Orange back fairy wrasse tank mates

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Mccoskers flasher in qt right now and thinking of getting a orange back to go with it for the month. The qt is a 15 gallon and then they will be going into my display. 4ft long 2ft wide 16 inches tall 73G with a 30 gallon sump total volume 100G. In the tank now is a pair of clowns a one spot foxface a royal gramma and a pin tail fairy wrasse. And in the future I plan to add a flame hawk, melanurus wrasse, yellow coris wrasse, and a bristletooth tang. I’m wondering if
1. The orange back fairy and Mccoskers flasher would do ok together in a 15G for a month?
2. would the orange back be good once it goes into my dt and not be aggressive
There isn’t much info out there on the orange backs so any help is appreciated!

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit: looking at a pink margin wrasse instead of orange back, but same circumstances

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Mccoskers flasher in qt right now and thinking of getting a orange back to go with it for the month. The qt is a 15 gallon and then they will be going into my display. 4ft long 2ft wide 16 inches tall 73G with a 30 gallon sump total volume 100G. In the tank now is a pair of clowns a one spot foxface a royal gramma and a pin tail fairy wrasse. And in the future I plan to add a flame hawk, melanurus wrasse, yellow coris wrasse, and a bristletooth tang. I’m wondering if
1. The orange back fairy and Mccoskers flasher would do ok together in a 15G for a month?
2. would the orange back be good once it goes into my dt and not be aggressive
There isn’t much info out there on the orange backs so any help is appreciated!
The Orange Back will likely kill the mccoskers in that small of a QT. These guys are known for being more boisterous and considering you have 2 shy wrasses that don’t do too well with aggression, I wouldn’t do it.
Edit: looking at a pink margin wrasse instead of orange back, but same circumstances
This changes things a lot. Pink Margin’s are more boisterous than Orange Backs IME. Pintails don’t do well with boisterous species and stress. Carpenter flashers are similar but they can stand up for themselves to some other species.

Considering your tank is unusually shallow as well, a Pink Margin gets large and the larger wrasses use more of the upper water column than other wrasses do IME. These guys also use more length and I would put these guys in a 5-6’ tank with 2’ height.

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Orange Back will likely kill the mccoskers in that small of a QT. These guys are known for being more boisterous and considering you have 2 shy wrasses that don’t do too well with aggression, I wouldn’t do it.

This changes things a lot. Pink Margin’s are more boisterous than Orange Backs IME. Pintails don’t do well with boisterous species and stress. Carpenter flashers are similar but they can stand up for themselves to some other species.

Considering your tank is unusually shallow as well, a Pink Margin gets large and the larger wrasses use more of the upper water column than other wrasses do IME. These guys also use more length and I would put these guys in a 5-6’ tank with 2’ height.
Thank you, such a bummer because the pink margin is absolutely gorgeous but I’ll just stick to the Mccoskers and maybe get another flasher in the future. Thank you so much for your help. Any other peaceful wrasses you would reccomend to add in the future?

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got an Orange Back, Pink Margin and a McCoskers as well as a couple more flashers in a 4ft tank. The Pink Margin chased the Orange Back briefly but now all is peaceful. I agree the 15g is qt is too small for those two.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, such a bummer because the pink margin is absolutely gorgeous but I’ll just stick to the Mccoskers and maybe get another flasher in the future. Thank you so much for your help. Any other peaceful wrasses you would reccomend to add in the future?
There are way too many peaceful wrasses you could have haha.
It’s best if you make a list and then we can sort through it :)

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 14 38.9%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.8%
Back