OP
OP
Herbie's Reef

Herbie's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving it without having a medication to treat it with probably isn't a good idea. You other fish have already been exposed (if it is a contagious issue - doubtful). then, moving it increases stress, and with no treatment, it will just add to the stress of the disease.

You should probably set up the tank now to get it running, and then move the fish over and dose it with antibiotics at the same time.

Jay
I ordered both kanaplex and ruby rally pro. Which one would you recommend I use when he is in another qt tank? I can also use nitrofurazone right now if needed.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered both kanaplex and ruby rally pro. Which one would you recommend I use when he is in another qt tank? I can also use nitrofurazone right now if needed.

My choice would be Kanaplex, but if you can use nitrofurazone right now, that might be a better option.

One thing - you will need to manage the ammonia level in the treatment tank. The nitrofurazone may discolor the water enough to make it difficult to read some ammonia test kits.

Jay

OP
OP
Herbie's Reef

Herbie's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My choice would be Kanaplex, but if you can use nitrofurazone right now, that might be a better option.

One thing - you will need to manage the ammonia level in the treatment tank. The nitrofurazone may discolor the water enough to make it difficult to read some ammonia test kits.

Jay
I have just transferred him to a qt tank. I was able to get kanaplex. He is in a 20 gallon long with a sponge filter and some pvc. I pre dosed the qt with 3.5 spoonfuls of kanaplex. Just a little below the recommended 4 so that I didn’t accidentally dose too much. Currently he is sitting on the bottom in a completely stressed state with extreme rapid breathing.

Should I continue to keep him in the qt if he is this stressed? Ammonia is 0 and the filter sponge has been cycling in my tank sump for months before being in my observation qt for about a month and now it is in here. How long should I treat him with kanaplex? The bottle says to repeat treatment every 2 days for up to 3 uses. TIA

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have just transferred him to a qt tank. I was able to get kanaplex. He is in a 20 gallon long with a sponge filter and some pvc. I pre dosed the qt with 3.5 spoonfuls of kanaplex. Just a little below the recommended 4 so that I didn’t accidentally dose too much. Currently he is sitting on the bottom in a completely stressed state with extreme rapid breathing.

Should I continue to keep him in the qt if he is this stressed? Ammonia is 0 and the filter sponge has been cycling in my tank sump for months before being in my observation qt for about a month and now it is in here. How long should I treat him with kanaplex? The bottle says to repeat treatment every 2 days for up to 3 uses. TIA
these look like stress spots and a typical behavior when Foxface is placed in any new environment. If you havent done so, add an air stone for added aeration during treatment.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

With cycled sponge filter, that should provide good aeration and biological activity. To reduce stress, just keep the lights dim.

Jay

OP
OP
Herbie's Reef

Herbie's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081
Update. After doing three doses of kanaplex most spots disappeared. I wanted to keep him in qt until they were all gone, but I had an emergency. A fish in my observational qt tank broke out with velvet and needed the qt. So I did an hour long ruby rally bath for the foxface before placing him back into the display. Everything seemed fine for a while. The main large spots have faded but many tiny spots are popping back up. Also his tooth seems to be growing too large for his mouth. What should I do? Put him back in qt and try a different medication? Maybe multiple medications? Thanks for your help. Photos are attached below. Feeding regimen is still the same with mysis in the morning, reef frenzy at night, tdo pellets mid day, and nori every other day.
D3431E8A-1A9A-4302-8C35-23B14C3DCE79.jpeg
7EC5E2C8-3254-45EE-AE2A-18C86A7E6697.jpeg
0ACC9865-9A89-4A5A-82F8-2E52417F65F6.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. After doing three doses of kanaplex most spots disappeared. I wanted to keep him in qt until they were all gone, but I had an emergency. A fish in my observational qt tank broke out with velvet and needed the qt. So I did an hour long ruby rally bath for the foxface before placing him back into the display. Everything seemed fine for a while. The main large spots have faded but many tiny spots are popping back up. Also his tooth seems to be growing too large for his mouth. What should I do? Put him back in qt and try a different medication? Maybe multiple medications? Thanks for your help. Photos are attached below. Feeding regimen is still the same with mysis in the morning, reef frenzy at night, tdo pellets mid day, and nori every other day.

How did you diagnose velvet?

I suspect the growing tooth is actually a receding gum from getting rubbed during capture. If so, that will heal on it own.

What do the new spots look like, I can’t see them clearly in the photo.

Jay

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Likely not fully treated. I understand your motive to remove it but it needs to go back to Qt. This looks more bacterial opposed to velvet.
Can you post a pic of the fish with velvet?
Agree with Jay- this I dont believe is a tooth but rather hanging skin from mouth injury or something sharp being ingested.

OP
OP
Herbie's Reef

Herbie's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you diagnose velvet?

I suspect the growing tooth is actually a receding gum from getting rubbed during capture. If so, that will heal on it own.

What do the new spots look like, I can’t see them clearly in the photo.

Jay
I diagnosed a tomini tang with velvet after it was lying on the sandbed of my non medicated coral qt with heavy breathing and not eating. It was my first experience with what I believed to be velvet so I don’t know what it looks like in person but that fish looked exactly like the velvet photos I can find online. I removed the foxface from the medicated qt and refilled the qt with copper treated water at 2.5 ppm. Sadly I think the tomini was too far gone, with no interest in eating and not enough body fat to sustain it plus a tank move pushed it over the edge and he died within 24 hours. I don’t have any photos of this but am almost certain it was velvet. I will try to get more photos tomorrow morning of the foxface. He hates my phone and runs away from it. Also that white on his body is just his stressed color change. He reverted back to yellow after I stopped taking photos and fed him.

