Online stores that sell disease free fish

Mdmusicman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I almost left this hobby almost two years ago due to getting fish that had diseases. I slowly lost all but 1 fish over a period of a few weeks. Here is my question: I have a tank with a couple of fish (its a 90g so I have PLENTY of room to get a few more). So I want to buy fish... but I do not want to go through the death phase possibly by bringing a disease into the tank. There has got to be an online retailer that sells fish that have already been pre-treated for diseases right? Am I crazy to think that it exists? I know I could set up my own quarantine tank and pre-treat for every disease under the sun, but I am busy, just had a baby, and want more than 4 fish in my tank! lol So... does this exist in the world? I assume anything like this would cost a premium (and no I dont trust my LFS as when I purchased from them before I got lord knows what disease into my tank!). I know there are no guarantees in the world, but maybe you all know of a place that is actually safe to purchase from!

GoPitt88

Pitt Basketball is BACK!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve gotten a couple fish from Live Aquaria’s Diver’s Den, but still quarantined for a few weeks. I didn’t treat them for anything.....just fed and observed them to make sure they were acting normal and healthy.

U

User1

View Badges
I think most people are going to tell you, or recommend, a quarantine process. Isolation to treat if necessary reduce risks. Sort of like birth control.

Some people choose to not do so and will do a quick freshwater dip of sorts, some choose not to and just acclimate. Others do something but maybe run a UV system. I'm not here to tell you which way to roll but if you are asking for something on-line that does this for you there is a thread here somewhere that lists a small ma and pa shop that does. However, unless you pick it up in person it will still go via shipping. Not sure about you but that in of itself is a stress inducing risk to deal with.

I guess the TL;DR version is nothing is 100% guaranteed but death and taxes.

OP
OP
Mdmusicman

Mdmusicman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most people are going to tell you, or recommend, a quarantine process. Isolation to treat if necessary reduce risks. Sort of like birth control.

Some people choose to not do so and will do a quick freshwater dip of sorts, some choose not to and just acclimate. Others do something but maybe run a UV system. I'm not here to tell you which way to roll but if you are asking for something on-line that does this for you there is a thread here somewhere that lists a small ma and pa shop that does. However, unless you pick it up in person it will still go via shipping. Not sure about you but that in of itself is a stress inducing risk to deal with.

I guess the TL;DR version is nothing is 100% guaranteed but death and taxes.

I know, I just dont want to have a massive die off again, or have a fish down in my basement where I cant even watch it for 30 days (there is no room upstairs even for a small tank at this point)

Tft12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A member here was planning to start an online store selling pre-quarantined fish. I think he’s still prepping to do it. @Humblefish, is your store still in the works?

The online store TheReefCorner will qt fish for you that you purchase from them for an additional fee.

ZachR32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most LFS pretreat with copper also in order to keep velvet and other things from running rampant in their systems. It seems like it's cost inefficient for a retailer to QT fish. I believe it's also difficult to guarantee a perfectly healthy fish. If someone who has not QTd any fish in their system buy a perfectly QTd fish, but then their system shows signs of ich or something, they're likely to blame the new arrival.

OP
OP
Mdmusicman

Mdmusicman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most LFS pretreat with copper also in order to keep velvet and other things from running rampant in their systems. It seems like it's cost inefficient for a retailer to QT fish. I believe it's also difficult to guarantee a perfectly healthy fish. If someone who has not QTd any fish in their system buy a perfectly QTd fish, but then their system shows signs of ich or something, they're likely to blame the new arrival.

I totally get that, one reason why I am very hesitant on ever buying a tang as I cannot be within 100% certainty that my tank didnt get contaminated in some way by the fish that I purchased from the LFS. I am looking at the Tank Transfer Method and thinking that might be something that I could consider. I could easily get 4 10gallon tanks set up in my basement and transfer them.

U

User1

View Badges
I know, I just dont want to have a massive die off again, or have a fish down in my basement where I cant even watch it for 30 days (there is no room upstairs even for a small tank at this point)

Fully understand. Apologies if that sounded like a lecture (now that I re-read it....and what the heck was I thinking when I added BC /sigh). Not my intent.

OP
OP
Mdmusicman

Mdmusicman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fully understand. Apologies if that sounded like a lecture (now that I re-read it....and what the heck was I thinking when I added BC /sigh). Not my intent.

I didnt take offense to anything you said, I have never had anyone belittle me or anything on this forum, its actually the most supportive forum I have ever been a part of! You are perfectly fine! :)

U

User1

View Badges
A member here was planning to start an online store selling pre-quarantined fish. I think he’s still prepping to do it. @Humblefish, is your store still in the works?

The online store TheReefCorner will qt fish for you that you purchase from them for an additional fee.

Thanks - that is the name I was looking for. There was a thread and I remember it being discussed. Obviously I suck at keeping notes for quick reference!

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your unable to quarantine then probably the best option out there is LA Diver’s Den. From what I understand, they do not pretreat but rather treat what occurs under observation. I would consider them more of a “conditioned” fish that has been in pristine waters and acclimated to eating while displaying no obvious disease when put up for sale.

Nate77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is 1 local guy to me and another semi local, that are starting to sell quarantined fish.

CenlaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He says that the website is still in the works; however, you can use this email to place your order with him:

[email protected]

He’s one of the few guys I will pay to get QT’d fish from. I understand not wanting to quarantine one’s own fish. I have three children- 10, 6, and soon to be 3 y/o and I hate the idea of doing that myself. I tried to QT a bunch of chromus fish and killed 80% of them. It was horrible. I’ll never do that again- ever.

CenlaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your unable to quarantine then probably the best option out there is LA Diver’s Den. From what I understand, they do not pretreat but rather treat what occurs under observation. I would consider them more of a “conditioned” fish that has been in pristine waters and acclimated to eating while displaying no obvious disease when put up for sale.
If they don’t treat with copper or other medicines, there is no guarantee at all that you will not get ich or some other disease.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He says that the website is still in the works; however, you can use this email to place your order with him:

[email protected]

He’s one of the few guys I will pay to get QT’d fish from. I understand not wanting to quarantine one’s own fish. I have three children- 10, 6, and soon to be 3 y/o and I hate the idea of doing that myself. I tried to QT a bunch of chromus fish and killed 80% of them. It was horrible. I’ll never do that again- ever.

I wonder how he is gonna set this up. Because you are essentially tripling the cost of every fish, at minimum, even if it's shipped directly to him.

You pay for the fish, you pay for overnight shipping to him, you pay him for the meds, food and service for about 30 days, then you again pay for overnight shipping back to you.

That doesn't seem practical unless it's a $100+ fish. And even then you're making a $100 fish cost roughly $300.

That seems like it would only really work locally, not online. The shipping alone kills it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back