One of a kind video of a dancing wrasse

Nezmo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever see a wrasse do this? It must be some kind of mating ritual, but there were no females around, except my wife Fran, who shot this guy, she called "Wet Willie", in action. We're guessing this is a circle-cheek wrasse, anyone know for sure? This was shot in Rarotonga in the Cook Islands. An island surrounded by a barrier reef, and home to many species of wrasses.
The amazing thing is he kept this up for as long as he did, and that Fran remained composed enough to shoot it. I finished the clip with some shots from some of our other trips of animals keeping up with the music.

We invite you to subscribe to our channel to keep up with the latest video updates, and check out some of what we have in there of particular interest to our fellow aquarists.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtiaiesuKrYlwg6aJWeiR0g?sub_confirmation=1

OP
OP
Nezmo

Nezmo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that last fish made me smile with his teeth and wave,lol.

and I've never seen my wrasse dance like that
The last fish was a young parrotfish from the Caribbean that I woke up and he just gave me a friendly smile and a wave. I've seen thousands of wrasses on various reefs, and this was the only one that danced like this.

Fishhands

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for subscribing, I'm working on lots of cool new videos, so stay tuned! I'm finishing one about amazing transformations, like from juvenile angels to adults, or sex changing wrasses.
I love wrasses. I just wish my tank was bigger so i could keep various ones. Would really like a leopard and a dragon to show up in one of your videos. Wet Willie set the bar pretty high though. He has better moves than me. My other half says i dance like Ellen. She doesn't get it.

OP
OP
Nezmo

Nezmo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasses are the hardest fish to shoot because they never stop swimming, but I accept the challenge and pursue them. I have some footage of leopard wrasses from Bali that I will be adding when I do my Immersion series from there. I have tons of shots of dragon wrasses in all phases and there will be lots of that in the future also. Dragons are cool because they swim like a leaf flopping around in the current, even the adults keep swimming like that! It's also cool how they keep picking up rocks of all sizes and turning them over.

U

User1

View Badges
Nice video - always love seeing dive videos - makes me want to go grab my gear! If you have more video of the wrasse and surrounding video before the edit, maybe review it again. I've seen odd things like that only to go back and find the actual fish the dancer was trying to attract.

OP
OP
Nezmo

Nezmo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice video - always love seeing dive videos - makes me want to go grab my gear! If you have more video of the wrasse and surrounding video before the edit, maybe review it again. I've seen odd things like that only to go back and find the actual fish the dancer was trying to attract.
I went through all the footage, and he seemed to be the only one of these around. This was shot in the lagoon inside the barrier reef. The coral patches were scattered with sandy areas in between the coral. Each of these was like a mini-city, and had the individual species that lived on that patch of coral. All of this species of wrasse I saw in other "mini-cities" were paired up, this was the only bachelor.
They weren't like other species of wrasse where there was a harem of females, a few males and a supermale overseeing the lot, these seemed to be mated pairs. I think he was hitting on my wife as he seemed to direct his attention directly at her.

OP
OP
Nezmo

Nezmo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love wrasses. I just wish my tank was bigger so i could keep various ones. Would really like a leopard and a dragon to show up in one of your videos. Wet Willie set the bar pretty high though. He has better moves than me. My other half says i dance like Ellen. She doesn't get it.
Since you like wrasses so much, I've added 10 pics of wrasses capped from some of our videos that you may not have seen. Who can ID them?

001.png
002.png
003.png
004.png
005.png
006.png
007.png
008.png
009.png
010.png

OP
OP
Nezmo

Nezmo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guesses would be: #1 Three spot wrasse shot in Rarotonga, Cooks Islands
#2 Five stripe wrasse shot in Fiji
#3 Twinspot or clown Wrasse (this was tricky because it just lost it's 2 orange saddles and started the next color phase. shot in Rarotonga
#4 Male sunset wrasse shot in Rarotonga
#5 Richard's wrasse shot in Fiji
#6 Slingjaw wrasse in darker color phase, shot in Fiji, these guys change color at the drop of a hat.
#7 Hardwicke supermale shot in Fiji, even has an "M" on his side to show he's a male.
#8 Maori wrasse shot in Fiji. This one I'm not sure about since it's still developing, and doesn't have the tripletail yet.
#9 Christmas wrasse shot in Hawaii, there are several called Christmas, I believe this is also called the ladder wrasse, or the trilobatum.
#10 Zigzag wrasse supermale shot in Bali. This was one of the most colorful of all the wrasses I've seen on the reefs.
Maybe someone can confirm or correct me on these.

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What an awesome, and adorable, video. Thank you for posting this

OP
OP
Nezmo

Nezmo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for enjoying it! Plenty more to follow!

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe he just can't swim good or do other things good too.

zoolander-school1.jpg

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back