Opinions on Probiotic Supplements

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off let me just say that I'm personally a fan of probiotics although I could 100% understand someone else feeling that they're more hype than anything for a typical marine aquarium. Several months ago I picked up a bottle of Tropic Marin Nitribiotic which is a blend of probiotic bacteria strains along with Saccharomyces and even though I honestly don't know if it's doing anything or not, I continue to dose it twice a week and feel good about it afterwards. A quick Google search will turn up dozens of journal articles and scientific studies detailing all the positive aspects of probiotics for aquaculture and I trust the studies and am sure for aquaculture they've been a real game changer...on the other hand, I could understand someone pointing out that our aquariums are MUCH different than an aquaculture operation with thousands of fish packed closely together with the primary goal in mind being maximum growth and getting as many to market as possible. There are also very few studies on species we like to keep (or at least I couldn't find many) and strains of bacteria aren't necessarily equal for different species. Also someone could point out that although certain bacterial strains are shown in some aquaculture species to reduce stress and promote immune health, we should be striving to maintain our fish and inverts in as low stress environment as possible already and be feeding them a nutrient rich diet that keeps their immune systems strong and ready to fight off any disease or pathogen that makes it into our tanks. In support of probiotics though, besides cost for another supplement, there aren't really any known negatives to dosing them...what do you guys think? Like I said, I'm pro probiotics but could certainly understand an opposing opinion on this particular subject. Curious to hear you guys' opinions...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back