One thing leads to another...

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever have one those "one thing leads to another" days with your reef tank?

Today I decided I wanted to snap some quick top-down pictures of a couple Monti caps I want to frag up for the local reef club. Turned off the return pumps, then decided to unplug my in-tank powerheads since the water surface was still rippling too much. Took some pics, plugged the powerheads back in, and they won't fire up. No big deal, I haven't cleaned them for a while, so I set about extracting their cords from the tangle behind the tank. A little while later, they're uninstalled, cleaned up, reinstalled, and working again. Then I remember it's also been a while since I cleaned that little powerhead that I run in the sump to keep detritus stirred up. While rearranging all the junk that has accumulated in my stand so that I can get to that pump, I notice there's bunch of buildup in the end of my alk dosing line, and it's almost clogged. So the little pump gets cleaned up and reinstalled, and then the dosing lines get some attention. And so on and so on. And then three hours later I suddenly remember I've got those pictures on my phone...

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever have one those "one thing leads to another" days with your reef tank?

Today I decided I wanted to snap some quick top-down pictures of a couple Monti caps I want to frag up for the local reef club. Turned off the return pumps, then decided to unplug my in-tank powerheads since the water surface was still rippling too much. Took some pics, plugged the powerheads back in, and they won't fire up. No big deal, I haven't cleaned them for a while, so I set about extracting their cords from the tangle behind the tank. A little while later, they're uninstalled, cleaned up, reinstalled, and working again. Then I remember it's also been a while since I cleaned that little powerhead that I run in the sump to keep detritus stirred up. While rearranging all the junk that has accumulated in my stand so that I can get to that pump, I notice there's bunch of buildup in the end of my alk dosing line, and it's almost clogged. So the little pump gets cleaned up and reinstalled, and then the dosing lines get some attention. And so on and so on. And then three hours later I suddenly remember I've got those pictures on my phone...
LOL! Been there and done that!!! [emoji16]

RCS82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been thinking of switching salt from reef crystals as my salt mixing tank is getting that brown caked on layer which I just don't like lol. I thought maybe I could just reach my brush in and give it a quick wipe (it's a 55 gallon plastic loaf tank plumbed into an RO tank above it). That didn't do much so before I knew it I had them drained, unplumbed, hauled upstairs and was out on the drive way hosing the inside out with vinegar.
Yup, that got out of hand quick, but my ocd is very satisfied now lol.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back