Opinions needed

B-ridge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a fish from a vendor on here on February 14. I woke up February 18 to find the fish dead. I contacted and sent the vendor a picture of the dead fish. His reply was who ate him. In the pic the head was visually eaten. This would be expected I would believe as the fish died during the night and the clean up crew went to town. I contacted the vendor who offers a 14 day guarantee as I was placing another order so he could add the replacement fish that had died. Long story short he said he would not replace the fish as the head of the fish had clearly been eaten. I explained to him for the fish to be eaten it had to be dead. I’ve never heard of a snail or crab eating a live fish eventhough I could be wrong. The vendor then proceeded to tell me in the pic I sent him the tail and the fins had been chewed on implying the fish was bullied to death. I then explained to him the fish that I had in tank with the now dead fish were the fish I bought from him. Never once did he say anything about the fish I bought from him being aggressive. Said fish are a Red Sea regal angel. Blue line angel. 3 butterflies(raccoon,collare and pearscale) and a juvi emperor angel. The vendor then proceeded to tell me his guarantee policy that livestock that has been visually damaged due to conflict in your tank is not covered. At no time did I see any aggression between my fish and the new fish. In fact I added the emperor, collare, raccoon and the dead fish together at the same time.
Now am I wrong for expecting a replacement? My thinking is if the fish didn’t die it couldn’t of been eaten. In the pics I can’t honestly say I see any fins or tail damaged. If it was damaged I explained to him that probably happen when I was pulling him out the tank from in between the rocks. If there was any issue I would of moved the dead fish. Anyway I’m curious to you guys opinion. Should I fight the fight or take it as a loss?

OP
OP
B

B-ridge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DC997628-BCFB-49F4-A694-E38B6C5D939D.jpeg
8DFDCBF8-A0B2-401C-8576-8D7A0E0D39B9.jpeg
Same pics I sent the vendor. Head is clearly eaten I agree.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
B

B-ridge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes was put straight into display tank. It’s a fish only system. My thinking is if anything came about I could always treat the tank without harm

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I dont think it needs replaced. It looks pretty beat up front to back. Pretty hard ask for a replacement with that pic.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not the best picture to present as a DOA and most vendors have a Live arrival policy with a photo within 3-6 hours, not 3-4 days later.
Not defending Vendor, not placing you in the wrong but common policy with Many vendors.

OP
OP
B

B-ridge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your opinions.
the vendor offers a 14 day guarantee
I also agree looking at the pictures the fish looks beat up. My only argument to that is evidently the fish died. If the fish didn’t die there would be no way the clean up crew could devour it.

ZanclusKeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Asfur angels are pretty hardy and aggressive fish in my experience. And based on the tank mates I highly doubt any of them are able to kill it. I believe the fish was not healthy and unfortunately it died.

Hard to tell if the fish was beat up and bullied, i mean half the body is missing and fins are torn. This maybe from the tank mates eating it.

In my opinion the vendor should honor the 14 day guarantee.

wtac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soft, "fatty" and connective tissue like soft rays of the fins, gill membrane, brain, eyes, etc will be consumed quickly by scavengers and opportunistic feeders and you will get what you see depicted in a short period of time.

Not an easy call to make that will be accepted across the board. If it was my company, I would offer at least 50%.

Good luck on the claim and hope that there will be a mutual and acceptable agreement on both sides.

JM2C

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm leaning towards the vendor here and my reason is because we don't know why the fish died, and so we can't assume it was vendor issue. Here is my thinking, I agree with you that the fish did not die because his head was eaten. His head was eaten after death. However, what caused death? Was is aggression for other fish, was it a sick fish to begin with, was it lack of QT so it got sick from someone else? If the fish died because of aggression or illness contracted after introduction into tank than that shouldn't be the vendors responsibility. If the fish died due to already being sick than that should be covered. That brings us to the issue here, how do you know what killed it, unfortunately you don't.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back