Orange spot goby in 5.5 gallon?

PizzaIan339

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am hoping to maybe set up another tank. I was going to do a simple 5.5 gallon macro algae display tank inspired by @Tigahboy as I have a lid (ordered wrong lid for 10 gallon and amazon said that they would replace it free) and I have a heater, rock, light, power head and I would only need the sand and the tank. I was looking for stocking options for this tank down the line and I found this guy.
IMG_5856.jpeg

An orange spotted goby. I thought he was awesome and as I am planning on having tons of caves and a 2-3” sand bed I thought it could make a good fit. Would it? I was thinking about a yasha but I am adding one to my 15 gallon in a few months so I would prefer to not have another or something similar. I love this guys little cute face as it is ugly but in a cute way! I am also planning on having little inverts like sexy shrimp and others but I really wanted a fish to give a little more action to the tank.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am hoping to maybe set up another tank. I was going to do a hyper simple 5.5 gallon macro algae display tank as I have a lid (ordered wrong lid for 10 gallon) and I have a heater, rock, light, power head and I would only need the sand and the tank. I was looking for stocking options for this tank down the line and I found this guy.
IMG_5856.jpeg

An orange spotted goby. I thought he was awesome and as I am planning on having tons of caves and a 2-3” sand bed I thought it could make a good fit. Would it? I was thinking about a yasha but I am adding one to my 15 gallon in a few months so I would prefer to not have another or something similar. I love this guys little cute face as it is ugly but in a cute way!
If I remember this guy is on the bigger side for gobies. in a 5 gallon maybe consider a clown goby or other tiny fish?

OP
OP
PizzaIan339

PizzaIan339

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I remember this guy is on the bigger side for gobies. in a 5 gallon maybe consider a clown goby or other tiny fish?
Live aquaria said 10 gallon minimum so I thought maybe 5.5 could be ok. I will definitely consider other options though! I just want something cool with great character!

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would think it’s okay they have some other small gobies like a yellow line that could work too. I’ve seen a goby in a pico tank at WWC which I wouldn’t recommend but 5 gallons is far from less than a gallon tank.

OP
OP
PizzaIan339

PizzaIan339

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think it’s okay they have some other small gobies like a yellow line that could work too. I’ve seen a goby in a pico tank at WWC which I wouldn’t recommend but 5 gallons is far from less than a gallon tank.
Ok thank you I looked into the yellow line goby and it is small so I will keep it as an option but I still like the orange spotted goby a lot more.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live aquaria said 10 gallon minimum so I thought maybe 5.5 could be ok. I will definitely consider other options though! I just want something cool with great character!
If LA recommends a 10 gallon minimum, why do you think a 5.5 would be ok?? (Minimum means this is the smallest tank it should go in...)

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you I looked into the yellow line goby and it is small so I will keep it as an option but I still like the orange spotted goby a lot more.
Put the orange spot in the 15 gallon and move the yasha to the 5.5.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am hoping to maybe set up another tank. I was going to do a simple 5.5 gallon macro algae display tank inspired by @Tigahboy as I have a lid (ordered wrong lid for 10 gallon and amazon said that they would replace it free) and I have a heater, rock, light, power head and I would only need the sand and the tank. I was looking for stocking options for this tank down the line and I found this guy.
IMG_5856.jpeg

An orange spotted goby. I thought he was awesome and as I am planning on having tons of caves and a 2-3” sand bed I thought it could make a good fit. Would it? I was thinking about a yasha but I am adding one to my 15 gallon in a few months so I would prefer to not have another or something similar. I love this guys little cute face as it is ugly but in a cute way! I am also planning on having little inverts like sexy shrimp and others but I really wanted a fish to give a little more action to the tank.
If I’m honest, these guys are of the smaller side in the genus IME.
It should be alright and I have found these guys to be adorable as they want to know everything that’s going on (much like a Hawkfish but much more laid back).

Put the orange spot in the 15 gallon and move the yasha to the 5.5.
If I’m honest, a yasha can reach the same size as this species can. If the orange spot isn’t suited (which it is), then IMHO, neither is a yasha goby.

Gobies don't do much other than just sit there most of the time. Consider some Skunk Cleaner Shrimp, they are always active and interesting to watch and have a very low bioload.
i highly disagree with this, gobies don’t ’just Sit there’ and do actually have their own mini personalities. It’s just in larger systems you don’t get that personality. I’ve watched cleaners do nothing whilst I’ve had (and still have) gobies that perch and watch me or follow me round the tank.
Here’s just some of my gobies - I have 8 in total but 7 in my nano.
IMG_8281.jpeg

IMG_8157.jpeg

OP
OP
PizzaIan339

PizzaIan339

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If LA recommends a 10 gallon minimum, why do you think a 5.5 would be ok?? (Minimum means this is the smallest tank it should go in...)
I looked around and saw a few other people saying that they have one in a 5.5 or they have similar gobies in a 5.5.

OP
OP
PizzaIan339

PizzaIan339

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I’m honest, these guys are of the smaller side in the genus IME.
It should be alright and I have found these guys to be adorable as they want to know everything that’s going on (much like a Hawkfish but much more laid back).

If I’m honest, a yasha can reach the same size as this species can. If the orange spot isn’t suited (which it is), then IMHO, neither is a yasha goby.

i highly disagree with this, gobies don’t ’just Sit there’ and do actually have their own mini personalities. It’s just in larger systems you don’t get that personality. I’ve watched cleaners do nothing whilst I’ve had (and still have) gobies that perch and watch me or follow me round the tank.
Here’s just some of my gobies - I have 8 in total but 7 in my nano.
IMG_8281.jpeg

IMG_8157.jpeg
Ok thanks for responding!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 26 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.1%
Back