One of my ocellaris is missing!?

DerekBunzel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fed BOTH of my clowns the night before and regretedly did not see how they were doing in the morning before work. After work, I immediately checked how they were doing and I only saw one.. he looks so lonely without his girl my first thought was that she jumped..however, I looked EVERYWHERE in my room and no sign of her. I took out all the rock and examined each piece to see if she was lodged in a crevasse. Nope. I sifted the sand to see if she burried herself.. nope. I checked the filter and the tubes...nope. It’s weird because I don’t have a cleanup crew so if she died she would still be in the tank. It’s just a nano. The parameters haven’t changed. I have a lid on the tank with a few rectangles cut out where the lights and filter sit. I would have a hard time believing she jumped out of those holes. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fed BOTH of my clowns the night before and regretedly did not see how they were doing in the morning before work. After work, I immediately checked how they were doing and I only saw one.. he looks so lonely without his girl my first thought was that she jumped..however, I looked EVERYWHERE in my room and no sign of her. I took out all the rock and examined each piece to see if she was lodged in a crevasse. Nope. I sifted the sand to see if she burried herself.. nope. I checked the filter and the tubes...nope. It’s weird because I don’t have a cleanup crew so if she died she would still be in the tank. It’s just a nano. The parameters haven’t changed. I have a lid on the tank with a few rectangles cut out where the lights and filter sit. I would have a hard time believing she jumped out of those holes. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!
Have you checked the overflow area?

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always sucks to lose a fish, even worse if it's a mystery what happened. Check the overflow if you haven't. If you have pets, that could be the explanation why it's not on the floor.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish have a knack for finding the tiniest holes to jump through! I’ve had them jump out then lost them to the dogs. At least, I think that’s what happened. ;Bored They disappeared like yours.

Just food for thought... I have a baby pair of Clarkii clowns. The other day I noticed one of them hovering in the top corner of the tank. His fins were shredded. I couldn’t figure it out until I saw the female grab him by the fins and drag him savagely across the tank. He was ripped to shreds. I tossed him in my husband’s nano where he healed up and is doing great. But I can’t put him back in with the girl and I have a very large pair of Clarkii clowns in my 60. He’ll have to stay where he is I guess. Point is, maybe one killed the other.

OP
OP
DerekBunzel

DerekBunzel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies guys. My dog is a lab so she sheds quite a bit and there is hair everywhere in my house. Sadly, I found my clown covered in hair behind the tank... she must’ve jumped through the tiny rectangles and I didn’t see her. I’m gonna be upgrading the tank shortly so I’m going to purchase a new juvenile for my lonely little guy. He keeps searching around the tank for her.

Jlyons

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had the same thing happen and unfortunately I found it under the stand on the floor. Assuming it jumped out when I was doing a water change but I ripped the tank apart cause she used to go in the back of the tank every so often.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 2 6.5%
Back