OP
OP
LMSquire

LMSquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A dwarf angel would be my pick as well. Either a coral beauty or a flame. They both add a color and shape your tank lacks.

You could get a blackcap basslet or a royal gramma? Purple is such a striking color and it really makes these fish stand out.
Totally, would love a royal gramma and I’m a HUGE Lakers fan and it is frankly shocking that I don’t have one yet. Could probably get away with a gramma and a small wrasse. All my fish are very small. And I love flame angels but eve
What are the dimensions of the tank?
approximately 48x20x20

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally, would love a royal gramma and I’m a HUGE Lakers fan and it is frankly shocking that I don’t have one yet. Could probably get away with a gramma and a small wrasse. All my fish are very small. And I love flame angels but eve

approximately 48x20x20
I’d say go for a regal as they’re more reef safe than most other angels are :)
I’d also have maybe one other large species - for me it would have to be a Foxface of some sort (Honestly, it would be between these two).
IMG_7792.jpeg

OP
OP
LMSquire

LMSquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the Foxface. Would go great in a tank your tank and have a unique shape and color that sets it apart.
@i cant think @JoJosReef i just had two of them die in qt. I think one killed the other and then he somehow got stuck in the canister intake stem of the qt tank and when I noticed the next morning and freed him (along with a baby hippo) he didn’t last long. The hippo is fine.

@i cant think given my tank measurements I shared (48x20x20) isn’t my tank too small for a regal? I’d sure love to have one and Biota has them in stock.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@i cant think @JoJosReef i just had two of them die in qt. I think one killed the other and then he somehow got stuck in the canister intake stem of the qt tank and when I noticed the next morning and freed him (along with a baby hippo) he didn’t last long. The hippo is fine.

@i cant think given my tank measurements I shared (48x20x20) isn’t my tank too small for a regal? I’d sure love to have one and Biota has them in stock.
Nope!
My tank is 48x24x18 and I have a gorgeous 3.5-4” regal in. They’re not active swimmers like tangs and also their growth rate causes it to be hard to have them get to 1’ - most get to around 6” due to the slow growth rate (generally with fish, their growth rate slows more once they’re half way through their growth IME).

As for the foxfaces, I’m surprised they would’ve killed eachother. I don’t know what I’m doing but so far I’m incredibly lucky with my two in my tank. I would personally try one without QT though as these guys shed their slime coat causing them to be rarely hit with disease.

OP
OP
LMSquire

LMSquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope!
My tank is 48x24x18 and I have a gorgeous 3.5-4” regal in. They’re not active swimmers like tangs and also their growth rate causes it to be hard to have them get to 1’ - most get to around 6” due to the slow growth rate (generally with fish, their growth rate slows more once they’re half way through their growth IME).

As for the foxfaces, I’m surprised they would’ve killed eachother. I don’t know what I’m doing but so far I’m incredibly lucky with my two in my tank. I would personally try one without QT though as these guys shed their slime coat causing them to be rarely hit with disease.
All very interesting. I’m not sure if one did kill the other. They were both straight from Indo and I had to qt I thought, for fluke watch if nothing else. It breaks my heart that some of these guys get captured and flown in a bag 20 hours just to die in my tank. Ugh.

Ok, you’ve sold me on the regal as my last fish! Going to order one from Biota, I am very happy with the Yellow Tang I bought from them. Would you qt a captive bred regal from them? I hate to risk running meds for 4-6 weeks on a baby fish that may not need it, and especially for $400.

Seanb1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd never trust pre quarantined , all it takes is a net in that tank to re infect them.
Do a tank transfer method with your main display tank water and then add new water back to your display.
Takes 15 days.
Flame angels can be really mean.

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same boat too. Trying to find that final fish for my 60g Peninsula. I've been leaning towards getting a baby Flame Angel. I had one previously and it never caused a problem, but of course I'm still tentative due to the risk as I have a LPS heavy reef tank. I feel like I hear so, so many stories about success with Flame Angels but then there's that one fish that destroys every LPS coral in someone's tank and is impossible to catch.

I just love the energy the Flame Angel brings to a tank, plus their shape adds a lot to a reef tank.

