Open and slide back doors

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to modify the doors on my stand to open 90 degrees and then slide back next to the tank. I’m having a hard time picturing how to accomplish this. I have the typical compound cabinet hinges on there now. It would need to open out another inch and I could put the slides on the door itself to slide backwards.

Am I making any sense?

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the links.

It is sort of like a pocket door, I suppose but I want it to slide outside of the cabinet not into it.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's super close! I think it will wind up requiring me to change the hardware to do it.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After having to replace hinges once on my stand....because of rust....I now use pins or biscuits in the bottom of the door with neo magnets in the top portion of the door and the face frame to hold the door closed. When I open the door, the whole door comes off. In this example, I have two dowels on the lower portion of the door that fit into holes on the faceframe.

Door Dowels.jpg

On the top part of each door, centered on the inside portion of the door frame, is a Neo magnet that was epoxy glued into a depression. This aligns with another Neo magnet that is epoxy glued into a wood flange piece (I call it a Mickey Mouse ear).

Door Mickey Mouse Ears.jpg

Finished cabinet with doors in place:

Equipment Cabinet.jpg

I've actually done this without dowels or biscuits in the bottom portion of the door..by using four (actually 8) magnet points close to each corner of the door/frame. You can see the epoxy cover in the frame holding the magnets......still a work in progress.

Cube Stand.jpg

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have hinges either. The doors rest on a 'baseboard' and are held to the stand with strong magnets at the top. I just pull them off and set aside when I need access.

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was actually thinking about just making the whole door removable in the car just now. What a timely post :)

Part of my reason for doing this is rust. I have a giant pack of hinges so I can swap them out before rust gets in the tank. The other part is that the doors get in my way. I might just go the magnet route. That would probably be a lot easier.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back