Open windows and affect on PH

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not noticed an appreciable effect on ph by opening windows for a few hours. However, there is a significant effect if you can leave windows open fully or only a couple inches for about 12hours a day. Better if you can keep it open late into the night. The high peak is always affected by how low your ph gets at night.

The lowest peaks are 2 days it was raining and I didnot open the window at all.
Only one window in my house did nothing. Had to open my back screen door with front screen door and fan running. I was able to achieve 8.3 without any co2 scrubber.

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Co2 scrubber is attached to skimmer. Loops back to a 3d printed cover on too of my red sea skimmer. Then pipe comes out into a cup to catch any moister then back to the scrubber.
See pictures.
E75135F2-35DE-4544-94ED-A3140C898704.jpeg
1AAD9A05-A92C-46F0-BDE4-2F7B37D61962.jpeg
image.jpg
Ok, so modified. Was nervous about drilling a hole in the top of my skimmer as the skimmate will just work it’s way into the scrubber intake. I like your version. Can you send me a couple pics or the 3D plan of how you made that? I’d like to add something onto mine…

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Only one window in my house did nothing. Had to open my back screen door with front screen door and fan running. I was able to achieve 8.3 without any co2 scrubber.
I just crack open (maybe 3-4" high) two windows and can hit 8.3 without any scrubbing or kalk. My tank is packed with acros and consume ~1.5dkh alk every day (dosing all-for-reef), if that makes any difference.

On the flip side, my ph always drops to 7.7 unless I keep windows open overnight, 7.6 if I do not open any windows during the day, and 7.84 if windows are kept open overnight.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so modified. Was nervous about drilling a hole in the top of my skimmer as the skimmate will just work it’s way into the scrubber intake. I like your version. Can you send me a couple pics or the 3D plan of how you made that? I’d like to add something onto mine…
I bought it from a company that makes them. My specimen cup still gets water in it and the scrubber eventually gets moisture in it around when it expires. My setup is kinda ghetto but it works.

https://fishofhex.com/collections/skimmer-co2-scrubber-attachment

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just crack open (maybe 3-4" high) two windows and can hit 8.3 without any scrubbing or kalk. My tank is packed with acros and consume ~1.5dkh alk every day (dosing all-for-reef), if that makes any difference.

On the flip side, my ph always drops to 7.7 unless I keep windows open overnight, 7.6 if I do not open any windows during the day, and 7.84 if windows are kept open overnight.
Like i have the back door open now just because i want fresh air. Kalk did di a thing for my PH. Now when i dose Kalk through the day every time it doses i get a nice spike.

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought it from a company that makes them. My specimen cup still gets water in it and the scrubber eventually gets moisture in it around when it expires. My setup is kinda ghetto but it works.

https://fishofhex.com/collections/skimmer-co2-scrubber-attachment
If it was made a little differently i don’t think it would pull any moisture or skimmate from the skimmer. They should make them available so it sits on top of the skimmer lid and would basically serve as another lid (lower profile) to pull air from there.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was made a little differently i don’t think it would pull any moisture or skimmate from the skimmer. They should make them available so it sits on top of the skimmer lid and would basically serve as another lid (lower profile) to pull air from there.
It does sit on top of skimmer and the lid goes over it.

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does sit on top of skimmer and the lid goes over it.
Yea I see that. I mean have it sit on top of the factory skimmer lid, and make it so it’s basically another smaller lid. So creating a second air chamber to pull from essentially

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I see that. I mean have it sit on top of the factory skimmer lid, and make it so it’s basically another smaller lid. So creating a second air chamber to pull from essentially
Gotcha. Yeah its not a great design but i was willing to fork $30 so I didn’t have to drill a hole in my skimmer.

pap2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the easiest way to increase the PH (that I found) is to connect a airline from outside to the air intske of the skimmer.

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing how keeping the windows closed can affect the pH so much. Yesterday it was a hot day and closed the windows and fired up the A/C and left it run over night. Got up and just checked the pH and WOW, in 24 hrs it went from 8.11 down to 7.78

Today is going to be alot warmer and currently have the windows open till it gets to warm in here. I live in a 2 bedroom 4plex with just my wife, myself and 3 cats. Can CO2 actually rise that much and lower the pH that much?

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing how keeping the windows closed can affect the pH so much. Yesterday it was a hot day and closed the windows and fired up the A/C and left it run over night. Got up and just checked the pH and WOW, in 24 hrs it went from 8.11 down to 7.78

Today is going to be alot warmer and currently have the windows open till it gets to warm in here. I live in a 2 bedroom 4plex with just my wife, myself and 3 cats. Can CO2 actually rise that much and lower the pH that much?
Animals create a lot of CO2. My experiment was when i left for vacation (dogs came with us) and only a tank sitter came over for 10-15 minutes a day. With the windows closed i achieved a low of 8.3-8.4 at night. I usually hit 8.1-8 at night now.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

All other things equal, a doubling of CO2 will drop pH by about 0.3 pH units, and certainly homes can double in CO2 level and still be within typical air quality guidelines.

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Opened up the windows and turned the fresh air exchanger on and pH is 7.96 but now windows closed as its 28c out now. Hopefully by opening the fresh air intake on the A/C helps otherwise it's going to be one hot home :/

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back