Orange tint on Display tank

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m looking to buy some type of orange filter to place on my tank for a constant Pop vs. only when taking pictures.

I don’t know how to shop for this type of filter so I’m hoping someone could chime in.

Here is a link to Orphek’s lens filters and it says 15k Lens. Which I can’t find something with similar numbers via web.

I have also emailed Orphek in hopes they could sell me a 30”x96” orange roll.

Here is one on Amazon that I was considering, only problem is the exterior side seems glossy which would likely make it hard to see inside?
VViViD Colorful Transparent Vinyl Car Window Tinting 30 Inch x 60 Inch 2 Roll Pack (Orange) https://a.co/d/2mjHZrB

Thanks for any buying tips!

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd think those orange goggles are probably a better solution in all aspects, not sure your eyes would ever adjust if your tank is orange and the rest of the room normal

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
@tbrown were you the one that tried this?
I talked about it but never did it. I honestly don't like the way things look through the orange glasses or orange tint but it helps for pictures.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’m looking to buy some type of orange filter to place on my tank for a constant Pop vs. only when taking pictures.
So I'd say if you're looking for more pop, decrease the white or increase the blue for your tank lights. The orange filters only help filter out the blue light when taking pictures but it's the blue that makes the coral colors pop.

I don't do it necessarily correct, but I run my blu channels and UV channels at 100%, then I bring in my reds and greens until I can just see them and back off a percent or two, then I bring up my whites until the pop goes away and back off 5-10%.

Less white makes it harder to see the fish swimming in all their glory, too much white makes the corals look drab and helps the algae grow.

What lights are you running?

OP
OP
West1

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I'd say if you're looking for more pop, decrease the white or increase the blue for your tank lights. The orange filters only help filter out the blue light when taking pictures but it's the blue that makes the coral colors pop.

I don't do it necessarily correct, but I run my blu channels and UV channels at 100%, then I bring in my reds and greens until I can just see them and back off a percent or two, then I bring up my whites until the pop goes away and back off 5-10%.

Less white makes it harder to see the fish swimming in all their glory, too much white makes the corals look drab and helps the algae grow.

What lights are you running?

Running 2 ReefiDuo extremes and one ReeFi Uno. I’ve thought about it before and I actually love the details the filters bring out in everything, LR included.

I’m going to try it, at the very least I can remove it if I don’t like it.

Just trying to figure out which tint specs to go with, wether orange or yellow. I just feel the yellow makes things a bit to bright.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Running 2 ReefiDuo extremes and one ReeFi Uno. I’ve thought about it before and I actually love the details the filters bring out in everything, LR included.

I’m going to try it, at the very least I can remove it if I don’t like it.

Just trying to figure out which tint specs to go with, wether orange or yellow. I just feel the yellow makes things a bit to bright.
I've heard of people putting it on one end of the tank rather than the front.

I thought Reef Stache may have done it...

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think he added frosted film to the back of the Cade Peninsula for LED effect, similar to how the Current USA Serene Freshwater system works.
Yeah, I remembered he did back lighting I was thinking he did one side in orange tint for photos and such but it looks like he blacked it out

OP
OP
West1

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ll wait to see if Orphek replies to my email before trying a random Amazon tint.

OP
OP
West1

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Purchased orange car window tint and here are the results…

Product IMG_5715.jpeg IMG_5716.jpeg
TCK fire ants and Yoda master frags under car tint
IMG_5719.jpeg
No filters, just iPhone pic
IMG_5718.jpeg
Yellow safety glasses w/assumed 85a tint
IMG_5717.jpeg

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
OP
OP
West1

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can thank @CodyBot for that! He's been telling me to order those for a while. I know several people that use them. I think Cody uses the brown.
Sweet!!i do like the idea of swapping colors through the day to see which I want!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back