Orange sea star

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this orange sea star for AU$30 at my lfs and I absolutely love it!
89DFCECB-0CE4-4983-A056-CA3286C1CBFC.jpeg
D1FBDCD3-2C72-4B05-A6B2-E3A6436C3ED4.jpeg

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Something to consider from one persons experience

OP
OP
DeniableArc

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something to consider from one persons experience

Thanks for sharing, I will watch it closely.

OP
OP
DeniableArc

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has not moved much, seems to stay up top on the glass. There is plenty of live rock and sponges in the display. I keep my tank at 25c.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately not. I had a large amount of live rock covered in sponges and it chewed through that in no time.
Do you have any other stars?
I assume the top photo was in the LFS?

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Unfortunately not. I had a large amount of live rock covered in sponges and it chewed through that in no time.
Oh I’m sorry! :( I know starfish are hard to keep longterm typically. I just got a West African Biscuit I hope he lives awhile…he eats algae and algae pellets. He’s a bit different than this biscuit but similar.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the biscuits a slightly easier species as we know what they eat? Or are they just as hard as the linckias and fromias?
I’d love a starfish that’s not a Brittle or Serpent but trying to find an easy one like them is a nightmare.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Are the biscuits a slightly easier species as we know what they eat? Or are they just as hard as the linckias and fromias?
I’d love a starfish that’s not a Brittle or Serpent but trying to find an easy one like them is a nightmare.
I think it's completely dependent upon the particular species (there are a ton of "biscuit" starfish species)

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m not exactly sure about this particular type because there isn’t a lot of information about them and there are several biscuit types but I know they aren’t like linckia or fromia but starfish as a whole aren’t known to live a long time in captivity especially when compared to the wild. I know several people who’ve had a West African Biscuit for awhile but this species in particular and I just got one a week ago. Biscuit starfish are rarer and aren’t often imported to other countries it isn’t naturally found in. Read my thread here…it explains them well.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/biscuit-starfish.918660/ What I can say is that not a lot of info is known about them which is why there’s not a lot of info online. But I do know they like cooler tank temperatures of around 72-77 F, are opportunistic feeders/feed on algae, and reef safe with caution. I did a lot of research on them or at least read the little I could find and messaged lots of people. And I feed mine algae pellets and I’m hoping he lives awhile.

Last edited:

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@i cant think there are species that are primarily carnivorous which might be easier to keep as long as you spot feed them (honestly I get the feeling not many people spot feed their stars regardless of species and doing so could likely extend their live a little bit at the very least)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@i cant think there are species that are primarily carnivorous which might be easier to keep as long as you spot feed them (honestly I get the feeling not many people spot feed their stars regardless of species and doing so could likely extend their live a little bit at the very least)
My worry is many of the carnivorous guys are quite large - I’d love a star for my nano or my 4’ tank that isn’t too large and is still relatively easy.
I guess I just need to keep hunting for more mini brittlestars.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My worry is many of the carnivorous guys are quite large - I’d love a star for my nano or my 4’ tank that isn’t too large and is still relatively easy.
I guess I just need to keep hunting for more mini brittlestars.
What size tank do you have?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank do you have?
My nano is a RS Max Nano so total volume is 20g, my dimensions are 18”x15”x18”. I have the issue of a Griessingeri goby which is a slower moving fish and only around 1 inch.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back