Likely not fully treated. I understand your motive to remove it but it needs to go back to Qt. This looks more bacterial opposed to velvet.
Can you post a pic of the fish with velvet?
Agree with Jay- this I dont believe is a tooth but rather hanging skin from mouth injury or something sharp being ingested.
I can have the qt ready to go again by Monday. The foxface was never in any sort of contact with the tomini that broke down with believed velvet. The fish with velvet is now diseased and I never got a photo as it died so quickly after moving him to qt. Thanks for the input on the mouth injury I was getting concerned about that too. I will get more photos of the infected spots tomorrow morning.
Thank you for the replies

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I diagnosed a tomini tang with velvet after it was lying on the sandbed of my non medicated coral qt with heavy breathing and not eating. It was my first experience with what I believed to be velvet so I don’t know what it looks like in person but that fish looked exactly like the velvet photos I can find online. I removed the foxface from the medicated qt and refilled the qt with copper treated water at 2.5 ppm. Sadly I think the tomini was too far gone, with no interest in eating and not enough body fat to sustain it plus a tank move pushed it over the edge and he died within 24 hours. I don’t have any photos of this but am almost certain it was velvet. I will try to get more photos tomorrow morning of the foxface. He hates my phone and runs away from it. Also that white on his body is just his stressed color change. He reverted back to yellow after I stopped taking photos and fed him.

I can have the qt ready to go again by Monday. The foxface was never in any sort of contact with the tomini that broke down with believed velvet. The fish with velvet is now diseased and I never got a photo as it died so quickly after moving him to qt. Thanks for the input on the mouth injury I was getting concerned about that too. I will get more photos of the infected spots tomorrow morning.
Thank you for the replies
Sorry to hear of loss. If velvet, will looks like a shiny or gold dust on fish. Often, the fish will scratch body against hard objects, lethargic behavior, Loss of appetite and weight loss, Rapid, labored breathing, Fins clamped against the body, and typically stay at the surface of the water, or remain in a position where a steady flow of water is present in the aquarium.

OP
OP
Herbie's Reef

Herbie's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear of loss. If velvet, will looks like a shiny or gold dust on fish. Often, the fish will scratch body against hard objects, lethargic behavior, Loss of appetite and weight loss, Rapid, labored breathing, Fins clamped against the body, and typically stay at the surface of the water, or remain in a position where a steady flow of water is present in the aquarium.
It had the many dots across its body and had all of the other symptoms besides staying at the surface. Only difference was he had a white stringy substance hanging around his body

OP
OP
Herbie's Reef

Herbie's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a better photo of the foxface. It has many tiny brown spots. I can get him back into qt tomorrow. I still believe that it is bacterial. Should I continue using kanaplex? Or do multiple anti bacterial medications at once. I have access to metro, kanaplex, nitrofurazone, ruby rally. I can get different meds if needed.
337702B9-C1F7-4746-87F4-09D0921E1B71.jpeg

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Here is a better photo of the foxface. It has many tiny brown spots. I can get him back into qt tomorrow. I still believe that it is bacterial. Should I continue using kanaplex? Or do multiple anti bacterial medications at once. I have access to metro, kanaplex, nitrofurazone, ruby rally. I can get different meds if needed.
Looks like little anemone sting marks known as Hyper-melanization but the white area also concerns me. Mentioning the meds you have on hand, Ruby Rally will address the white patchy area and turbellian worms should nay be. It will take 1-2 days for Rally to start taking effect

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It wasn't clear to me - how long did you treat with Kanaplex? A standard dose is 50 to 100 ppm (190 to 380 mg/gallon) every three days for three treatments, so nine days total. Since that seemed to help, but was stopped short, I wonder if you should retreat with that?

Jay

OP
OP
Herbie's Reef

Herbie's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like little anemone sting marks known as Hyper-melanization but the white area also concerns me. Mentioning the meds you have on hand, Ruby Rally will address the white patchy area and turbellian worms should nay be. It will take 1-2 days for Rally to start taking effect
I believe that the white spots are just salt and crud on the glass. He doesn't appear to have any of the white areas in person.
It wasn't clear to me - how long did you treat with Kanaplex? A standard dose is 50 to 100 ppm (190 to 380 mg/gallon) every three days for three treatments, so nine days total. Since that seemed to help, but was stopped short, I wonder if you should retreat with that?

Jay
for kanaplex I used the recommended dosage using the included scoop I think it was about 4 spoonfulls in a 20 gallon qt. I made it to about 7 days and moved him back into the dt right after starting the third treatment.

I am currently in the process of setting up the qt. What meds should I use? Just kanaplex? Which I plan to measure with a scale this time or go with the ruby rally in hopes it treats any other underlying problems? maybe both?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I believe that the white spots are just salt and crud on the glass. He doesn't appear to have any of the white areas in person.

for kanaplex I used the recommended dosage using the included scoop I think it was about 4 spoonfulls in a 20 gallon qt. I made it to about 7 days and moved him back into the dt right after starting the third treatment.

I am currently in the process of setting up the qt. What meds should I use? Just kanaplex? Which I plan to measure with a scale this time or go with the ruby rally in hopes it treats any other underlying problems? maybe both?
Both are fine. It will take 2-3 days to start seeing results

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 41 26.8%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 33 21.6%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 40 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back