OP
OP
silent1mezzo

silent1mezzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Already, now we're getting somewhere. Finally got the wall painted and the stand moved into place

IMG_7956.png

OP
OP
silent1mezzo

silent1mezzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Officially cycled. I used a combination of a couple small live rocks from the existing tank, filter floss and pad from the sump and then fritz 900 just for good measure. It's been a week and a half and nitrates are now at 2.1ppm.

Next steps are to transfer the existing tank (coral, fish and inverts) and move over the rest of the hardware (2 AI primes and ATO) instead of running two return pumps I'm going to use the existing one as a water change pump and backup.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Officially cycled. I used a combination of a couple small live rocks from the existing tank, filter floss and pad from the sump and then fritz 900 just for good measure. It's been a week and a half and nitrates are now at 2.1ppm.

Next steps are to transfer the existing tank (coral, fish and inverts) and move over the rest of the hardware (2 AI primes and ATO) instead of running two return pumps I'm going to use the existing one as a water change pump and backup.
Best of luck with the transfer!

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Transfer is officially complete. I had to sacrifice a chalice and a couple of zoa's that had too many pests on them but otherwise it went fairly well

5338E304-4B74-4BB2-841B-6AF20AB35BA7.jpeg
Glad the transfer went smooth for you!

OP
OP
silent1mezzo

silent1mezzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up the bubble magus curve 5 elite the other day and after a couple days breaking in it's officially skimming waste. This is the first time I've ever run a skimmer on a tank and I can't believe how much it pulls out for such a young tank.

IMG_8101.png

OP
OP
silent1mezzo

silent1mezzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also picked up a few more fish. Blue Tang, One spot foxface, and a royal gramma. I know I'll have to rehome the blue tang at some point but got him small because he's my son's favourite. The tang and foxface have been hanging out since they went into the tank. It's been really cool seeing how they interact.

IMG_8152.png IMG_8153.png

OP
OP
silent1mezzo

silent1mezzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested my RODI water the other day and realized that it was at 85ppm. My guess is that I didn't pack the DI resin well enough and it was channeling through it since only the bottom had changed colour. This forced me to install the new unit I had picked up (my old one was 7 years old in my possession and I bought it used).

Cut and painted the plywood so I would have something to screw it into. Now it frees up a lot of shelf space.

IMG_8184.png

OP
OP
silent1mezzo

silent1mezzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been working on automating some of the common tasks with Home Assistant. I have a "Meeting Mode" which now turns off the lights since it was turning my camera into only showing me as purple. Feed and Maintenance mode which turns off all of the pumps when I need it, etc...

Tunze ATO died on me so I added a Kamoer ATO. It's been fantastic (more in-depth review).

Finally, I added a lamp beside the tank to add a little more warm light into the room. Tank is located in a basement office so I needed to balance out the reef lights.

All of the fish have been doing really well. The Foxface and Blue Tang have been munching on the hair algae like it's nobody's business. The firefish and clowns just hang out in the right hand of the tank all day. The royal gramma and the goby are the shyest fish of them all, mainly coming out to eat.

FTS
IMG_8214.png

OP
OP
silent1mezzo

silent1mezzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a three month update. Lately it's been a waiting game. I've added a few new corals, the dragon soul favia went from 3 mouths to 5, the GSP exploded (no surprise). Everything else is fairly slow growing so far.
IMG_9393.png

OP
OP
silent1mezzo

silent1mezzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the 7 month update. Not much has changed to be honest. Fish are doing well, coral is _very_ slowly growing. I'm still struggling with aiptasia and have tried a few things that haven't worked yet but other than that I feel like things are going smoothly. I keep the skimmer off most of the time since I've bottomed out nitrates.

IMG_9880.png

IMG_9881.png
IMG_9882.png

OP
OP
silent1mezzo

silent1mezzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up this morning and the midas blenny was dead, stuck to one of the powerheads. It seemed perfectly healthy yesterday and never hung around that powerhead so I'm not sure what happened.

OP
OP
silent1mezzo

silent1mezzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been struggling to get my Nitrate/Phosphate's to show at all. I have Hanna checkers for both and they're consistently at 0. I try to feed 2x a day and use reef roids once a week. Any suggestions?

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been struggling to get my Nitrate/Phosphate's to show at all. I have Hanna checkers for both and they're consistently at 0. I try to feed 2x a day and use reef roids once a week. Any suggestions?
The easiest thing now will be to dose trate and phos. Diy solutions are very affordable.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back