Optical sensor fail already ?!

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy,

I got an optical sensor for my birthday on 12/23 - it was installed 12/27 and all worked well.

I filled my ATO up 1/3/21 and yesterday morning it ran a false positive for my reservoir being empty. I looked into my bucket and the sensor among some wires were covered in bubbles.. obviously throwing the sensor off.

Anyone else experience this ?

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a Neptune Apex optical sensor, or a different brand? If it is Neptune, the most common problem is the plug not fully seated in the FMM socket. Follow steps 4 - 10 in my ATK tutorial to test the sensor:

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a Neptune Apex optical sensor, or a different brand? If it is Neptune, the most common problem is the plug not fully seated in the FMM socket. Follow steps 4 - 10 in my ATK tutorial to test the sensor:

All I had to do was shake the bubbles off and it worked again - just saying it shouldn't fail that easy

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I had to do was shake the bubbles off and it worked again - just saying it shouldn't fail that easy
Which direction is it mounted? Neptune doesn’t recommend it pointing downwards, and perhaps changing its orientation could allow the bubbles to escape.

EFFB56A3-2A31-4523-8546-A6F264A77432.png

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which direction is it mounted? Neptune doesn’t recommend it pointing downwards, and perhaps changing its orientation could allow the bubbles to escape.

I do have it pointed down as a low water sensor. I'll try inverting it.

Poor design with the wire than though

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m not trying to defend the design, just trying to help you solve the issue.

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not trying to defend the design, just trying to help you solve the issue.
I know - just guess frustration with an expensive product to begin with. Fact it threw a false positive on day 2 of being installed. Imagine I had it hooked to a solenoid to fill my ATO bucket. DISASTER

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know - just guess frustration with an expensive product to begin with. Fact it threw a false positive on day 2 of being installed. Imagine I had it hooked to a solenoid to fill my ATO bucket. DISASTER
Any time you rely on a sensor for something critical, always plan for a possible failure. This is true for optical sensors and float switches. The “When” timer in conjunction with a float valve would be the safest thing to do to prevent an overflow:

When On > 060:00 Then OFF

This would prevent the solenoid from remaining open longer than 1 hour, and could also be used to generate an Apex alarm to notify you.

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any time you rely on a sensor for something critical, always plan for a possible failure. This is true for optical sensors and float switches. The “When” timer in conjunction with a float valve would be the safest thing to do to prevent an overflow:

When On > 060:00 Then OFF

This would prevent the solenoid from remaining open longer than 1 hour, and could also be used to generate an Apex alarm to notify you.
That's a good idea for If I ever add a solenoid

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not personally use the OS-1 as my primary trigger for anything. It is prone to fouling (salt creep, algae, bubbles) and the wires aren't robust (though that was apparently fixed with v2). I use them solely as alert triggers. Always helpful to follow the directions though LOL.

DWill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yep, I somehow missed the down point down advice when I set mine up. Had problems within a week. Turned them pointing up and haven’t had a problem since.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a fan of optical sensors because of false readings and their added maintenance. Float sensors put in low light areas and mounted with snail guards are super reliable. I find that they can go for 6 months to a year before needing any kind of cleaning and even then it’s mostly just to remove a light build up of coralline algae on the snail guards outer surface.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a fan of optical sensors because of false readings and their added maintenance. Float sensors put in low light areas and mounted with snail guards are super reliable. I find that they can go for 6 months to a year before needing any kind of cleaning and even then it’s mostly just to remove a light build up of coralline algae on the snail guards outer surface.

That’s been my experience, though I would only go around 6 months before cleaning, there doesn’t have to be a lot of build up before it stops working.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well thanks for that TIP about the Optical SEnsor orirentation (NOT DOWN).

I've built a few various Controllers using the same type of Optical Sensor.

https://usa.banggood.com/15mA-5V-Op...YC5D6TM9bTJxTfNjf-CZIxi21txC0RExoCIssQAvD_BwE

I could never figure out why they sometimes failed. Work fine for a while, then something triggers a failure (Even when sparkly clean)
So I kind of lost trust in them. And switch to FLoat type for my DIY projects.

It just seems common sense that they would point into the water.

I guess not.

The Specs on that Sensor show it can be installed any way. Maybe Downward is least reliable.

OpticalSensorInstallation.jpg

It must be that specific Sensor with the Prism Lense. (I don't have a Apex ATO, but it puzzles me why they chose that Brand of Optical Sensor...If they are not reliable.).

The Tunze Osomolator (ATO) Sensor is also optical, points down, but never failed me in over a decade+ of use. (Except when really REALLY clouded up with Calcification/Residue).
I have TWO of Tunze's ATO's. The (sensors) do need cleaning every year or two (if that).

Last edited:

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s been my experience, though I would only go around 6 months before cleaning, there doesn’t have to be a lot of build up before it stops working.
I find the build up time is directly related to how much light is available. I have two near to my return compartment. Almost no light reaches them. They will easily do a year or more.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find the build up time is directly related to how much light is available. I have two near to my return compartment. Almost no light reaches them. They will easily do a year or more.

I was just putting my failure down to cleaning, maybe it wasn’t that, as said there was only a very slight film on it, worked again after cleaning so who knows.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 76 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back