and it’s US built. Here in Texas. I’ve got tired of the cube looking aquarium. Plus it stands outward too much. And that other tank comes with a quality sump. This time, I’m gonna use rock that’s been cycled. I don’t like this cube looking tank anymore.

CrazyCarlitos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I do clean my sponges about every 3 to 4 days. Haven’t thought about the pumps. I do change the water in the middle chambers but I will do the both on the sides too.
Wow every 3-4 days? That’s pretty good.

I could barely change the top filter in the center rack every few days. Lol

just to be clear, I am referring to the sponges wedged in-between the chambers (see red area in pic)

DD61C87A-6B34-44B7-A4F8-4EBB3C4CD075.jpeg

OP
OP
Texas Rick

Texas Rick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow every 3-4 days? That’s pretty good.

I could barely change the top filter in the center rack every few days. Lol

just to be clear, I am referring to the sponges wedged in-between the chambers (see red area in pic)

DD61C87A-6B34-44B7-A4F8-4EBB3C4CD075.jpeg
Yes, I clean all 3 of the sponge filters. They are easy to remove and clean

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking of getting a little bigger tank. This time I want to go with a elongated rather than a cube. I’ve been looking at this aquarium supply company and it’s US built. Here in Texas. I’ve got tired of the cube looking aquarium. Plus it stands outward too much. And that other tank comes with a quality sump. This time, I’m gonna use rock that’s been cycled. I don’t like this cube looking tank anymore.
Update on algae situation?

Did you get the new setup?

OP
OP
Texas Rick

Texas Rick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well. I tried that coralline algae in the bottle and it seemed like it actually helped. I did both purple and pink strains. Plus all the coral seemed like they loved that stuff. They opened up like never before.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back