One of my ocellaris is missing!?

DerekBunzel

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 19, 2018
Messages
19
Reaction score
9
What state or country do you live in
Wisconsin
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fed BOTH of my clowns the night before and regretedly did not see how they were doing in the morning before work. After work, I immediately checked how they were doing and I only saw one.. he looks so lonely without his girl my first thought was that she jumped..however, I looked EVERYWHERE in my room and no sign of her. I took out all the rock and examined each piece to see if she was lodged in a crevasse. Nope. I sifted the sand to see if she burried herself.. nope. I checked the filter and the tubes...nope. It’s weird because I don’t have a cleanup crew so if she died she would still be in the tank. It’s just a nano. The parameters haven’t changed. I have a lid on the tank with a few rectangles cut out where the lights and filter sit. I would have a hard time believing she jumped out of those holes. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!
 
I fed BOTH of my clowns the night before and regretedly did not see how they were doing in the morning before work. After work, I immediately checked how they were doing and I only saw one.. he looks so lonely without his girl my first thought was that she jumped..however, I looked EVERYWHERE in my room and no sign of her. I took out all the rock and examined each piece to see if she was lodged in a crevasse. Nope. I sifted the sand to see if she burried herself.. nope. I checked the filter and the tubes...nope. It’s weird because I don’t have a cleanup crew so if she died she would still be in the tank. It’s just a nano. The parameters haven’t changed. I have a lid on the tank with a few rectangles cut out where the lights and filter sit. I would have a hard time believing she jumped out of those holes. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!
Have you checked the overflow area?
 
Always sucks to lose a fish, even worse if it's a mystery what happened. Check the overflow if you haven't. If you have pets, that could be the explanation why it's not on the floor.
 
Fish have a knack for finding the tiniest holes to jump through! I’ve had them jump out then lost them to the dogs. At least, I think that’s what happened. ;Bored They disappeared like yours.

Just food for thought... I have a baby pair of Clarkii clowns. The other day I noticed one of them hovering in the top corner of the tank. His fins were shredded. I couldn’t figure it out until I saw the female grab him by the fins and drag him savagely across the tank. He was ripped to shreds. I tossed him in my husband’s nano where he healed up and is doing great. But I can’t put him back in with the girl and I have a very large pair of Clarkii clowns in my 60. He’ll have to stay where he is I guess. Point is, maybe one killed the other.
 
Thanks for the replies guys. My dog is a lab so she sheds quite a bit and there is hair everywhere in my house. Sadly, I found my clown covered in hair behind the tank... she must’ve jumped through the tiny rectangles and I didn’t see her. I’m gonna be upgrading the tank shortly so I’m going to purchase a new juvenile for my lonely little guy. He keeps searching around the tank for her.
 
I’m so sorry. I hate it when they do stupid things like that. RIP little clown..
 
I just had the same thing happen and unfortunately I found it under the stand on the floor. Assuming it jumped out when I was doing a water change but I ripped the tank apart cause she used to go in the back of the tank every so often.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new