Orange stringy algae all over tank

rweeks42

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I recently went on vacation and my RODI sensors failed and my fish sitters was unable to catch it. The salinity raised from 1.025-1.027 in a week. When I returned there was hardly any water in the return chamber so not much filtration was going on. Also all my snails died and even my 50+ baby trochus snails breeding. Corals and fish were looking better than ever. However before vacation i was fighting small patches of what I believed to be Dino’s. When I returned I believe the Dino’s blew up like crazy all over rocks sand and now starting to make corals mad. parameters upon return:
Salinity 1.027
Nitrates: 4 (my tank has established around a 1-3 nitrate range. I fight to raise it any higher)
Phosphates .08 (assuming it raised from .03 due to dead snails)
Alkalinity calcium and mg were all in their normal ranges- 8.7, 440, 1280

is this Dino’s I’m fighting? How should I begin to fight this war for the next couple months?

3BFBC440-71CE-4C9D-86AF-9D17274B6814.jpeg F2A98BB5-D129-4EE2-9D21-FAEF029673AA.jpeg

takitaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly looks like it. :( There are a few types and treatments differ so get a sample tested so you know what to try. If you have a microscope then post some pics so they can be identified. I feel for you if it is. Lost my battle a few years ago and I'm just restarting.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Beginning of dino.
Either tonight or tomorrow night turn lights off for the next 5 days . Using a turkey baster blow the stuff loose and net or siphon up. Also at night, add 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10gallons for the next 5 nights.
During the day, add 1ml of liquid bacteria per 10 gallons.
Continue to feed fish as normal BUT DO NOT FEED CORAL FOOD TO CORAL OR ADD NoPox to tank which will feed Dino.
Day 6, turn blue lights to normal schedule and whites at 10%, then add whites 5.% each day until normal schedule.
Good Bye dinos !!

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not convinced this is Dino’s.

I would get a microscope (cheap one on amazon) and post a pic under microscope so you can get a more definitive ID. Different Dino’s have different treatments that work.

To me, that your pics look like not Dino’s, but like chrysophyte.

There are very different paths to combat based on what you are actually dealing with.

OP
OP
R

rweeks42

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beginning of dino.
Either tonight or tomorrow night turn lights off for the next 5 days . Using a turkey baster blow the stuff loose and net or siphon up. Also at night, add 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10gallons for the next 5 nights.
During the day, add 1ml of liquid bacteria per 10 gallons.
Continue to feed fish as normal BUT DO NOT FEED CORAL FOOD TO CORAL OR ADD NoPox to tank which will feed Dino.
Day 6, turn blue lights to normal schedule and whites at 10%, then add whites 5.% each day until normal schedule.
Good Bye dinos !!
Can corals survive a 5 day blackout?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 71 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 67 28.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 50 21.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 47 19.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back