Opinions on Tank and Any Advice

The Fish Tankist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefers,

I am relatively new to the hobby and have finally got my tank in good condition. Its a Reefer 350 I bought used for $750 with fish and everything. I would take any opinions or advice you have on it. One issue I still have is sand blowing around. Do you guys have any ideas on placement for my Reef Wave 25's to prevent sand blowing around. Also, any recommendations for a new return pump and skimmer. The current skimmer is Coralife and my current return pump is some utility pump. Thanks and happy reefing :) IMG_4366.jpg IMG_4365.jpg

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any specific plans for your aquarium - adding CO2 scrubber to get pH up or maybe adding refugium in the future!

Asking because knowing your goals or plans will help in getting better recommendations.

OP
OP
T

The Fish Tankist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any specific plans for your aquarium - adding CO2 scrubber to get pH up or maybe adding refugium in the future!

Asking because knowing your goals or plans will help in getting better recommendations.
Not specifically. My pH is good but there's a decent amount of hair algae growing and I think a refugium could help.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd move the wave makers more to the top of the tank and put them on opposite ends facing each other. That should help the sand movement. As for return, I'd look at a DC pump that you can dial in the flow. Skimmer is one that there are tons of options and lots of manufacturers. I'd go with a decent brand that is sized for your tank and sump.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now we are getting somewhere...

Here is a picture of my sump with home made refugium. Will want a skimmer with small footprint to allow for space for refugium.

F6908E10-E836-4EE9-810C-B5E571D1C4B7.jpeg

OP
OP
T

The Fish Tankist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now we are getting somewhere...

Here is a picture of my sump with home made refugium. Will want a skimmer with small footprint to allow for space for refugium.

F6908E10-E836-4EE9-810C-B5E571D1C4B7.jpeg
Looks great. Any tips for building a refugium? Is there any way to do it with removable baffles?

OP
OP
T

The Fish Tankist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd move the wave makers more to the top of the tank and put them on opposite ends facing each other. That should help the sand movement. As for return, I'd look at a DC pump that you can dial in the flow. Skimmer is one that there are tons of options and lots of manufacturers. I'd go with a decent brand that is sized for your tank and sump.
Thanks for the advice

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great. Any tips for building a refugium? Is there any way to do it with removable baffles?
Mine is a RSR425XL. I just used plastic egg create for lights and cut to size to fit my sump (inexpensive, available at HD). Zip ties hold it together. Used pvc pipe to build inexpensive skimmer stand so that it would be at proper water height.

Why do you need baffles?

OP
OP
T

The Fish Tankist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is a RSR425XL. I just used plastic egg crate for lights and cut to size to fit my sump (inexpensive, available at HD). Zip ties hold it together. Used pvc pipe to build inexpensive skimmer stand so that it would be at proper water height.

Why do you need baffles?
Just wondering what the best ways to do it were.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 35.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back