Optimal Automatic Water Change System

SethOF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have developed an optimal AWS.

I started out with a DOS based water change. That system has been on for over one year. I also have a Tunze 3155 for ATO.

Concerned about drifting in my salinity I looked into using my Apex conductivity probe to control the water change. (I know the conductivity measured by the probe is different from the salinity measured by a refractometer, but over the year there is correlation between the measurements)

I have 2 containers one labelled normal salinity new saltwater (NNSW) and the other high salinity new salt water (HNSW). The input line into the DOS was split into 2 one connected through a normally open solenoid valve to the NNSW container, the other through a normally closed valve to the HNSW. The two solenoid valves are powered by the same APEX outlet.

The APEX outlet is programmed to turn ON if the conductivity is below 34.5 (I found that this corresponds to 1.026 salinity using a refractometer).

During normal operation saltwater goes from the NNSW through the NO valve into the sump. If the outlet is switched on, the NO valve closes, the NC valve opens and saltwater now flows from the HNSW.

There are 2 other programs that turns off the outlet that the DOS is plugged into, one if the conductivity goes above 35.5, and the other if the conductivity drops below 33.

Drawing1.jpg

OP
OP
S

SethOF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a lot of trust in a conductivity probe.

I know.

The amount of saltwater exchanged a day is about 1% of the total volume, and I do check the salinity (using a refractometer) a few times a week.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have developed an optimal AWS.

I started out with a DOS based water change. That system has been on for over one year. I also have a Tunze 3155 for ATO.

Concerned about drifting in my salinity I looked into using my Apex conductivity probe to control the water change. (I know the conductivity measured by the probe is different from the salinity measured by a refractometer, but over the year there is correlation between the measurements)

I have 2 containers one labelled normal salinity new saltwater (NNSW) and the other high salinity new salt water (HNSW). The input line into the DOS was split into 2 one connected through a normally open solenoid valve to the NNSW container, the other through a normally closed valve to the HNSW. The two solenoid valves are powered by the same APEX outlet.

The APEX outlet is programmed to turn ON if the conductivity is below 34.5 (I found that this corresponds to 1.026 salinity using a refractometer).

During normal operation saltwater goes from the NNSW through the NO valve into the sump. If the outlet is switched on, the NO valve closes, the NC valve opens and saltwater now flows from the HNSW.

There are 2 other programs that turns off the outlet that the DOS is plugged into, one if the conductivity goes above 35.5, and the other if the conductivity drops below 33.

Drawing1.jpg

You can calibrate your salinity probe to match the refractometer.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 31 21.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 105 72.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.2%
Back