OP
OP
LMSquire

LMSquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd never trust pre quarantined , all it takes is a net in that tank to re infect them.
Do a tank transfer method with your main display tank water and then add new water back to your display.
Takes 15 days.
Flame angels can be really mean.
Yeah I’ve heard that. I actually ended up with my second fish from Biota, a regal Angel which was delivered this morning, cute as a button! Going to observe for a few days and if all looks well plop her into the tank and let her get established along with a baby hippo I have coming out of a separate qt, before the anthias come out of quarantine and try running the roost. I’ll keep you all posted on how she turns out! @Biota_Marine has done me great in the past with my gorgeous and healthy yellow tang so I’m optimistic about this regal!

OP
OP
LMSquire

LMSquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same boat too. Trying to find that final fish for my 60g Peninsula. I've been leaning towards getting a baby Flame Angel. I had one previously and it never caused a problem, but of course I'm still tentative due to the risk as I have a LPS heavy reef tank. I feel like I hear so, so many stories about success with Flame Angels but then there's that one fish that destroys every LPS coral in someone's tank and is impossible to catch.

I just love the energy the Flame Angel brings to a tank, plus their shape adds a lot to a reef tank.
Same on the flame, really wanted one but in the end I value my zoas and lps way too much to risk that one jerk of a flame Angel. I ended up opting for a regal Angel from @Biota_Marine as my yellow tang from them has been a big success. She arrives this morning about the size of a penny and looks healthy. I didn’t really find any negative reviews on regals insofar as coral picking and had a few of you experienced reefers suggest one, so I opted to listen and look forward to having a beautiful final addition to the tank!

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same on the flame, really wanted one but in the end I value my zoas and lps way too much to risk that one jerk of a flame Angel. I ended up opting for a regal Angel from @Biota_Marine as my yellow tang from them has been a big success. She arrives this morning about the size of a penny and looks healthy. I didn’t really find any negative reviews on regals insofar as coral picking and had a few of you experienced reefers suggest one, so I opted to listen and look forward to having a beautiful final addition to the tank!
Thank you for supporting us! We have had a good amount of customers have success with the regals in reef tanks so far.

OP
OP
LMSquire

LMSquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, @i cant think @Slocke @Crabby48 I’m devastated. After observing the baby regal Angel I bought for 10 days, she ate this morning and dead of unknown cause by the afternoon. She was beautiful, as well as very expensive, like $400. She was in a 10 gal cube for observation and heading into the reef tomorrow. Perfect water parameters, changed out regularly with good salt being used. Ugh.

After going back and forth on a dwarf Angel, I’ve decided I value my zoas and lobos far too much to risk it. I’ve decided I want to get a wrasse, an Melanurus or a leopard, and I know from this thread you’re the wrasse guys…

Here are my concerns:

1.) I have several corals on my sand bed (mushrooms, lobos, etc) I am worried that a wrasse won’t have anywhere to dive into the sand. Just not a ton of open sand space in the tank, anlthough there are a couple of patches on the side maybe 6” x 4”. Perhaps some in and behind the rocks as well, i have no idea what is in there anymore. Also concerned that it will get sand onto my corals all day.

How much space do they need for diving into the sand? Is a 2-3” deep sand bed enough for a melanarus or a leopard? Are we talking occasional basting sand off my lobos or is it a several times daily maintenance situation?

2.) inverts- I have a coral banded, two cleaners, some peppermints, emerald crabs, snails, and a few hermits. Would any of these be safe from becoming food?

Appreciate your thoughts. Bummer on the regal, you psyched me up on that little guy and I’m just spinning my wheels thinking about what could’ve done it. So sad. I know stuff dies in this hobby, but I just hate things dying in my hands.

OP
OP
LMSquire

LMSquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, @i cant think @Slocke @Crabby48 I’m devastated. After observing the baby regal Angel I bought for 10 days, she ate this morning and dead of unknown cause by the afternoon. She was beautiful, as well as very expensive, like $400. She was in a 10 gal cube for observation and heading into the reef tomorrow. Perfect water parameters, changed out regularly with good salt being used. Ugh.

