One man's trash is another's treasure - examples?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this hobby one thing I find interesting is how far some hobbyists go to eradicate a coral, fish, hitchhiker, invert, chemical, piece of equipment, whatever -- and another will go so far out of their way to obtain or embrace that same organism.

I just saw a thread about someone being glad they got rid of the pistol shrimp (I find them annoying) yet many others seek them out aggressively. There are several other examples.

What do you love in this hobby that everyone else seems to dislike?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the "freedom" of a nice softy tank. Many view xenia, anthelia, kenya tree, GSP, etc. as nuisance corals. But I see them as not having to be obsessively worried over parameters, nitrates, dosing, fish nipping, etc. :D

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the "freedom" of a nice softy tank. Many view xenia, anthelia, kenya tree, GSP, etc. as nuisance corals. But I see them as not having to be obsessively worried over parameters, nitrates, dosing, fish nipping, etc. :D
I agree with this

Gil03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my pistol shrimp! he's a candy type but he doesn't bother anything, does well on his own and people get a kick outta how loud his snap is...you can literally hear it from across the house. Speaking of which I need to go out this weekend and pick him up drinking buddy.

Reef2zach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this 220 gal tank on craigslist and they guy said if no one came to pick it up within the next 2 days it was going in the trash. I picked it up that night

20170506_155319.jpg

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a buddy I sold my acrylic 90 to and he was going to toss his 90 corner. I offered to take it off his hands and it's in my garage at work awaiting a full reseal at the moment. Won't be able to set it up in my apartment as I've already got an 80 gallon, but I may be able to trade it for a few frags to someone who can use it. Recycle, reduce, reuse. Lol

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hammers, I love hammers. Some people throw them away but I love them. And as an added benefit ich parasites are afraid of them and they dose iron.

That's a really nice hammer!

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with a tank of weeds, GSP xenia zoas toadstool etc, then transition to sps over the years and have spent the last year swapping it back.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back