ORA Pearlberry

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if ORA sold two (or more) different kinds of Pearlberry. They did this with the Blue Tort... there is an original one that is very much an austera that is solid, deep blue and a second one that gets more green in it and is more like a tort. I saw both of these Blue Torts on ORA plugs at different times and sparked the whole "should your blue tort have green in it debate" which ended with "maybe." This could explain a lot of things... like how different people have different coral that were Pearlberry directly from ORA on their plugs. Dustin would know...
Ohhh good thought. You could be spot on!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know for 1,000,000% percent sure that the one that I posted in the photos is from them because I purchased it on their plugs from a ORA LFS and saw it with my own eyes (I had them order it for me). If there is a second one, then I want it too. :)

I wish that somebody with a slightly different looking one would chime in and say that they purchased it from ORA as well and saw that with their own eyes.

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an ORA Pearlberry that I purchased from a very reliable source here on R2R. It was only 3/4" when I got it. I'll take a pic tomorrow when I am back at my office. I think they can look different in different tanks, different ALK, lights, etc.

mstockmaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, I got one coming from him too.
That should be legit, I have some other corals reserved from him as well. If you haven't you should check out his tank build in the large tanks section. It's some next level stuff.

This is my pearlberry, from a different source in Ohio but also trusted and likely closely related to AV's.
4e65022420ab88c7497b817f256630e3.jpg

Last edited:

OnPointCorals

Premier Aquaculture SPS Boutique
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would consider the one in post #68 legit based on my experiences. Very nice frag.

Are we still considering vertical lines on the coralites an indicator of not being genuine as you had said.

If that is the case WWC and BOOM Corals would be ruled out. That wouldn’t make sense to me. They are two reputable sellers.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are we still considering vertical lines on the coralites an indicator of not being genuine as you had said.

If that is the case WWC and BOOM Corals would be ruled out. That wouldn’t make sense to me. They are two reputable sellers.
For what it’s worth I have bought several pearlberry in an attempt to find the real one. The current closest I have is from a former ORA employee’s personal tank. He said that ORA had “multiple” pearlberry, whatever that means. (JDA May be into something) For me this is why I have it labeled ORA pb.

I’m going to try and buy from some of those posted/mentioned in this thread for comparison, because first I almost feel like I just want all the “pearlberrys”, and second, anything I can find that looks like the original pictured on the ORA site would be great. It’s probably my favorite coral.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still 100% positive that the stripes on the corallites are not right for the one that I had. If ORA does/did have more than one, then all bets are off. Man... I wish that we could find out for sure.

The one that I have is VERY difficult under LED - not impossible or anything, but harder than under MH, VHO or T5 (yes, this was a coral when VHO were still used :) ). In any case, it is not an easy coral in any system - if you lose one, do not take it personally.

Rossco's ad PotO look legit to me.

rossco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks dead on.

Could I convince you to sell me a piece? :)

He sad it "was mine".........

Sadly, “was” is the key word. I lost it years ago when I upgraded tanks. I did get a new frag from Your Reef a while back to start over with. I was going to recommend trying Your Reef to source a frag, but I called John today and he lost his recently.

OnPointCorals

Premier Aquaculture SPS Boutique
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am still 100% positive that the stripes on the corallites are not right for the one that I had. If ORA does/did have more than one, then all bets are off. Man... I wish that we could find......

well I got a pack in today from AV99 which included a ORA Pearlberry. His does have the vertical stripes on the coralites and I would consider him a very serious collector.

I just don’t know. This is my 4th version of Pearlberry trying to find the real deal.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back