Opinion on calcium reactor?

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing, any recommendation on the brand for the 2 state regulator?
Also, where do you even go to get a CO2 tank to begin with, and where do you go for refills?
I got my 2 stage on ebay from affinityaquatics in OR.
I get my co2 from a welding shop.
My Tunze 3171 is small and efficient.
It is sitting in my 40 breeder sump.
It drips into coral bones but is really not needed if tuned correctly.
20200628_095125.jpg
20190420_092552.jpg
20181016_074028.jpg

Last edited:

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) In the long run, does it cost more/less than dosing 2 part for the same tank/livestock?
2) How easy is it to screw up for the pH/calcium level to go out of control with Ca reactor?
3) How often do you perform tests and have to make minor tweaks?
4) Have you ever regreted and reverted to other dosing methods? if so, what was the last straw?
5) If you think I should definitely switch over, what brand/model would you recommend for a heavily stocked sps/clam system?

Thank you for your thoughts, love to hear any other cautions/pro tips you have.

1) they cost less then dosing two-part in the long haul.
2) Get a very good regulator like a Dual Stage GLA / with their lifetime warranty.
3) Pretty much stays inline line and have been using Apex Fusion then added Alkatronic for two fail-safes. With the Alkatronic, test alk about once a week and two weeks for calcium.
4) No but did a ton of research in 2017 and going on three years with no regrets on this current setup.
5) 2 stage GEO, all the way.

Pro - They don't rise your salinity like two-part or full balling does.
Con - If you have issues to maintain a good ph, then a cal reactor would not be the way to go.
You would need to dose Kalk while running your cal reactor if you already have issues with ph.

Tip:
If you run Apex Fusion use the below method (video) and you will not have to worry about clogging while dripping. It was the final straw that led me back to a calcium reactor.

Please take the time to fully absorb the below video.

Do not tie the feed line to your manifold, the water pressure will sway up and down, including doing water changes.

Have rolled with the Sicce .5 pump (as the feed) for three years for the constant stream method and the effluent rate still stays dialed in.

2 stage GEO with a GLA hand made SS dual-stage regulator

1104171746.jpg
1101171722.jpg

Rit6942

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wont go into much depth on Ca reactors.......ive used and installed way too many units over the years.......the lifereef units are by far the best built ones out there.........set and forget units. Someone mentioned GEO.........lol........his craftsmanship and units were questionable years ago.......surprised to still hear/see that name today..........

OP
OP
Coralsdaily

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) they cost less then dosing two-part in the long haul.
2) Get a very good regulator like a Dual Stage GLA / with their lifetime warranty.
3) Pretty much stays inline line and have been using Apex Fusion then added Alkatronic for two fail-safes. With the Alkatronic, test alk about once a week and two weeks for calcium.
4) No but did a ton of research in 2017 and going on three years with no regrets on this current setup.
5) 2 stage GEO, all the way.

Pro - They don't rise your salinity like two-part or full balling does.
Con - If you have issues to maintain a good ph, then a cal reactor would not be the way to go.
You would need to dose Kalk while running your cal reactor if you already have issues with ph.

Tip:
If you run Apex Fusion use the below method (video) and you will not have to worry about clogging while dripping. It was the final straw that led me back to a calcium reactor.

Please take the time to fully absorb the below video.

Do not tie the feed line to your manifold, the water pressure will sway up and down, including doing water changes.

Have rolled with the Sicce .5 pump (as the feed) for three years for the constant stream method and the effluent rate still stays dialed in.

2 stage GEO with a GLA hand made SS dual-stage regulator

1104171746.jpg
1101171722.jpg

Thank you so much and super informative! I'll definitely book mark this post and revisit for when I begin to put my orders together.

TLO45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have run Geos with Masterflex pump, Deltec Twin Tech and currently a Dastaco. All are great with slight differences but all can fit your needs. Space wise the Deltec was the most compact. Key to any well functioning reactor is as mentioned above...the peri pump. The Deltec and Dastaco come with their own and are simple dial or button driven. Need more Alk ramp up, need less ramp down. Both the Deltec and Dastaco run at lower ph due to saturated co2 in water so you will need a larger more dense media such as Dastaco, triton or procal media. I found Reborn media turned to mush and caused issues. If you find yourself being a bit overwhelmed with dosing or the hassle you probably want to consider a reactor. Upfront cost is larger but once dialed in much easier and enjoyable!

wranodj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great topic, just made decisions to bite the bullet and spend the money. Bill @ Aquarium Engineering is very helpful.

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone running a carx and dosing Randy’s hi ph 2 party to raise low ph caused by a carx ? I want to switch but scared of lowering my PH to much

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone running a carx and dosing Randy’s hi ph 2 party to raise low ph caused by a carx ? I want to switch but scared of lowering my PH to much

Most people address low pH due to CaRx use by supplementing with kalkwasser dosed through a kalk stirrer / reactor.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah that seems annoying to me it’s draws from the ato it’s based off evaporation.

Remember though, the CaRx is providing the bulk of the Alk & Ca supplementation, so the Kalk will most likely be dosed sparingly in precise amounts via a doser and not based on evaporation and your ATO.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back