ORA Pearlberry???

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Hi everyone,

About a year ago I bought some frags from a member here which included a "Pearlberry". Now I know that this coral is fairly hard to come by these days so I was skeptical of its validity. While it has always been a nice coral, I've never believed it to be a legit Pearlberry, until now. About 2 months ago I changed up my lighting a bit and this coral has morphed quite a bit. And as it did so, I started to think that it did in fact, look like the Pearlberry that I once had many years ago. So I did some searching through old tank threads and my photo bucket account and was fortunate enough to find one of my old pictures of a definitive ORA Pearlberry that I bought from my LFS (which closed years ago). Although the picture quality of the old frag isn't all that great, there is no doubting the fact that it is a real Pearlberry. As it is on the notoriously PITA, ORA frag plug.

0.jpeg

And here is what I have today. The growth form and coloring are both very similar to the original. Which is no surprise, now that my lighting is a closer representation of what I was running back then as well.

IMG_2505 2.jpeg

The colony in the picture above was basically all green w/ blue tips under my old lighting that consisted of LED/T5. Now that it is under the same lighting, with the addition of 250w metal halides, the colony has lightened up a bit and started to display the trademark pearlesence (which is basically impossible to catch on camera... at least for me) that made the ORA Pearlberry so sought after in the first place.

So what do you guys think? Is it the real deal or no?

OP
OP
DIYreefer

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Looks very similar, not 100% certain but looks a lot like it but brighter.

Agreed. I think the difference regarding the brightness is my ability to get better pictures now than I did 15 years ago, lol. The old picture was the best I could do at the time and the new picture (while still the best that I can do) is a far better representation to what the coral actually looks like in my tank.

Hugster78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s it. Very common to find. TSA, WWC, CC all have it listed today. Compare with there’s.

OP
OP
DIYreefer

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
That’s it. Very common to find. TSA, WWC, CC all have it listed today. Compare with there’s.

From what I've gathered there has been some debate over whether or not the ones most vendors are selling are actual ORA Pearlberries. Which honestly, is just splitting hairs IMO. I'll definitely take a look at theirs though, thanks for the suggestion!

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not very easy to find the real deal.
Actually very difficult to find.
Agree, most are fakes. Vendors don't know anymore than anyone else. If you owned the original it's unmistakable in person.

I hope I'm wrong, but those two pics look like different species based on coralite structure. The first picture looks right..........the second not so much.

I also agree it's very hard to photograph how it looks in person.

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pearlberry is a weird coral. Mine is a very fast grower, but Its the only coral that I’ve ever seen that can change colors so quickly (from blue to green). I will agree that second photo looks suspect.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice coral I had years ago. Not sure I buy into the whole lineage obsession which is what drives insane prices. Just because someone got a wild piece once upon a time, cultivated it, gave it a name and a price tag doesn't make it any different from an identical wild piece from the same region. Just don't think all "fakes" are fakes. And of course, something cultivated/photographed under just MH, T5 or LED may look completely different in your tanks params and lighting.

Ancient Mariner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to go by coloration because of the differences under lighting type and camera. Morphologically it seems to be similar to an ORA Pearlberry with the corallites shades darker and the branch tips purplish. Here’s mine, directly shipped from ORA on their famous plastic plug under predominately white LED’s:
IMG_1313.jpeg

And under 20K metal halides
IMG_1314.jpeg

(I did lessen the saturation of the MH pic but it actually is pretty close to the true look.)

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anyone saying the ORA Pearlberry is easy to find, doesn't know the story and just how rare they actaully are.

While I don't care for the "give it a name and hike up the price" game, the ORA Pearlberry (along with many original ORA pieces) doesn't really fit this category. It comes from a time when name and lineage MATTERED. We knew EXACTLY what we were getting. How it would grow, what PAR it wanted, how much flow, etc.

Almost every ORA Pearlberry I have seen recently is not legit. It is my favorite piece I have ever kept and I very badly want one again but I want the true Pearlberry that I grew to love so long ago.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost every ORA Pearlberry I have seen recently is not legit. It is my favorite piece I have ever kept and I very badly want one again but I want the true Pearlberry that I grew to love so long ago.

How does the hobbyist determine what is, is not, the real Pearlberry?

I know when I purchased frags years ago through LA/DD and it was ORA they would include a certificate. Is this still something they do? Or if bought directly through ORA (I don't remember if they do that or not) do they include one?

It always makes me chuckle in a way as the ORA Pearlberry seems to come up a lot when fellow hobbyist go through several pages trying to determine which is the real deal. Not directed at you in anyway but it does make me wonder what proof is there when these come up?

ORA states that it resembles Acropora desalwii but that they have not made a positive identification.

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Where did ORA go? I’ve been out of the hobby for quite some time. I had many ORA frags on the black plugs (pearlberry included). If/when I fall into sticks again, many of the OG ones are what I want to have again. Might be a pipe dream though.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 43 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 155 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.1%
Back