Once a month water changes?

How often do you guys do your water changes?

• Daily

• weekly

• monthly

• every couple months

• 2-5 times per year

• never

• other (list below)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Eagle aquatics315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to be setting up a 150 gallon reef tank and thinking of trying to go with only doing a water change once a month. I have heard of people going months without doing water changes. Do you guys think this is possible and how often do you guys change your water in your reef tank. Thanks as always.

Sully32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I only do a small water change a few times a year. My sump and refugium are larger than my display though. And I have a medium bioload.

RussiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20% every two weeks

TinyChocobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tended to do once per month on my 29 Gallon [with no sump] and HOB Skimmer. Skimmer cup would need emptied maybe twice a week. It had a pretty light bioload though. ~5 corals ~3 fish ~2 shrimp 1 crab.

tthouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I changed water ever few hours, but daily was the closest choice. :)
hahahaha....I like your answer. I just imaging every 3 hours day and night, you change water again for your 120 gallons tank so how much salt mix are you spend for a month? How many gallons are you change each times?
I think you don't have time to enjoy your tank, you only enjoy when you do water change...hahahaha....

rock_lobster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do about 20% per year on my 20gallon SPS, Zero per year on my shroom tank, and 10% per year on my mixed reef tank..

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to be setting up a 150 gallon reef tank and thinking of trying to go with only doing a water change once a month. I have heard of people going months without doing water changes. Do you guys think this is possible and how often do you guys change your water in your reef tank. Thanks as always.
Of course it's possible, triton and DSR reefing methods don't do water changes unless there is a severe issue. There is no requirement for x% of water changes x times a month or anything. In reality, all water changes do is reduce things in the tank that aren't in the freshly made saltwater (nutrients, DOC, and contaminants), and partially replenish some trace elements. There are ways to do all of that without changing water. So you can do whatever you want. 10% once a week might be ideal, or 10% every 3 months, or never, you won't know until you set up the system and monitor parameters/health of the corals.

tank o tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10% a week. With bigger tanks things go wrong very slowly and so gradual easy to go unnoticed and takes longer and more to correct. Changing water at least makes me feel like I'm staying in front of any big issues.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hahahaha....I like your answer. I just imaging every 3 hours day and night, you change water again for your 120 gallons tank so how much salt mix are you spend for a month? How many gallons are you change each times?
I think you don't have time to enjoy your tank, you only enjoy when you do water change...hahahaha....

lol

I had an automatic slow water changer on a timer. I spent about 5 minutes a month making new salt water, then left it on automatic, changing about 1% daily, consisting of many 15 minute change periods each day and night. [emoji3]

tthouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol

I had an automatic slow water changer on a timer. I spent about 5 minutes a month making new salt water, then left it on automatic, changing about 1% daily, consisting of many 15 minute change periods each day and night. [emoji3]

I see, that is the only way you can do a water change and enjoy the same time. I have a question if you can give me an answer that should help me understand more.
If you want daily water change (move water from the DT and add more fresh salt water like you) and other hobbies just do the wet skim-mate (1 gallons per day) and let ATO fill the fresh salt water.
Which option is better and cheaper?
Thanks ahead.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see, that is the only way you can do a water change and enjoy the same time. I have a question if you can give me an answer that should help me understand more.
If you want daily water change (move water from the DT and add more fresh salt water like you) and other hobbies just do the wet skim-mate (1 gallons per day) and let ATO fill the fresh salt water.
Which option is better and cheaper?
Thanks ahead.

Wet skimmate removes more organics, but it is harder to automate the replacement since the volume removed via a skimmer is technically hard to keep constant.

Kzguns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had my 100g after a year I stopped. Everything thrived.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 25 29.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back