After going back and forth on a dwarf Angel, I’ve decided I value my zoas and lobos far too much to risk it. I’ve decided I want to get a wrasse, an Melanurus or a leopard, and I know from this thread you’re the wrasse guys…

Here are my concerns:

1.) I have several corals on my sand bed (mushrooms, lobos, etc) I am worried that a wrasse won’t have anywhere to dive into the sand. Just not a ton of open sand space in the tank, anlthough there are a couple of patches on the side maybe 6” x 4”. Perhaps some in and behind the rocks as well, i have no idea what is in there anymore. Also concerned that it will get sand onto my corals all day.

How much space do they need for diving into the sand? Is a 2-3” deep sand bed enough for a melanarus or a leopard? Are we talking occasional basting sand off my lobos or is it a several times daily maintenance situation?

2.) inverts- I have a coral banded, two cleaners, some peppermints, emerald crabs, snails, and a few hermits. Would any of these be safe from becoming food?

Appreciate your thoughts. Bummer on the regal, you psyched me up on that little guy and I’m just spinning my wheels thinking about what could’ve done it. So sad. I know stuff dies in this hobby, but I just hate things dying in my hands.

OP
OP
LMSquire

LMSquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here are my concerns:

@steveschuerger would love to hear from you on this as well as I see you have these wrasses in a similarly spaced tank as mine without a lot of super obvious spots on the sand bed for them to dive into.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am worried that a wrasse won’t have anywhere to dive into the sand.
My blue star leopard dives into the same place every day. About a half inch gap between the rocks and a large red montinsetosa sitting in the sand bed. Don't think you'll have a oroblem with them finding a place to sleep.
Is a 2-3” deep sand bed enough for a melanarus or a leopard? My sand bed is about 2", maybe 1.5" in places.
Are we talking occasional basting sand off my lobos or is it a several times daily maintenance situation? My leopard kicks up sand onto the setosa and sand bed zoas once a day at her bedtime. My Halichoeres chrysus sleeps in a spot without any corals to bother. I just blast the corals once a week or so if I see sand building up on top of them. If they slept near my trachy or scoly, I'd probably blast more frequently, but they don't.

peterhos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am ending nearing the end of my qt process on a fish order I received from Indonesia. Unfortunately, I lost both of the fox faces I received in the order, one just didn’t make it and the other got stuck.

I have a 74 gallon Red Sea reefer well stocked with LPS, Zoas, and a bit of sps.

Current livestock as far as fish is:

Firefish x 5
Anthias x 5
Watchman Goby
Baby hippo tang - will be rehomed when it gets too big)
Juvenile yellow tang
Two small black storm clowns
Fairy Wrasse

I’m looking for one last fish, pre quarantined is best now that I am finishing up a qt. I was looking at maybe a flame angel, but open to suggestions.

Thanks!
Ah! Flame angel - a beautiful peaceful fish. £200 over here but may buy next week. Just bought a blue cheeked goby - always sifting sand and full of ‘character’.

OP
OP
LMSquire

LMSquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an incredibly helpful response, thanks @JoJosReef !!!

One more thing…I’ve heard that ich is pretty rare with these guys because of their slimy coating, but that they carry internal parasites. Do you recommend a quarantine period? If so, is a 10 gallon cube (yes, the same one my regal Angel just died in ) sufficient for a short observation period?

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@steveschuerger would love to hear from you on this as well as I see you have these wrasses in a similarly spaced tank as mine without a lot of super obvious spots on the sand bed for them to dive into.
Well I’d say as long as you’ve got at least 1.5 inches you’re fine. I’ve moved them into larger quarters with a bit of a deeper bed now but that’s what I was running with in the 60. They’ll find spots as long as the sand is at least that deep. Sometimes you’ll know where due to sand spray that happpwned when they went to bed.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an incredibly helpful response, thanks @JoJosReef !!!

One more thing…I’ve heard that ich is pretty rare with these guys because of their slimy coating, but that they carry internal parasites. Do you recommend a quarantine period? If so, is a 10 gallon cube (yes, the same one my regal Angel just died in ) sufficient for a short observation period?
That’s a @Crabby48 question. But essentially you are correct. I don’t quarantine but if I did I would not use copper but do a prazipro qt only. However since these fish are often in poor condition upon arrival and mixed with tangs they can get ich and some would recommend a full quarantine

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back