Orchid dottyback aggression?

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I had an orchid dottyback loooooong ago and he was just fine in my tank with 2 clowns and a 6 line.
What’s the deal with everyone saying they’re super aggressive?

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine isn’t. She hangs out with the clowns and sleeps with my mandarin. She does hate my yellowline goby for some reason and chases him half heartedly until he moves to a different rock.

OP
OP
ahiggins

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t get the hate they get from this “aggression” lol but I’m sure some people have had issues.

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t get the hate they get from this “aggression” lol but I’m sure some people have had issues.

If you are at all concerned, the captive bred orchids are supposedly less aggressive than wild caught. They are also usually reasonably priced ($35 at cultivated reef).

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dottybacks can be Very aggressive. Orchid is the least aggressive one I've been around.

Folks commonly keep them with other reef fishes. The same cannot be said for most of the other Pseudochromis.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have one and i wouldn't describe it as aggressive, but it has definitely set up an area as its home turf. when i added a couple of halichoeres wrasses the dottyback definitely let them know where his cave was (and they let him know they don't care)

i'd just say you probably don't want to add small rock dwelling type fish after an orchid in a smallish tank.

Aquarist76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some dottybacks can be stinkers. I have an Indigo (which is an orchid hybrid, supposedly less aggressive) captive-bred dottyback. I have it in a 50G established reef tank with 2 maroon clowns and a Regal tang. I put a 250$ Mccullochi Dottyback in the same tank with it and he had killed it within minutes before I could even rescue the new guy. Never had any aggression problems with him before that.

The most aggressive dottyback I've come across is the Blackstripe Dottyback. I call mine "Little B***rd". He has to be in a tank by himself because he will harass any other fish I put in with him; even maroon clowns and tangs.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think because people don't give them enough space and put them with fish that claim the same type of area in the tank. They're territorial but not what I would consider aggressive.

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think because people don't give them enough space and put them with fish that claim the same type of area in the tank. They're territorial but not what I would consider aggressive.
Hes only aggressive to my firefish. Wont let firefish come out. and I'm noticing empty snail shells... looking at maybe the water bottle method to catching it

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
firefish are super timid and seem like prime dottyback targets. slender timid fish

i'd have guessed your tank was large enough that they'd coexist, but you never know

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm concerned when I put my 4 wrasses in qt in the display in 3 weeks. Tanks a 100g with 125lbs rock. Funny thing is. Orchid hangs on the complete other side. never goes to the left side where firefish hides. But when he comes out. Bam orchid races over. Lol. I'm wondering if I should try to catch him or maybe adding more fish will eventually stop it. But again my snail shells showing up lol. Another issue

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm concerned when I put my 4 wrasses in qt in the display in 3 weeks. Tanks a 100g with 125lbs rock. Funny thing is. Orchid hangs on the complete other side. never goes to the left side where firefish hides. But when he comes out. Bam orchid races over. Lol. I'm wondering if I should try to catch him or maybe adding more fish will eventually stop it. But again my snail shells showing up lol. Another issue

i wouldn't think the orchid was killing snails, they're probably just dying. what kind are they?

if you can, i'd catch it and try to add it to the tank later. let the wrasses get in there and get comfortable, but they'll probably be fine if you can't. wrasses stick up for themselves a lot better than firefish

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well like 2 shells were empty when I bought em but 2 more are empty. Ahah in the same area. If I catch him I can definitely put him in qt for awhile. But if I catch him. Most likely I'll give him away lol. I love the firefish hes so bright.

My hooded fairy gets chased by other wrasses so I'm more.concerned with the hooded a dotty but might be different who knows. It's a gamble. Lifes a gamble. I like the dotty hes so bright.

Purplelobst92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if the tank is large enough the orchid will be super chill, ive had one in a 20 gallon with 2 clowns before and it would sometimes bite my female clown which prompted me to remove it from the tank.

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an Orchid dotty back that I had for 5 years with 2 clowns, clowns went in first then the dotty. Everything I added after that got bullied to death, even cleaner shrimp were killed by it. It was a fine towards the clowns, to get rid of it I ended up having to break the tank down to catch it (good excuse to get a new tank). I have vowed to never get one again. I'm sure if it's last in it should be fine, the same as what people say about 6 line wrasse.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you just have a bad combo with the fire fish and the dottyback. If the firefish was more feisty I bet it would be fine. My dotty, chromis, and damsel have spats. Everyone fights back though so they work it out

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My orchid is being a bit of a jerk too. I have it in a 50 with a cardinal and a high fin goby. Orchid was most recent. He dive bombs the goby. Not really doing damage that I can see, but it’s discouraging. Considering sending to the sump for a spell because I want to add more livestock and I think it’ll be hard. Catching it could be a significant challenge though!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back