Options for a flow meter for UV sterilizers

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I have been toying with getting a UV sterilizer and I'm learning that the flow rate is very important. I searched for some kind of flow meter and all I found was one that works with the Apex controllers. I don't have an Apex and don't see myself getting one anytime soon, so does anyone know another flow meter that I can use if I get a UV sterilizer?

Thank you for your help!

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I do is buy a DC adjustable pump - find one that clarifies at full power (high flow = 99% of the time for me)… and kills protozoans at low flow / low power (when I can’t sleep because I thought I saw a spot on a tang… about 1% of the time).

JonoH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I have been toying with getting a UV sterilizer and I'm learning that the flow rate is very important. I searched for some kind of flow meter and all I found was one that works with the Apex controllers. I don't have an Apex and don't see myself getting one anytime soon, so does anyone know another flow meter that I can use if I get a UV sterilizer?

Thank you for your help!
Would a Mechanical Flow Meter on the PVC be enough?
Thats what i was planning on running with (see link below - sorry for the AUS website!)

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I do is buy a DC adjustable pump - find one that clarifies at full power (high flow = 99% of the time for me)… and kills protozoans at low flow / low power (when I can’t sleep because I thought I saw a spot on a tang… about 1% of the time).
Thank you for your reply! But how do you know what the flow rate is? Are you just estimating by what the pump is supposed to output?

Would a Mechanical Flow Meter on the PVC be enough?
Thats what i was planning on running with (see link below - sorry for the AUS website!)

Thank you for the link. I guess something like that might work. Is it reef safe?

JonoH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is another link - it actually looks like it may be ok (shows a better shot of the measurements)

DocMcC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done this using a flowmeter from Amazon (very cheap and loads of different sizes, only issue is they HATE chaeto!) and a raspberry pi and a little coding in python - using Tuya I push the data to my phone, currently monitoring:

Cooler/UV Flow
Total flow (main pump and cooler pump combine in case of failure)
Scrubber flow (seperate pump)
RO in flow
RO waste flow
mains to RO filter flow
TDS Mains
TDS RO in
TDS RO Resevoir
PH tank
PH Kalk mixer
ORP
Dissolved O2
Atmospheric CO2 (in Sump)
Humidity Sump
Temperature
Salinity

Toying with the idea of using "sonar" to do sump water depth sensing

All being pushed to Tuya to my own app. Flow meters are from Amazon, most of the rest are Atlas Scientific (PH & temp is their gravity range using a ADS1115, the rest use i2c)

Whole lot was relatively cheap (about €800) - considering Neptune charges €1,000 for their dissolved O2 probe!, Salinity, Dissolved O2 and ORP were the most expensive, cost would have €300 without those.

W.

Gundy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am only aware of flow meters that work with apex. Without a flow meter, it’s trial and error. Measure how much water flows into a bucket and measure how much water in a given amount of time, then calculate for a per hour amount. Unfortunately this can take some time to figure out. If you are wanting to control Protozoa, it’s advisable to get an oversized UV as the flow will need to fairly slow. You will also want about 3 times turnover per hour and it’s hard to achieve these criteria without having an oversized unit. Plus, even if only controlling algae, you might want to treat Protozoa later. Also, get a quality unit.

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your reply! But how do you know what the flow rate is? Are you just estimating by what the pump is supposed to output?
Exactly… I just trust the specs on the pump and pick a pump that covers the range. Close enough for my purpose.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done this using a flowmeter from Amazon (very cheap and loads of different sizes, only issue is they HATE chaeto!) and a raspberry pi and a little coding in python - using Tuya I push the data to my phone, currently monitoring:

Cooler/UV Flow
Total flow (main pump and cooler pump combine in case of failure)
Scrubber flow (seperate pump)
RO in flow
RO waste flow
mains to RO filter flow
TDS Mains
TDS RO in
TDS RO Resevoir
PH tank
PH Kalk mixer
ORP
Dissolved O2
Atmospheric CO2 (in Sump)
Humidity Sump
Temperature
Salinity

Toying with the idea of using "sonar" to do sump water depth sensing

All being pushed to Tuya to my own app. Flow meters are from Amazon, most of the rest are Atlas Scientific (PH & temp is their gravity range using a ADS1115, the rest use i2c)

Whole lot was relatively cheap (about €800) - considering Neptune charges €1,000 for their dissolved O2 probe!, Salinity, Dissolved O2 and ORP were the most expensive, cost would have €300 without those.

W.
Thank you for your reply, but but huh??? I think you may be describing a more complex install than I;m looking for.

Sounds like someone has an excuse to buy a Hydros controller LOL.
LOL, no! right now the only controller I’m interested in is ReefPi. But thank you for your reply!

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am only aware of flow meters that work with apex. Without a flow meter, it’s trial and error. Measure how much water flows into a bucket and measure how much water in a given amount of time, then calculate for a per hour amount. Unfortunately this can take some time to figure out. If you are wanting to control Protozoa, it’s advisable to get an oversized UV as the flow will need to fairly slow. You will also want about 3 times turnover per hour and it’s hard to achieve these criteria without having an oversized unit. Plus, even if only controlling algae, you might want to treat Protozoa later. Also, get a quality unit.
Thank you! This is pretty much what I was thinking. I was hoping to get a flow meter that works independently from an Apex, but short of that the amount of water pumped into a bucket over a period of time is pretty much the best estimate. I am looking at a UV for a QT system, and primarily interested in controlling parasitic Protozoa. And yeah, I would get a quality unit, not a cheap eBay unit.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are over complicating it........just buy any adjustable pump (even ones with a flow control valve). You know the maximum GPH.......you can guestimate from there based on what percentage you are running (or how open the flow control valve is).

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are over complicating it........just buy any adjustable pump (even ones with a flow control valve). You know the maximum GPH.......you can guestimate from there based on what percentage you are running (or how open the flow control valve is).
Of course I’m over complicating it, I wouldn’t know any other way to do it ;-)

I definitely can guesstimate the output of the pump and get pretty close, I can even measure it out with a bucket and a timer. I was just hoping there was a little more precise way.

I would look into this non-contacting ultrasonic flow meter if you really want to measure the flow. Should be much better than an Apex paddle wheel.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ultrasonic-flow-meter-the-tuf-2000b.924733/#post-11648468
Thank you, I’ll take a look at that link.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course I’m over complicating it, I wouldn’t know any other way to do it ;-)

I definitely can guesstimate the output of the pump and get pretty close, I can even measure it out with a bucket and a timer. I was just hoping there was a little more precise way.

Thank you, I’ll take a look at that link.
There ARE more precise ways......the precision just really isn't needed :)

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There ARE more precise ways......the precision just really isn't needed :)
I'm not really loving the options I'm finding so far, so yeah, maybe best to forget about the flowmeter.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back