Cycling almost complete What should I do first?

ShaneA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished setting up my 32 gallon biocube with live sand and Carib Sea dry rock. When the cycle is complete what is my first step? Turn on the lights and purchase fish? How many fish should I start out with and when should I purchase a clean up crew and algae eaters or do I need to see algae forming and fish for a while so they all have something to eat. Thank you, Shane

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey the truth is you have to go to the fish disease forum here n read the 1st 3 pages of threads to find these patterns, be able to converse about these findings:

What are the chances my fish will survive no fallow, no quarantine prep

Define fallow, quarantine. How many days is fallow

What alternatives are there to fallow and quarantine in the first three pages

I was shocked to find out how opposite it is to bring a marine fish home vs a freshwater fish

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm only going to keep corals and inverts from here on out, reef fish prep seems about as medical as hanging out in full scrubs and mask in an emergency room all day, you fish keepers have true resolve. No room for error, one vector and you've undone eighty days of work lol nope

when it’s done right and all the mixed fish are swimming and thriving well, so worth it. I’ve seen friends online successfully skip the preps using a nano plus a couple fat clownfish from lfs, pretty tough fish, but they were not planning on mixing a diverse setup, that’ll require the full commit prep.

Last edited:

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First things first, do a 15-20% water change, then test all your levels with quality test kits. You will want to test salinity, temp, ALK, phosphates, nitrates, calcium, and magnesium before you put any fish or corals. You want to know where your levels are. Test twice per week. If you do this, nothing will happen in your tank without you knowing about it! If you see some diatoms, get a CUC. Don’t get too many though. A combo of a total of 6-7 crabs and snails should be good for your size tank to start. After 2 weeks, get one or two fish. If you get one, wait a month to get another. If you add two, wait two months before you add any more. Not perfect advice, but should get you going in the right direction. :)

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on the other side of the fence as Daniel
If you get a Dino outbreak, it'll kill off your snails and probably hermits too

Sometimes you just have to experiment at the risk to your purchases' lives.
I bought trochus snails when I thought I was going through a diatom outbreak. Turned out it was Dinos and I lost all the snails.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, if you want to add a CUC first, you'll need to turn on your lights and get some green algae growing.
I know, we're not much help.
It's kinda up to you at this point.

svogun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your cycle is complete I'd start with seeding the tank with some PODs, turning lights on for some algae growth and slowly start adding a CUC as algae growth dictates. Algae barn is where I get my pods from. I would also grab some phytoplankton and introduce some to feed the POD population. I think copepods are an often overlooked part of an initial startup.

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all know you are suppose to pour one out for
giphy.gif
Neptune.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that mans shirt is full see through

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh for sure, i just never thought id find another reason its funny 25 yrs later

t shirt contest/winner lol

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back