Options for DC Pressure rated pumps

BoneDoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys I was wondering if you can help me out.
I am setting up a 180 and plumbing it from my basement one floor down. So I imagine it needs to go 15 ft at least.

I want to get DC pump so it’s adjustable but most of them are flow pumps only not pressure rated to go a whole floor up.
Anyone with this experience who can lend their expertise?

Thanks
Josh

JaaxReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys I was wondering if you can help me out.
I am setting up a 180 and plumbing it from my basement one floor down. So I imagine it needs to go 15 ft at least.

I want to get DC pump so it’s adjustable but most of them are flow pumps only not pressure rated to go a whole floor up.
Anyone with this experience who can lend their expertise?

Thanks
Josh
Sicce SDC 9.0 might be able to do it! Should still have decent flow at 15ft with max head around 22 ft.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can go without controllable a Iwaki or reeflo would be much better. These guys have like 40' head heights.
Most flow in the tank should come from powerheads, I have DC pumps, but they always run 100% and I have never changed that.

JaaxReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can go without controllable a Iwaki or reeflo would be much better. These guys have like 40' head heights.
Most flow in the tank should come from powerheads, I have DC pumps, but they always run 100% and I have never changed that.
I didn’t know Iwaki made controllable pumps! I’ll have to check that out! I completely agree regarding controllability. I have a controllable return pump that just runs at 100% all the time and never changes too…

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if that would do it.
However, I believe they make bigger models that might just do it.
DC pumps do not like head pressure.

JaaxReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if that would do it.
However, I believe they make bigger models that might just do it.
DC pumps do not like head pressure.
Why AC pumps are still a great option… plus the reliability over DC. I use a Rossmont controllable AC pump and it has been awesome. Too bad the company went under during COVID…

JaaxReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t know Iwaki made controllable pumps! I’ll have to check that out! I completely agree regarding controllability. I have a controllable return pump that just runs at 100% all the time and never changes too…
You said “without” controllable… didn’t catch that initially.

OP
OP
B

BoneDoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the I out guys. My main reason for DC pump is so I can turn the flow down during feeding time. I’d like to browdcast feed and would rather those things don’t get dumped into the filter socks lol

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If youre looking for one thats actually pressure rated and wont kill you as much financially as the regular red dragons/abyzz.

If you're going to do a salt mixing station and dont mind trying a pump that may have reliability issues, then you can buy one of the jebao dcp pumps for a return(unless a newer variant is better) and then repurpose it into a mixing station pump if it turns out to not be able to handle that type of head pressure

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone missing the boat here. I've been using the jebao 10000 for my basement sump for a long time. Great pump 18 feet of head. For OP. You want the 20000. And use cinder blocks and elevate your sump. I run my 10000 at 45% and get 700gph running about 45 to 50W. This pump has paid for itself in electricity swings multiple times. I keep a spare just in case. Never needed it in 5 years

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trick is to run 1 1/4 pvc up through floor and use a y fitting and then 1" going to your 3/4 tank fittings.

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pan world or Iwaki would be my first line choice for the non controllable AC pump
They are great, I think my Iwaki is 20 years old and still working perfect in my mixing station. But I had to take it off line because it was a greedy pig, sucking up way to much juice 24/7. DC pumps use a 2/3 less electricity even using a killawatt meter to verify.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went back & looked on posted webpage.
There are indeed bigger pumps 2000 & 3000, with the larger having 26' of head pressure.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not everybody is wanting to temp fate with the unreliability of a Jeabo... or use a brand that knowingly steals patents and IP and sells on the internet only with no presence in the US or EU for the companies that they are stealing from to sue them... then have people complain because the cost to develop new stuff is so high for a legit company. Before people get all upset, I am not talking about legit companies that abide by laws that manufacture in China... just the ones that steal IP and patents.

Panworld 150ps and BlueLine 55 are the same pump, are about 150 watts at that head and will get you 600-800 ish GPH at that head and last a LONG time while being super reliable. The next step up to the Panworld 200 or Blueline 70 is like 100-120 more watts. Larger Askoll block pumps will do the job - larger Laguna Max Flow and Fluval SP6, for example. Mag Drive is somewhat of an energy hog, but good to have around just in case as a backup... Mag 24 or 36 which you can use to change water but also can plumb online in a few minutes in a pinch.

Red Dragon and Abyzz will also get it done at a super high cost.

Turning off the pumps at feeding is not worth much, IMO. More of a fringe benefit than actual help to me. My fish don't let much food get into the rocks let alone down the drain.

If you decided on a basement sump, then it will cost you in other ways. Just have to get used to it. If you keep your fish room small, then the humidity and heat can help save on heating costs and stuff, so there are benefits too beyond just the convenience of not having to go under the tank all of the time.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do, don't tell EcoTech that you used it for head application - people have had their warranty claims denied for this. There were threads that you can find if you want. It has been a while, so perhaps they have changed. L2 might not take many less watts than a Panworld 150/Blueline 55.

I know that this is not too helpful. Sorry.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back