One last showfish ideas

keddre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is almost completed, I just want one last show fish that will be active through the whole tank and tie everything together as my current fish all stay in one spot. Any ideas, it should be active and peaceful?

Specs:
55 gallon
20 gallon sump

Fish:
2 engineer gobies (trying hard to get these out without tearing up the tank, any ideas other than the failed bottle method?)
1 maroon clown
2 bumble-bee gobies
1 guppy
1 one-spot foxface
3 banggai cardinals
1 yellow spot watchman gob

inverts (probably forgetting some but you get the jist):
2 feather dusters
1 flame scallop
1 sea hare
1 tiger pistol shrimp
1 long spine urchin
1 long tentacle anemone
3 red Cortez hermits
3 blue legged hermits
1 turbo snail
4 asterea snails
1 tiger sand conch

future-highly contemplating:
sea apple

Thanks in advance, SCI

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you need two show fish after you removed the Foxface out your 50gal.
Another great fish is the borbonia anthia, it's a solitaire fish but active and has a unique color.

OP
OP
keddre

keddre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you need two show fish after you removed the Foxface out your 50gal.
Another great fish is the borbonia anthia, it's a solitaire fish but active and has a unique color.

Thanks, It's a cool looking fish but at $250, it's a little outside my college-student budget.

Agreed that the foxface will outgrow a 50g.

Fairy and flasher wrasses are peaceful, active, and colorful.

the fairy wrasse is cool, but that flasher is beautiful. I'll look into it more, but it (maybe a pair?) has a good possibility.

Both: While a backwards approach, I got a juvenile for my caulerpa and now I'm hoping that it's growth rate won't explode. If it can hang with me for a year, my graduation/headed to grad school present to myself will be a 200 gallon tank ;Nailbiting:D

Edit: more like two years as I'd have to move, get established in a new state and find a sustainable job, but you get what I'm saying

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, It's a cool looking fish but at $250, it's a little outside my college-student budget.

the fairy wrasse is cool, but that flasher is beautiful. I'll look into it more, but it (maybe a pair?) has a good possibility.

Both: While a backwards approach, I got a juvenile for my caulerpa and now I'm hoping that it's growth rate won't explode. If it can hang with me for a year, my graduation/headed to grad school present to myself will be a 200 gallon tank ;Nailbiting:D

Edit: more like two years as I'd have to move, get established in a new state and find a sustainable job, but you get what I'm saying
If doing more than 1 fairy or flasher, do different species, not a pr of the same species. They don't form bonded prs like other fish do.

cpvince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either of the wrasses already mentioned would be cool. I'm looking to acquire one, myself!

cpvince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for how to remove the engineer gobies, have you tried one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BD3BFAW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have an acrylic fish trap that worked well for me. Although it does take some patience.. I had to leave the fish trap in for a day or two for them to get accustomed to having the box there and only feed by placing food inside the box.

Or you could go fishing with a tiny tiny hook and a little split shot sinker so that you can get the bait down onto the sand bed.

OP
OP
keddre

keddre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for how to remove the engineer gobies, have you tried one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BD3BFAW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have an acrylic fish trap that worked well for me. Although it does take some patience.. I had to leave the fish trap in for a day or two for them to get accustomed to having the box there and only feed by placing food inside the box.

Or you could go fishing with a tiny tiny hook and a little split shot sinker so that you can get the bait down onto the sand bed.

Thanks for the input, I'll try the fish trap, the animal lover in me won't let me try the fishing method. Thanks

OP
OP
keddre

keddre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but the animal lover in you don't mind putting foxface in a 55g??? jk
you had to know that was coming.:p

Lol, I was supposed to return it when he ate all the caulerpa but I feel in love with it

The Reef Dork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd go for a flame angel or a yellow Longnose butterfly. But then I like to live dangerously :cool:

If you want something less coral risky, how about a pair of radiant wrasses?

OP
OP
keddre

keddre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I think I'm going to go with a wrasse

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love my flasher wrasses!

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your current fish all stay in one spot? Shouldn't have got a "One-Spot" Foxface!:D But seriously, pick the mind of eatbreakfast. You'll find great information there!

Salty_Dreamer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@keddre
How are the 3 cardinals? Do they swim together? I've looked at those a time or two over the years...

Also, I used to have a 6-line Wrasse and it was a very cool fish. Very colorful and active. And relatively cheap for the college budget. ;) Are you in Michigan, by chance?

OP
OP
keddre

keddre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@keddre
How are the 3 cardinals? Do they swim together? I've looked at those a time or two over the years...

Also, I used to have a 6-line Wrasse and it was a very cool fish. Very colorful and active. And relatively cheap for the college budget. ;) Are you in Michigan, by chance?

They are nice, but I purchased them already schooled together.

I was looking at the six line, but it's too big of a potential risk to my invert heavy tank

Salty_Dreamer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are nice, but I purchased them already schooled together.

I was looking at the six line, but it's too big of a potential risk to my invert heavy tank
I didn't have any problems with mine and inverts. I have a fabulous LFS here in Michigan though, (Preuss Pets, if anyone is ever in the area) and they had observed mine for 2 months before I bought it. I didn't know they had an issue with inverts. lol

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back