One last fish…

LMSquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am ending nearing the end of my qt process on a fish order I received from Indonesia. Unfortunately, I lost both of the fox faces I received in the order, one just didn’t make it and the other got stuck.

I have a 74 gallon Red Sea reefer well stocked with LPS, Zoas, and a bit of sps.

Current livestock as far as fish is:

Firefish x 5
Anthias x 5
Watchman Goby
Baby hippo tang - will be rehomed when it gets too big)
Juvenile yellow tang
Two small black storm clowns
Fairy Wrasse

I’m looking for one last fish, pre quarantined is best now that I am finishing up a qt. I was looking at maybe a flame angel, but open to suggestions.

Thanks!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Flame angels, or at least I used too. I took a chance with one and it was good for awhile and then it started eating corals so I had to rehome it. That wasn't a big deal but that flaming Houdini was so adept at hiding that I had to tear the tank apart to get it out. Well I probably could have just drained the tank to catch it but I thought it would be easy to net and I started chasing it around the tank and knocking a few things over, like coral heads and assorted accidental frags and before I knew it I was pulling out one rock, then another to get a clear netting area and before I realized that I had gotten caught up in the chase and I had dismantled the reef and had dripping rocks with exposed corals scattered about the fish room as I continued trying to catch the beautiful red flame angel that was nipping at coral. That situation was as bad of form as that last sentence is, except that I left the bad words out because this is a family friendly forum. :smiling-face-with-halo:

With that out of the way, I have a suggestion regarding the last fish. Since you will be feeding and growing the fishes you have, and then rehoming some of those (or upgrading), I would wait to see how quickly your Hippo grows. When he is out of the tank, you will have room for possibly 2 fish or you may find that the numbers of fish you have are happy as they are and you might not want to crowd them with another occupant?

Also, along the way the opportunity may arise to acquire fish from someone elses QT'd system which I find is the best way to get healthy fishes when folks are changing up their schools. Or you will come across a specimen at the LFS that you really must have and you will be glad you didn't get one last fish, but rather you waited until you found that one healthy specimen that will blend in nicely with those you already have.

In conclusion, don't get a Flame angel. Your coral and other fishes will be happier, ime.

OP
OP
LMSquire

LMSquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Flame angels, or at least I used too. I took a chance with one and it was good for awhile and then it started eating corals so I had to rehome it. That wasn't a big deal but that flaming Houdini was so adept at hiding that I had to tear the tank apart to get it out. Well I probably could have just drained the tank to catch it but I thought it would be easy to net and I started chasing it around the tank and knocking a few things over, like coral heads and assorted accidental frags and before I knew it I was pulling out one rock, then another to get a clear netting area and before I realized that I had gotten caught up in the chase and I had dismantled the reef and had dripping rocks with exposed corals scattered about the fish room as I continued trying to catch the beautiful red flame angel that was nipping at coral. That situation was as bad of form as that last sentence is, except that I left the bad words out because this is a family friendly forum. :smiling-face-with-halo:

With that out of the way, I have a suggestion regarding the last fish. Since you will be feeding and growing the fishes you have, and then rehoming some of those (or upgrading), I would wait to see how quickly your Hippo grows. When he is out of the tank, you will have room for possibly 2 fish or you may find that the numbers of fish you have are happy as they are and you might not want to crowd them with another occupant?

Also, along the way the opportunity may arise to acquire fish from someone elses QT'd system which I find is the best way to get healthy fishes when folks are changing up their schools. Or you will come across a specimen at the LFS that you really must have and you will be glad you didn't get one last fish, but rather you waited until you found that one healthy specimen that will blend in nicely with those you already have.

In conclusion, don't get a Flame angel. Your coral and other fishes will be happier, ime.
Thanks, that’s great advice. Definitely do t want to have to dismantle my reef to catch a cool looking fish, and certainly don’t want my corals getting nipped. Good call on saving some room for that “must have” fish. Thanks again!

OP
OP
LMSquire

LMSquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IDK, personally I say the tank is already overstocked. 16 fish, including 2 tangs, in a 74 gallon is really pushing it. ( I know, the tangs will be rehomed at some point, that what everyone says lol )
Yeah, most of my fish are under two inches though so it really isn’t packing them in. I care about my livestock and want them to live their best life outside of the ocean. The tangs are really small and it is almost a guarantee that I will have a 240 by the time they get too big haha. Thanks for your input!

