Opinions please - Another AI, T5, or ...

specialk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all ...so opinions wanted on this por favor

Tank Dimensions are:

23.62" L × 17.72" W × 15.75" H​

Would like to get back into growing SPS, so really trying to figure out the best way to go for lighting.

* Currently have a single AI prime 16 HD puck.
* Of course worried about some shadowing and getting solid coverage all over the tank.

I am wondering which option would be better here (or which option will allow me to keep and grow sps without any concerns)

Do I:

* Get another AI prime 16 for over the tank and better coverage?
* Get a combo T5 fixture to help with shadowing (always wanted to add a t5 in, as I have seen and heard wonderful things)
* Get a single new LED altogether and get rid of the AI prime ( I was looking at Viparspectras before )

I am also not looking to break the bank as this tank is feeding my addiction until I move and get into my 300 rimless, but I am fine with spending (if that even makes any sense...lol)

Look forward to hearing your thoughts on the best path forward

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
24” x 18” ....I would do a 2nd Prime vs T5 ...
thats not a big area and I’d bet adding a 2nd prime would be easier and not much less optimal for that size area ...just IMO

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will not go wrong by adding a T5 hybrid fixture into the mix. Shadowing will be probably obsolete depending on your rock scape and will also balance out the shimmer from the LED lights. You will def need to add another Prime 16 as well but what you will get from the additions will be a SPS growing factory.

Preference of bulbs will be totally up to you, but a good starting point will be ATI Blue+ and ATI Actinic.

Best of luck in whatever direction you end up going.

OP
OP
specialk

specialk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will not go wrong by adding a T5 hybrid fixture into the mix. Shadowing will be probably obsolete depending on your rock scape and will also balance out the shimmer from the LED lights. You will def need to add another Prime 16 as well but what you will get from the additions will be a SPS growing factory.

Preference of bulbs will be totally up to you, but a good starting point will be ATI Blue+ and ATI Actinic.

Best of luck in whatever direction you end up going.
So in your opinion, how would you think the grow potential would be from just adding an additional AI prime? ( I am all for adding all of what you mentioned though ... as I opted for a smaller tank right now so I could go all out on the setup vs the costs that would run with going with a biggest tank)

But if I am following, ideally I would add an additional light on top of the t5s (t5's ..2 of them?)

uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would buy another Prime. I have both over my tank, but my tank is 36 inches long and 18 inches wide. On your tank it would look crowded and bulky.
0B487BDD-4F78-464E-8720-BC2B34AB0101.jpeg

Your tank isn’t very deep and two Primes will be perfect for that size. I’m sure that by now you’ve seen the BRS video on AI coverage. If you haven’t, what are you waiting for? One Prime will cover a 12x12 square with 300+ perfect SPS par coverage. Another Prime would be covering the other 12 on your tank and look much cleaner in my opinion.

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in your opinion, how would you think the grow potential would be from just adding an additional AI prime? ( I am all for adding all of what you mentioned though ... as I opted for a smaller tank right now so I could go all out on the setup vs the costs that would run with going with a biggest tank)

But if I am following, ideally I would add an additional light on top of the t5s (t5's ..2 of them?)
Adding only the prime into the mix will definitely give you more potential for growth as more lights equal MORE POWER.
But adding the T5 light will not only give you even more Umph, but will add a blanket of light to your aquarium.

I had 3 Hydra 26HD and a 4ft T5 hybrid fixture, and the growth of my coral was great, and also I didn't have to worry where to place my coral as I had light everywhere in the tank.

OP
OP
specialk

specialk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would buy another Prime. I have both over my tank, but my tank is 36 inches long and 18 inches wide. On your tank it would look crowded and bulky.
0B487BDD-4F78-464E-8720-BC2B34AB0101.jpeg

Your tank isn’t very deep and two Primes will be perfect for that size. I’m sure that by now you’ve seen the BRS video on AI coverage. If you haven’t, what are you waiting for? One Prime will cover a 12x12 square with 300+ perfect SPS par coverage. Another Prime would be covering the other 12 on your tank and look much cleaner in my opinion.
Was for sure a concern of mine ...

nice tank btw!!

OP
OP
specialk

specialk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding only the prime into the mix will definitely give you more potential for growth as more lights equal MORE POWER.
But adding the T5 light will not only give you even more Umph, but will add a blanket of light to your aquarium.

I had 3 Hydra 26HD and a 4ft T5 hybrid fixture, and the growth of my coral was great, and also I didn't have to worry where to place my coral as I had light everywhere in the tank.
Yah I was looking at BRS at their 24 hybrid fixtures. I am wondering if I could put something together myself and save some money (although in this hobby what's the point ...lol)

GTi_JJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vote would be adding the T5 hybrid with the Prime. I just added Geisemann hybrid and couple Radion Pros, and the difference is night and day. Everything looks brighter, and the corals and fish just pop.

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Buy something you can use with the future 300 you mentioned. Then sell the prime to make back some of the $$.

ex. future 300 --> 2 xr15 or 2 a360x.... so buy one xr15 or a360x now (lots of used ones pop up in the forum)

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a IM 20 peninsula that has a lighted area of 27" long x 12" wide x 13" deep with 2 AI Primes over it, I'm completely happy with the setup. The light over lap in the center of the tank is great.
For the price of a Radion XR15 gen 5(I have them myself) you could get a 24" ReefBreeders LED and not have to worry about shadowing.

Scritch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t know if you’ve already made a decision, but this is what I went with. Originally it was just the prime and t5’s. My tank is 24x18

Attachments

• 23E67465-EC0C-4640-9CCA-164256CF96E1.jpeg
    23E67465-EC0C-4640-9CCA-164256CF96E1.jpeg
    121.8 KB · Views: 29

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made my own hybrid...pardon the crappish pic
Yah I was looking at BRS at their 24 hybrid fixtures. I am wondering if I could put something together myself and save some money (although in this hobby what's the point ...lol)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 30

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back