Opinions on Achilles tang

  • Thread starter Thread starter jwheels10
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

jwheels10

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 3, 2025
Messages
254
Reaction score
84
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, i have been thinking about getting an Achilles tang for about a year and have done some research, but wanted opinions from the experts on here and people who have had experience with them if it’s the right fish to buy. Current tank info: 7 inch emporer angelfish, 5 inch passer angelfish, 4 inch French angelfish, 3.5 inch blue face angelfish, 4 inch melanarus wrasse, 5 inch harlequin tusk, three 3 inch flame angels, African starfish, blue lincika starfish, 12 inch banana moray eel, two 1 inch blue/yellow damsels, 4 inch purple tang, 4 inch tomini tang. 4 inch asfur angel and 3 inch chrysurus angel waiting to go in from the quarantine tank. So I was thinking about adding a 7-8 inch Achilles tang into the quarantine tank once the other two fish are out of it. Quarantine is 20 gallons (not long). I was wondering if this would be enough space for the fish while in the quarantine, how I should quarantine the tang (what medication, how long, etc), and if he would get along with all they other fish in my tank. Also I’m not concerned about the purple tang and tomini tang bothering him because they were living in some guys basement with an auto feeder on for 2 years, so are very shy towards my other fish and not aggressive. Also I don’t have to worry about when this fish will be available at an LFS I know someone who can get it to when needed with a 14 day gaurentee. I Am worried that once the fish goes into the main system that if he contracts ich, I won’t be able to treat it because my eel and starfish will melt. If there are any medications that won’t burn them alive please let me know. have a FX6 set up for the my main system which is 180 gallons, and will be getting another FX6 or FX4 shortly. All opinions are wanted and welcome.
 
your tank is already maxed out. The first three angels will likely need a larger tank in the future, not including your other stock. Even if it weren't, Achilles are huge swimmers, a 7-8" specimen would need a 8' minimum tank.
 
your tank is already maxed out. The first three angels will likely need a larger tank in the future, not including your other stock. Even if it weren't, Achilles are huge swimmers, a 7-8" specimen would need a 8' minimum tank.
I dont agree that an Achilles needs an 8 ft tank. You may already have too many big fish though.
 
Anything else besides how big the tank is? Really looking for how to quarantine, if they will fight, and how to deal with ich if he gets it in either system.
 
If your not interested in people telling you no then head over the the disease forum and read the QT stickies there.
I know your not interested but I upgraded from a 180 because I felt it was too small for my tangs and I don't keep large Angels. All the Achilles I've seen spend all day swimming laps which I always take as a sign of stress. I keep 10 tangs and none swim laps in the tank like the Achilles I've seen.
 
I had a model specimen. Was not afraid but did not fight. I quarantined him with copper power and Praziquel. He did awesome except did not like the confined areas. They eat a lot. They need a well oxygenated, clean (good parameters) tank.
 
If your not interested in people telling you no then head over the the disease forum and read the QT stickies there.
I was just interested in other stuff about the fish besides how big the tank is. Grumpy old man indeed.
 
I had a model specimen. Was not afraid but did not fight. I quarantined him with copper power and Praziquel. He did awesome except did not like the confined areas. They eat a lot. They need a well oxygenated, clean (good parameters) tank.
Thank you. How big was he and how big was your tank?
 
He ended up in a 180 gallon. He was medium sized, certainly had a lot of room to grow, they can get big. They are very high energy. Always on the go. Always swimming. Always eating. Although they are a tough fish, they may not go well with very aggressive fish.
 
He ended up in a 180 gallon. He was medium sized, certainly had a lot of room to grow, they can get big. They are very high energy. Always on the go. Always swimming. Always eating. Although they are a tough fish, they may not go well with very aggressive fish.
I’ll proably lean towards one about 6 inches then. The only guy who really messes with anyone is the emporer, who’s just the king of his tank showing his dominance to everyone occasionally. Here’s the setup
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6097.jpeg
    IMG_6097.jpeg
    138.5 KB · Views: 122
I dont agree that an Achilles needs an 8 ft tank. You may already have too many big fish though.
To each their own. Having seen an Achilles in both a 6 and 8 foot tank, the fish in the 8 foot was visibly far less stressed and had much more swimming room.
 
Only way I’d think about keeping an Achilles in that tank size is if it was 3 inches and the only fish in the tank. Even then it would make it look like a tiny little bowl.
 
I agree with most, achilles are tempermental, I don't believe they need an 8 foot tank, but will agree that they need room, and less fish, my experiences with this fish have not been the best, the only way you can keep these in my opinion is to start them off as the first fish in the tank and gradually add others, but be careful not to overcrowd, i've seen these fish be very happy to very stressed in a matter of days to weeks, I feel like a move from one tank to another can severely stress this fish a lot. I'd be very careful about getting one of these fish from an established tank and then putting it into yours, the problem can arise of the new fish not having a place to hide and maybe in your case having too many tank mates which I believe can overstress him and cause him to dye, in the process even develop ick.
 
Your tank already sounds overloaded. Would be better if you don’t add any more fish, particularly an Achilles. Typical recommendation is 8 ft minimum tank size but there are some who believe even that is on the small size for an Achilles.
 
You can't QT a 7-8" Achilles in a 20g tank. If you must have one that is 4-5" or more, I would pick up a cheap used 55g tank for quarantine. But I'm not sure even that would be enough for a 7-8" one. FWIW, my achilles grew from 3" to 7" in a little over a year so I dont think its worth the money and stress of purchasing one that's already big.
 
You can't QT a 7-8" Achilles in a 20g tank. If you must have one that is 4-5" or more, I would pick up a cheap used 55g tank for quarantine. FWIW, my achilles grew from 3" to 7" in a little over a year so I dont think it’s worth the money and stress of purchasing one that's already big.
I was thinking more of a smaller one now, about 3-4. What have you you done to have success?
 

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new