Orange back Fairy Wrasse killed and was eating my Gobie

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the last 2 weeks I got an orange back Fairy Wrasse. He was going to spend a few weeks in my FOWLR tank (55G cube) with 6 other fish and then be moved to my 90G mixed reef tank. The 90G is a "semi aggressive" tank but does have some medium sized non-aggressive fish in it also. I rarely see anything other than normal territorial behavior from any of the fish in either tank.

Everyone has been fine in the smaller tank for the last 2 weeks. Yesterday, I saw my Firefly Gobie on the sand in the corner dying and right after I noticed him I saw the wrasse basically eating him alive. I got the Gobie into a safe location and he had huge chunks taken out of his back and tail. He died during the night. Sad times. Clearly the Wrasse attacked him and was intent on eating him for dinner. I know Firefly Gobies are pretty docile and make easy targets for aggressive species but after almost 2 weeks the problem starts?

Now I'm concerned if I put the Wrasse into my larger tank (where I'll never catch him) he'll go after my other less aggressive fish that I've had for years. My concern is also that if he stays in the FOWLR tank he'll just pick another fish to go after. Anyone have experience with this or an opinion? I'm not adverse to finding the Wrasse a new home instead of keeping him if it means my other fish will be safer but he is a great looking fish.

The fish in both tanks are fed well (2 times day) once with frozen mysis shrimp and then a mixture of pellets later in the day. I feel they are fed enough that food aggression shouldn't be an issue so now I'm scratching my head because I've never had a fish get eaten alive by another fish in 10 years of keeping marine aquariums.

OP
OP
fodsod

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure it was the wrasse that injured the goby? Many creatures will avail themselves of a free meal (any free meal).
Literally watched him do it. So I'm 99% sure it was him. The Gobie was fine an hour before I saw him being attacked by the Wrasse.

Atherial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's weird. I've had my orange back fairy wrasse for months now with several cowardly fish and haven't had any problems.

Chris4reef

Innovative Marine Nano Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a few orange backs and never seen them be aggressive to other fish. Maybe other similar wrasses if he has been established in a tank for awhile.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never seen or heard of a Cirrhilabrus aurantidorsalis seeing a tank mate as food and then going over to try and kill it and eat it. Firefish are very very d and shy fish, so aggression from the aurantidorsalis can be expected, but not like this…..

Wdym by you saw the goby in the corner dying? Was it breathing rapidly, was there an infection noticeable or disease? Injuries prior to the “attack” from the wrasse?

OP
OP
fodsod

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never seen or heard of a Cirrhilabrus aurantidorsalis seeing a tank mate as food and then going over to try and kill it and eat it. Firefish are very very d and shy fish, so aggression from the aurantidorsalis can be expected, but not like this…..

Wdym by you saw the goby in the corner dying? Was it breathing rapidly, was there an infection noticeable or disease? Injuries prior to the “attack” from the wrasse?
1 hour before I saw the Gobie he was swimming around as normal. Then I see him on the sand with 2 giant chunks of flesh removed from his back. Literally 2 seconds after that I see the Wrasse attack him again and take another bite. I immediately scooped the Gobie out and put him into a protective container. The only thing wrong with him was the 3-4 giant hunks of his back and tail missing.

During all of that none of the other fish were even paying attention to what was occurring. It was just between the Wrasse and the Gobie. Obviously this is a isolated incident since no one seems to to have seen a similar event. I've been doing this for 10 years and I've never seen it before but I've never owned a Wrasse either.

I do my research prior to buying new fish just to ensure the highest possibility of the fish tolerating each other. This was a total surprise to me.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 hour before I saw the Gobie he was swimming around as normal. Then I see him on the sand with 2 giant chunks of flesh removed from his back. Literally 2 seconds after that I see the Wrasse attack him again and take another bite. I immediately scooped the Gobie out and put him into a protective container. The only thing wrong with him was the 3-4 giant hunks of his back and tail missing.

During all of that none of the other fish were even paying attention to what was occurring. It was just between the Wrasse and the Gobie. Obviously this is a isolated incident since no one seems to to have seen a similar event. I've been doing this for 10 years and I've never seen it before but I've never owned a Wrasse either.

I do my research prior to buying new fish just to ensure the highest possibility of the fish tolerating each other. This was a total surprise to me.
I have seen aggression at this level from large Aurantidorsalis in too small of a tank. In a 55G it doesn’t surprise me he went for the goby, those guys are peaceful and can terrorise their tank mates with cleaning.
The tank size is also too small for a Cirrhilabrus that is rather territorial and aggressive.

OP
OP
fodsod

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen aggression at this level from large Aurantidorsalis in too small of a tank. In a 55G it doesn’t surprise me he went for the goby, those guys are peaceful and can terrorise their tank mates with cleaning.
The tank size is also too small for a Cirrhilabrus that is rather territorial and aggressive.
Thanks for jumping in. In your experience is my 90G mixed reef with 8 other fish his size or larger big enough?

OP
OP
fodsod

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the goby owe your Fairy Wrasse any money?
It appears he owed him........................... lunch lol. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

I've been in this a while and I hate losing critters of any kind but if it makes a good joke please don't hold back. You have to laugh at stuff or life will be miserable.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for jumping in. In your experience is my 90G mixed reef with 8 other fish his size or larger big enough?
Honestly 90 is the size I had my Melanomarginatus in which is a similar sized wrasse but supposedly more aggressive. Mine was incredibly peaceful and loved his 4’ tank.
I’ll always miss this guy and would love another some day.
P.S. This guy was called dumbo and the second photo shows those huge fins.
6365D856-7BDC-4348-BB4C-EDD4A6DC8933.jpeg

80AE025E-DD63-4795-9181-AD8E3A9B2002.jpeg

OP
OP
fodsod

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly 90 is the size I had my Melanomarginatus in which is a similar sized wrasse but supposedly more aggressive. Mine was incredibly peaceful and loved his 4’ tank.
I’ll always miss this guy and would love another some day.
P.S. This guy was called dumbo and the second photo shows those huge fins.
6365D856-7BDC-4348-BB4C-EDD4A6DC8933.jpeg

80AE025E-DD63-4795-9181-AD8E3A9B2002.jpeg
Perfect name lol. Great looking fish.

I had already decided short of someone telling me it was a death sentence to all other fish I was moving the Wrasse to the big tank today. Looks like that plan will still be the way to go.

zeddiamond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a 5 inch Lunare Wrasse, he's very aggressive when eating, My Humu Humu Trigger keeps it in check, as he is the dominate fish of the tank. So i just purchase a Melanurus Wrasse this week. I researched that multiple wrasse can live together. Sadly they sent a very small specimen and the Lunare Wrasse hunts him down relentlessly. The Melanurus Wrasse survives by staying buried in the sand, but because of this isn't eating, which is not promising for survival. The Lunare Wrasse enjoys killing inverts for fun. I used to keep live gulf shrimp in the tank for my Snowflake Eels, Triggerfish, and Wrasse. The Eels and Trigger only kill them when hungry, but the Lunare Wrasse will kill them all, as many as 10.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 24.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 51 25.4%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 47 23.4%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 49 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back