Open Brain coral hitch hiker

k_kaboom

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 8, 2021
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Location
Oshawa Ontario
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't been able to figure out why my open brain coral is slowly dying, and then noticed this last night after the lights went out

https://ibb.co/7VJ09PG

My first thought was it kind of looked like an eye of a fish.

This morning I pulled it out and on the bottom if it were these. I have no idea what they are or even what to search to figure it out.
https://ibb.co/Y3Kp8xV
https://ibb.co/f138JbM

Any help would be appreciated as I am trying to save the coral from dying.
Thanks
 
I see what looks like a tunicate, pyramid snails, and spirobids
If pyramids- could pose an issue. Others can be irritating but not harmful
 
I see what looks like a tunicate, pyramid snails, and spirobids
If pyramids- could pose an issue. Others can be irritating but not harmful
Thank you for the reply. If I had to choose one of the 3, I would say its a tunicate.
Could this be the reason my brain coral's skeleton is slowly being exposed?
 
Agree about the tunicate and the feather dusters, even pyramid snails have there.., can;t be the issue for the coral. None of them is going to damage it or disturb it to death.
 
I like large LPS corals. Typically add good diversity with reef safe hitchhikers.
 
Agree about the tunicate and the feather dusters, even pyramid snails have there.., can;t be the issue for the coral. None of them is going to damage it or disturb it to death.
Thanks for the response. If they are harmless than I'm not concerned. Just a surprise as the corals been in the tank a few months now, and this is the first we've noticed these guys underneath it.
 
I’m convinced on
Thank you for the reply. If I had to choose one of the 3, I would say its a tunicate.
Could this be the reason my brain coral's skeleton is slowly being exposed?
tunicate. You can inject with vinegar and it will wilt away
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 7 38.9%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 16.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new