ORA long polyp toadstool vs TCN Weeping Willow

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if anyone has any incite into these two strains (indeed, are they two different strains?)?

I’ve searched for information and adult photos with little success. I will attach photos of frags, but honestly at frag size I can’t really tell how differently they may appear as they mature.

Also, I was wondering if these long polyps toadstools differ from other toadstools substantially in care requirements for looking their best or in general hardiness?

Thanks!

ORA long polyp
IMG_4182.JPG

TCN “weeping willow”
IMG_4183.JPG

fragguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure but I believe the weeping willows polyps move freely with the currents where as the long polyp has much more rigid polyps which generally stay in place
That is correct. Without question, they are different toadstools.

The polyp length on the Weeping Willow will reach close to four inches. It is that extreme polyp length that allows it to flow with the current so elegantly. The ORA coral polyp length is roughly about one inch. Another very noticeable difference is the very tip of the polyps. On the weeping willow, the tips open to very large flat daisy like polyp tentacles compared to the ORA coral which has small polyp tentacles that tend to stay closed or open about half way. The Weeping willow in the LA picture above has not opened fully, in both total polyp length as well as the tentacles.

Attached is an image of one of our frags for better comparison.

Sarcophyton_WeepingWillow.JPG

OP
OP
Brian1f1

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The polyp length on the Weeping Willow will reach close to four inches. It is that extreme polyp length that allows it to flow with the current so elegantly. The ORA coral polyp length is roughly about one inch. Another very noticeable difference is the very tip of the polyps. On the weeping willow, the tips open to very large flat daisy like polyp tentacles compared to the ORA coral which has small polyp tentacles that tend to stay closed or open about half way. The Weeping willow in the LA picture above has not opened fully, in both total polyp length as well as the tentacles.

Thanks for the great information. Mine has never looked different than the LA one. I’ll show a pic from a couple weeks ago. Why would it consistently open to this size, shape? It looked that way for weeks. The polyps were ridged. I had it in pretty high flow and relatively high light, I’d read somewhere it likes SPS like flow (though mine wasn’t that high). Does it prefer low flow for full extension?

Thanks so much! Very little info on these!

67ad8af40db6f5fcc4502251e847fc3c.jpg

Sorry about the photo quality. I need to get an app.

fragguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the great information. Mine has never looked different than the LA one. I’ll show a pic from a couple weeks ago. Why would it consistently open to this size, shape? It looked that way for weeks. The polyps were ridged. I had it in pretty high flow and relatively high light, I’d read somewhere it likes SPS like flow (though mine wasn’t that high). Does it prefer low flow for full extension?

We keep/grow them in moderate flow but have seen them under high flow with good polyp extension. Yours seems to be retracted. Too much light will cause it to retract some. My suggestion is to relocate it to lower light. Maybe even drop it on the sand and watch it for a couple of weeks and see what it does. Experiment a little in placement location.

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I know this is a really old post, but how did things go with this? Were you able to get it to look like a weeping willow toadstool? I was thinking of getting one of these frags.

PhishScaper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is great! Which one is this? ORA? Tcn? Whitelyn?

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity, do you happen to know anywhere to purchase a toadstool like the one you shared?
Here is something worth considering. If I remember correctly, the shipping is really expensive.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 79.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.1%
Back