Order of addition post-cycle

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone in one of the FB groups I'm a part of commented on one of my posts a while ago, on when to add what elements to a new tank post-cycle. I have not been able to find that comment for the life of me, so i ask this wonderful community: in a new tank that has just cycled, when do i add fish, cuc, pods, and ultimately corals and nems to my tank, and in what order? I understand that my tank will go through the new tank uglies and that adding creatures in the proper order will help key elements establish themselves as they take care of the uglies..... at least i think i understand.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO, as long as you start out slowly and let things stabilize after you add anything new, you are doing it right. It takes a tank 6 to 12 months to mature.

I'd say a small CUC first. And when a couple of fish. Then maybe just wait or add more CUC (don't over do it). Once you have passed through the diatom stage and things are starting to stabilize (like a month or two), you can try adding other things. I'd pick out an inexpensive and hearty coral to try first. Leave anemones out of the equation for at least the first 6 months. Some anemones are pretty hearty and don't move much (rock flowers and mini-max) and others are much more 'delicate' and move around a lot until they find a home (RBTA and condys). They can cause harm to some corals.

reacclimating 2 the hobby

patience is... oh look an acro pack fs!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank is cycled you can add CUC and slowly add fish at any time(I believe you'll want to add smaller or less aggressive fish first). Pods will actually help with a cycle so you could add those as well. You'll get different opinions on adding coral/nems to your tank. Best practice is to remember slow is better in this hobby. My tank has been running about three months and I just bought some test corals.

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO, as long as you start out slowly and let things stabilize after you add anything new, you are doing it right. It takes a tank 6 to 12 months to mature.

I'd say a small CUC first. And when a couple of fish. Then maybe just wait or add more CUC (don't over do it). Once you have passed through the diatom stage and things are starting to stabilize (like a month or two), you can try adding other things. I'd pick out an inexpensive and hearty coral to try first. Leave anemones out of the equation for at least the first 6 months. Some anemones are pretty hearty and don't move much (rock flowers and mini-max) and others are much more 'delicate' and move around a lot until they find a home (RBTA and condys). They can cause harm to some corals.
I was looking at rock flowers being the nems I kept. They look amazing!

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank is cycled you can add CUC and slowly add fish at any time(I believe you'll want to add smaller or less aggressive fish first). Pods will actually help with a cycle so you could add those as well. You'll get different opinions on adding coral/nems to your tank. Best practice is to remember slow is better in this hobby. My tank has been running about three months and I just bought some test corals.
I am in no rush at all. I was thinking of adding chromis as the first fish, but as far as when cuc and pods get added, i had questions.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back