Optical Sensory ATO frustration

His Coral Highness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this ATO system off Amazon and it seems like a common enough one with decent reviews (and a lot of the exact same just under different brand names). I have it hooked up from a reservoir to my sump and got the optic sensor to right where I needed it… and then it just fills arbitrarily, always way overshooting the mark. Is it something I am doing or are these just unreliable? Do they just project a laser straight out in front of them and a stray wire could be setting it off? Or do the just detect water right at the surface of the sensor? I’m trying to troubleshoot this thing but it’s just been a pain for me so far. Thanks for any help.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar one. Been reliable for 6 months. The only time I had trouble with it was when I changed up my back chamber filter sock configuration, and it overfilled alot. Got to keep the salt creep off of it. Do you have it refilling in your back chamber/sump or in the main tank? How many gallons?

OP
OP
His Coral Highness

His Coral Highness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it in the final baffle of my sump which has the return pump in it. I’m wondering if the problem is that the chamber is small and that has something to do with it? Or that the baffle it is facing is black and not clear. I have the sensor on the lateral most side of the sump, facing inwards.

OP
OP
His Coral Highness

His Coral Highness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the fill hose in the second baffle, sensor in the third baffle clipped on the back facing the tank.
I have a similar set up then, just with the fill hose and sensor both in the last compartment. I am wondering if the hose is getting picked up by the sensor? I tried to keep it as out-of-the-way as possible

OP
OP
His Coral Highness

His Coral Highness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I unplugged it last night to give it a rest until I figured it out, and I checked today and the tank was empty… did the hose just siphon all of the water from the ATO the the sump? I guess I have to keep the hose out of the water then…

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I unplugged it last night to give it a rest until I figured it out, and I checked today and the tank was empty… did the hose just siphon all of the water from the ATO the the sump? I guess I have to keep the hose out of the water then…
Could be did you install the backflow fail safe?
Sorry, called a "check valve".

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that exact ato. And yes keep the hose above the water. Il

It is designed to fill above the fill line. Once the final chamber lowers the pump will pump until it is above the sensor. That is how it works. It is also timed so that it will only pump the amount of time for your initial start up. That is to prevent it from just continueing to pump all your ato water. Also it will shut itself off from time to time if it pumps to long. You just have to restart it

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back