IMG_1195.jpg

P.S sorry for the bad cell phone shot..

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of these on this thread are not the real deal, IMO. I have no doubt that they were sold as Pearlberry, but also little doubt that they ever came from ORA. Pearlberry does not have vertical lines in the coloration of the corallites. They do not branch very much either that I have ever seen. TangingOut photo looks oversaturated, but legit.

Find an old-school reefer who lives near you who still has the MH who probably got one when ORA still sold them. These folks are not often online anymore, but will sometimes go to club meetings. There are a lot of these reefers around in every city. They will have real deal since they most likely bought them on ORA plugs.

OnPointCorals

Premier Aquaculture SPS Boutique
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A lot of these on this thread are not the real deal, IMO. I have no doubt that they were sold as Pearlberry, but also little doubt that they ever came from ORA. Pearlberry does not have vertical lines in the coloration of the corallites. They do not branch very much either that I have ever seen. TangingOut photo looks oversaturated, but legit.

Find an old-school reefer who lives near you who still has the MH who probably got one when ORA still sold them. These folks are not often online anymore, but will sometimes go to club meetings. There are a lot of these reefers around in every city. They will have real deal since they most likely bought them on ORA plugs.

Hmm according to your description WWC is selling a fake PB. This is interesting. The plot thickens!

https://worldwidecorals.com/ora-pearlberry-acropora-3880.html

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Maybe I misunderstood you, but the picture you posted has vertical lines in the colored parts on the corallites. ?

OnPointCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We need a real authority, that has been around for a long time to weigh in on what we should look for to feel comfortable we have a real ORA Pearlberry.
Is it just too removed from it's original source (ORA Farm) to say definitively that this or that is a genuine piece? I feel like even well respected sellers are selling pieces that could be in question (no fault of theirs). Is it at all possible that ORA had more than one colony they sold as Pearlberry?

I really want to find and grow out a real one. Too much time can be invested, 8, 10 months, a year to find out the mini colony doesn't look right.

J Rog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say that there are some employees of ORA that have the coral in their personal tanks. :)

Also every real pearlberry has very smooth branches and in my opinion is one of the major ways to spot imitations. JDA mentioned this before.

olecaptainj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would HIGHLY doubt @WWC I’d selling a fake ORA PB. Would also be discouraging if it is, lol

I have a frag of it from them but it’s too small and still a bit brown to take a pic of.

@WWC can you chime in on your stock?

OnPointCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would HIGHLY doubt @WWC I’d selling a fake ORA PB. Would also be discouraging if it is, lol

I have a frag of it from them but it’s too small and still a bit brown to take a pic of.

@WWC can you chime in on your stock?

I most definitely agree, but as was mentioned earlier the vertical lines on the coralites may be an indicator of not being legit (not my words). The pic on the WWC site has very visible vertical lines.

Let's see those Pearlberry guys!

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Notice how the pic from ORA, the corallites have a very defined edge, like a cup. They are flat cup shaped and almost flat/edged at the top like a table, not rounded. Only the lower branches do they appear more rounded, but near the tips the shape is very distinct.
Capture.JPG

But maybe its just the bad picture as it's hard to see the clear details of the corallites in that other guy's colonies.

Last edited:

jporter17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a couple pictures of a colony I had a few years ago. Purchased from Unique Corals in NYC. I've just acquired a frag off this original colony and have it growing again in the new tank. Without a doubt one of the prettiest acroporas out there. JP
IMG_8019.jpg
IMG_8969.jpg

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if ORA sold two (or more) different kinds of Pearlberry. They did this with the Blue Tort... there is an original one that is very much an austera that is solid, deep blue and a second one that gets more green in it and is more like a tort. I saw both of these Blue Torts on ORA plugs at different times and sparked the whole "should your blue tort have green in it debate" which ended with "maybe." This could explain a lot of things... like how different people have different coral that were Pearlberry directly from ORA on their plugs. Dustin would know...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back