Optimal temperature

Misha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers,

I’m cycling my tank for almost a week now and I’m planning to keep clownfish a few inverts, some other fish (suggestions welcome) and easy corals. What is the best temperature?

I live in the Netherlands it’s only a few days per year to hot. Not really needing a AC.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres a range but most reefer's run 78 to 80, some lower, some higher. Myself I keep mine at 78

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My average is 78-79.... if it dips(when I forget to close my window) I can go to 75 without issues when they rise(I forget to crack a window or summers) I can go up to 82 with no ill effects so 78 gives you a good cushion for swings

OP
OP
Misha

Misha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright thanks all so nobody is running at 75/76? Some website say temperature for clownfish is between 72 and 78 is this temperature also good for corals?

justmee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tanks temperature have been fluctuating between 72 - 78 (depending on ambient temperature, but stays around 76 most of the time) for years, and all my fish and corals have been okay. Think about it, ocean temperatures will fluctuate between day and night.

OP
OP
Misha

Misha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tanks temperature have been fluctuating between 72 - 78 (depending on ambient temperature, but stays around 76 most of the time) for years, and all my fish and corals have been okay. Think about it, ocean temperatures will fluctuate between day and night.

True, but the ocean has a bigger buffer than my tank :p can I ask some questions in private or maybe in this thread so more people can know?

OP
OP
Misha

Misha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, ask away...

I’m planning on keeping my tank at 75/76f. My fish store said there was no need for a heater as my pump will generate enough heat, my tank was 70f. I decided to buy a heater so I’m cycling at 75f. My nano tank is 16g I’m planning on keeping clowns and easy corals as I said. Whats your opinion about the temperature? I know that clownfish will be ok between 72 and 78. But I don’t know about the corals. Your tank is doing good at 76 what kind of corals do you have?

justmee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m planning on keeping my tank at 75/76f. My fish store said there was no need for a heater as my pump will generate enough heat, my tank was 70f. I decided to buy a heater so I’m cycling at 75f. My nano tank is 16g I’m planning on keeping clowns and easy corals as I said. Whats your opinion about the temperature? I know that clownfish will be ok between 72 and 78. But I don’t know about the corals. Your tank is doing good at 76 what kind of corals do you have?

I see that you're from the Netherlands -- I'm not sure what the weather is like over there, but I would not listen to your fish store and keep a heater. I've been in this hobby for almost 10 years, and my temperature have been as low as 71 and as high as 82, and I have never had any problems with any of my fishes or corals. My mix reef tank have sps and lps, from xenia, stylophora, torts, hammers, torch, plate corals, bird nest, leather, to bubble tip anemones. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Misha

Misha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see that you're from the Netherlands -- I'm not sure what the weather is like over there, but I would not listen to your fish store and keep a heater. I've been in this hobby for almost 10 years, and my temperature have been as low as 71 and as high as 82, and I have never had any problems with any of my fishes or corals. My mix reef tank have sps and lps, from xenia, stylophora, torts, hammers, torch, plate corals, bird nest, leather, to bubble tip anemones. Hope this helps.

It varies a lot winter can be 0 celsius and summer is most of the time around 69f sometimes 88f. Did you see any difference with the different temperatures?

I really like xenia and green star polyps are they good for a beginner/young tank? (will slowly add fish and corals around week 3/4)

justmee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It varies a lot winter can be 0 celsius and summer is most of the time around 69f sometimes 88f. Did you see any difference with the different temperatures?

I really like xenia and green star polyps are they good for a beginner/young tank? (will slowly add fish and corals around week 3/4)

Welcome. Yes, everybody here is super helpful!

Xenias and GSPs are definitely great for beginners/young tanks. Make sure your tank is properly cycled before you add anything cause you don't want to hurt any animals. Remember, this hobby requires a lot of patience, so take your time and enjoy!

Forgot to answer your quest about seeing differences... I didn't notice any differences, but there could have been, but all my corals and fishes have been great.

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ocean maybe sees a fluctuation of a degree between night and day.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most natural reefs have an average yearly temperature of 78° which is likely why most recommend that temperature. Over the years, my tanks have been as low as 75° and as high as 85° (summers in AZ).

justmee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3DDBD231-3F7B-459B-8AED-36D396CB75AD.jpeg

A picture of my pride and joy...

Back