OP
OP
LMSquire

LMSquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply, I love leopard wrasses but I have several corals on my sand bed (lobos, fungias, ricordea) wouldn’t that be an issue with a leopard wrasse kicking up that much sand?

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply, I love leopard wrasses but I have several corals on my sand bed (lobos, fungias, ricordea) wouldn’t that be an issue with a leopard wrasse kicking up that much sand?
@Slocke @i cant think @Crabby48 can maybe comment on leopards/Halichoeres with sand bed corals (lot of tags today, sorry guys). In my limited experience, they make a big poof of sand when they dive in, but that's only once or twice a day. Nothing like a pistol shrimp that will move sand everywhere. They tend to go into the sand at the same spot every day, so you could always move more sensitive sand corals like plates when you know where they go.

Edit: I think having a healthy leopard wrasse in a tank is an extremely rewarding experience.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leopards will eat small inverts, but in my opinion it’s worth the risk. They’re beautiful fish. I have both a Melanurus and a Leopard . Couple shots of both .
IMG_1319.jpeg
IMG_1324.jpeg
IMG_1323.jpeg
IMG_1322.jpeg

OP
OP
LMSquire

LMSquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leopards will eat small inverts, but in my opinion it’s worth the risk. They’re beautiful fish. I have both a Melanurus and a Leopard . Couple shots of both .
IMG_1319.jpeg
IMG_1324.jpeg
IMG_1323.jpeg
IMG_1322.jpeg
Ugh, ok now I’m even more torn lol they’re both gorgeous (beautiful gonis as well!)

For somewhat of a noob with wrasses (I have one small dairy wrasse) which do you think I’d have a better chance with?

I’m planning on buying prequarantined, probably from Dr. Reef’s, but I know flukes or other internal parasites can be an issue.

Your experience is much appreciated!

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh, ok now I’m even more torn lol they’re both gorgeous (beautiful gonis as well!)

For somewhat of a noob with wrasses (I have one small dairy wrasse) which do you think I’d have a better chance with?

I’m planning on buying prequarantined, probably from Dr. Reef’s, but I know flukes or other internal parasites can be an issue.

Your experience is much appreciated!
Honestly either would be ok with a fairy I think . Mel would maybe adjust easier overall, but temperamentally a Leopard works. Big thing with them is they may be finicky with eating. I was lucky I guess that my Leopard took to frozen almost immediately. I’d suggest frozen mysis, or similar meaty food and broadcast into the flow to simulate inverts swimming.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am ending nearing the end of my qt process on a fish order I received from Indonesia. Unfortunately, I lost both of the fox faces I received in the order, one just didn’t make it and the other got stuck.

I have a 74 gallon Red Sea reefer well stocked with LPS, Zoas, and a bit of sps.

Current livestock as far as fish is:

Firefish x 5
Anthias x 5
Watchman Goby
Baby hippo tang - will be rehomed when it gets too big)
Juvenile yellow tang
Two small black storm clowns
Fairy Wrasse

I’m looking for one last fish, pre quarantined is best now that I am finishing up a qt. I was looking at maybe a flame angel, but open to suggestions.

Thanks!
What are the dimensions of the tank?

Flatearth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A dwarf angel would be my pick as well. Either a coral beauty or a flame. They both add a color and shape your tank lacks.

You could get a blackcap basslet or a royal gramma? Purple is such a striking color and it really makes these fish stand out.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leopards can be messy stirring up sand looking for food. Mine have thrown sand all over but mostly good about it. They will eat pods and other small critters that live on rocks and sand but will leave inverts alone. How much you feed helps. Large male leopards are food hogs once mature.

OP
OP
LMSquire

LMSquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A dwarf angel would be my pick as well. Either a coral beauty or a flame. They both add a color and shape your tank lacks.

You could get a blackcap basslet or a royal gramma? Purple is such a striking color and it really makes these fish stand out.
Totally, would love a royal gramma and I’m a HUGE Lakers fan and it is frankly shocking that I don’t have one yet. Could probably get away with a gramma and a small wrasse. All my fish are very small. And I love flame angels but everyone seems to be saying they’re nippers

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 12 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.8%
Back