Opinion on calcium reactor?

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I wish there is a sticky on Ca reactors in this forum~ wink wink moderator!

I have never used a calcium reactor and have been dosing two parts for years. I have pondered on it but each time one factor or another prevented me from going through. I wanted to hear those who have, or had a calcium reactor to provide me with some honest feedback:
1) In the long run, does it cost more/less than dosing 2 part for the same tank/livestock?
2) How easy is it to screw up for the pH/calcium level to go out of control with Ca reactor?
3) How often do you perform tests and have to make minor tweaks?
4) Have you ever regreted and reverted to other dosing methods? if so, what was the last straw?
5) If you think I should definitely switch over, what brand/model would you recommend for a heavily stocked sps/clam system?

Thank you for your thoughts, love to hear any other cautions/pro tips you have.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly i thought they were so complicated but they really are not and they will make dosing a thing of the past. They are way cheaper than dosing.

I tweak mine as needed. The thing is that many resources out there still reference drip rate and the need for a highly accurate regulator. You do NOT.

What you need is a good peristaltic pump and a ph controller. Set the ph to say 6.8 in your reactor and let the controller keep it there. Now, how much alk do you need? Just turn the dial on the peristaltic pump. Need more? Turn it up. Need less? Just dial it down a little.

I have a geo reactor but would not suggest it as the owner is a complete jerk and his CS is aweful.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer the no ph or controller method.
I run a carx and would not go back.
I would get a quality 2 stage regulator and use the effluent and bubble method.
This is so simple and should be standard, imo.
If tuned right the ph in your tank will not be effected.
I run a Tunze carx with Tunze media.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you get your head around how they work they are much easier than dosing, I do both and there’s no comparison I do understand they look very complicated though, that’s exactly what I thought

I have the Deltec Twin Tech 1500 and its fully automated so all you do is increase or decrease the outflow Unfortunately it’s expensive

It’s the same principle as the ones mentioned and any other reactor but just automated.

With the correct media and once set up they keep parameters rock solid

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you get your head around how they work they are much easier than dosing, I do both and there’s no comparison I do understand they look very complicated though, that’s exactly what I thought

I have the Deltec Twin Tech 1500 and its fully automated so all you do is increase or decrease the outflow Unfortunately it’s expensive

It’s the same principle as the ones mentioned and any other reactor but just automated.

Agree. If your new, start with the manual method of counting bubbles and effluent.
It will help you understand the concept and how they work.
I have read, and know people who have setup controller run carx and have had major issues.
They have had issues because someone told them to set ph at xx and your good to go.

I dose 2 part on my frag system and the carx really is hands off and very stable.

OP
OP
Coralsdaily

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly i thought they were so complicated but they really are not and they will make dosing a thing of the past. They are way cheaper than dosing.

I tweak mine as needed. The thing is that many resources out there still reference drip rate and the need for a highly accurate regulator. You do NOT.

What you need is a good peristaltic pump and a ph controller. Set the ph to say 6.8 in your reactor and let the controller keep it there. Now, how much alk do you need? Just turn the dial on the peristaltic pump. Need more? Turn it up. Need less? Just dial it down a little.

I have a geo reactor but would not suggest it as the owner is a complete jerk and his CS is aweful.
Thanks for sharing your input mate!
Do you have any recommended brand/model for the ph controller and the peristaltic pump? even better if you have a link to them for reference!

OP
OP
Coralsdaily

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer the no ph or controller method.
I run a carx and would not go back.
I would get a quality 2 stage regulator and use the effluent and bubble method.
This is so simple and should be standard, imo.
If tuned right the ph in your tank will not be effected.
I run a Tunze carx with Tunze media.
Thanks for sharing, any recommendation on the brand for the 2 state regulator?
Also, where do you even go to get a CO2 tank to begin with, and where do you go for refills?

OP
OP
Coralsdaily

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks so much for your input! One of my concerns is space, how much space would you say the whole reactor + CO2 tank takes up? I want to make sure I find the right amount (and safe) space for the whole kit. thanks!

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing, any recommendation on the brand for the 2 state regulator?
Also, where do you even go to get a CO2 tank to begin with, and where do you go for refills?

I can’t comment on the regulator as I use a Carbon Doser. Far as refills I go to a store that sells kegs, can go to any air gas store, or home made beer brewing equipment stores

OP
OP
Coralsdaily

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree. If your new, start with the manual method of counting bubbles and effluent.
It will help you understand the concept and how they work.
I have read, and know people who have setup controller run carx and have had major issues.
They have had issues because someone told them to set ph at xx and your good to go.

I dose 2 part on my frag system and the carx really is hands off and very stable.
Thank you, does anyone know the best article (here or somewhere online) with detailed instruction to the Ca reactor setup? perhaps we can ask someone on the @reefteam to consider posting a SOP article on this topic?

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for your input! One of my concerns is space, how much space would you say the whole reactor + CO2 tank takes up? I want to make sure I find the right amount (and safe) space for the whole kit. thanks!

Don’t mind the mess, this is when I first installed it. That’s a 5 lb tank and a Geo 618 reactor and secondary chamber

2B7F72EA-B673-4830-BB6A-BFB867C60F59.jpeg 86A063CF-9B1C-425A-BE18-2AA3468DCE9A.jpeg

OP
OP
Coralsdaily

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t comment on the regulator as I use a Carbon Doser. Far as refills I go to a store that sells kegs, can go to any air gas store, or home made beer brewing equipment stores
Nice to know. I'm in WI and there is a bunch of micro breweries around here I'm sure there is no trouble finding one of those stores LOL

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the Deltec in place to give you maybe an idea of size.

I use a large CO2 bottle, just because I make beer and this is the standard size I use but you can get smaller ones.

AC11BF45-ABF5-4E8D-A99F-5EFB1EB85C82.jpeg

OP
OP
Coralsdaily

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the Deltec in place to give you maybe an idea of size.

I use a large CO2 bottle, just because I make beer and this is the standard size I use but you can get smaller ones.

AC11BF45-ABF5-4E8D-A99F-5EFB1EB85C82.jpeg
Lovely, thanks so much for sharing the visual. And nice combo of beer making and aquarium hobby- nothing beats enjoying your own brew sitting in front of your tank I bet.

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lovely, thanks so much for sharing the visual. And nice combo of beer making and aquarium hobby- nothing beats enjoying your own brew sitting in front of your tank I bet.
That about sums it up! Lol

I fall unconscious most evenings in front of the tanks so yes is a great companion hobby!

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CO 2 tanks come in 5-10-15-20 pound & larger tanks. The only place I've heard not to get a refill from is a paint ball store because it could have oil in the gas. My 10 ponder lasts 6 months or more.
One thing to remember is to secure the tank so it can't fall & break the regulator connection. It then becomes a missle from gas escaping. NOT fun.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back