Orange lighting gels?

OnlyGenusCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure where to post this, so if I failed by putting it here, please feel free to move it Mods.

So, I've been thinking about how cool my tank looks when I have my orange lens, blue light blocking, glasses on. The blue lights get the corals fluorescing nicely, but then I can see the tank in a more natural feeling color spectrum. I've been thinking about, at least temporarily, affixing orange lighting gel to the outside of the tank so I can always see it that way. Have others already done this? Why don't I see this more? I'm sure there is a reason it's a bad idea...

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Not sure where to post this, so if I failed by putting it here, please feel free to move it Mods.

So, I've been thinking about how cool my tank looks when I have my orange lens, blue light blocking, glasses on. The blue lights get the corals fluorescing nicely, but then I can see the tank in a more natural feeling color spectrum. I've been thinking about, at least temporarily, affixing orange lighting gel to the outside of the tank so I can always see it that way. Have others already done this? Why don't I see this more? I'm sure there is a reason it's a bad idea...
Ive used the glasses for filtering out blue and not for me but if you enjoy the effect- go for it

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I installed some orange glass filters in front of a LPS coral exhibit to show the fluorescence better - it worked pretty well, but water would get between the two glass panes and had to be cleaned.
Jay

OP
OP
OnlyGenusCaps

OnlyGenusCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed some orange glass filters in front of a LPS coral exhibit to show the fluorescence better - it worked pretty well, but water would get between the two glass panes and had to be cleaned.
Thanks for the useful reply! I was thinking by starting out just scotch taping the gel along the top, I might avoid water between. We'll see. Good to know it can work!

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.1%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 50 25.1%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 47 23.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back