Ordering Online

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by JayL, Mar 4, 2018.

1. JayL

JayL Member

I am thinking about ordering some fish online From Live Aquaria. Has anyone ordered from them before? I was hoping to order some anthias's and a orange sholder tang. Before I do I wanted some input on what others experienced from them if any at all.

lilbalways and GoVols like this.
    Tags:

2. Syntax1235

Syntax1235 Active Member

I’ve ordered several times from Live Aquaria and Divers and have always been impressed with their packaging and healthy fish. I’ve had good luck with only one out of 20 or so fish come in doa, I was credited for the fish without issue.

JayL and GoVols like this.
  3. GoVols

GoVols "VFL" R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award MTRCMember Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I like Divers Den (WYSIWYG) in Wisconsin (for fish) better than Live Aquaia in LA.

But... That's JMO :)

4. jerseypete

jerseypete Active Member

Yea. Great place to order from. Never had an issue.

lilbalways, JayL and GoVols like this.
  5. CindyKz

CindyKz Well-Known Member

I've ordered fish twice from Divers Den (shipped from WI) Great experiences both times.

I had some corals arrive DOA from the California facility but it was due to a FedEx delay, no fault of LA. LA promptly credited my account.

I would not hesitate to order again.

6. JayL

JayL Member

I really appreciate the input. I am really thinking hard about giving them a try. How long was the wait before shipments arrived? Did any of you quarantine the fish you received? I plan on quarantining everything that goes into my main aquarium.

GoVols likes this.
  7. Pelagic One

Pelagic One Active Member R2R Supporter

Hey Jay!

I’ve bought from Divers Den, Live Aquaria and Vivid Aquariums, and have been fortunate to have had successful livestock shipments from all three. I’m on the West Coast, so weather-based shipping delays only come from East Coast vendors, for me.

And yes, I quarantine everything including anthias, who just get fed pods in the established QT tank.

Have fun with your new order!

8. GoVols

GoVols "VFL" R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award MTRCMember Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

If you order tonight, it should ship out tomorrow night for a Tuesday delivery.

JayL likes this.
  9. JayL

JayL Member

Awsome Guys thanks, I just placed my first order. Thanks for all your input.

10. falconut

falconut Active Member NJRC Member

If you ordered from the regular liveaquaria (ca), just keep in mind the salinity with be around 1.018. So, if you are putting in a qt tank, you may want to lower the salinity to match. I believe you'received not supposed to raise the salinity too quickly.

The 2 fish I got about a month ago are still doing great, just took a little to get them eating good on my foods. Both butterflies, so not unusual.

jimbau and JayL like this.
  11. JayL

JayL Member

Thanks Falconut, thats good to know about the salinity. My qt tank is already at 1.018 salinity and I use cupramine for ich. Is there anything else I should do/know about.

12. falconut

falconut Active Member NJRC Member

I was told not to leave them in the bag long after exposing to air. So, I floated the bags for about 15 minutes to equalize the temp, then one at a time poke a small hole, check the salinity. It it was close, I put them in the tank. If it was a lower I dripped for 15 minutes, then put him in. I did this one at a time for each bag, but didn't start the next bag until done with the first. I was nervous not dripping for my usual hour, but it's worked this way both times I'm done it.

JayL likes this.
  13. dede

dede Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I received my shipment from LA with live fish and inverts a day late due to FedEx. I was sure at least the fish would be dead but everything survived. I had dropped the quarantine tank to 1.018 but fish actually came in around 1.016.

I had read on this forum about stock coming in at different salinities and to have heated RODI water ready to adjust your salinity down. Also as stated above I only put a small hole in the fish's bag to test salinity while the bags temp acclimated. Then after adjusting the salinity to match the bag, I added the fish right to the tank, no drip acclimation.

Also keep the lights out and cover the sides of the tank or keep in an area with little movement around the tank so the fish can adjust.

Also, keep an eye on tracking, that is how I found out fed ex delayed my shipment. Then when they did arrive the fedex guy just dropped them on the snow and left without even letting me know they were delivered. Thank God I had been checking for them every 15 min because I was so anxious about the fish with the 24 hour delay.

JayL likes this.
  14. JayL

JayL Member

This is the first online order I have ever done. I'm a little nervous. I have one 32 gallon RODI and one 32 gallon saltwater mix at 1.025 on reserve for any issues. Also I have a 20 Gallon QT tank with a salinity of 1.018 set at 76.0 degrees (give or take 00.2 degrees depending on inside/outside temp). Wish me luck I'll post picks of the new arrivals as soon as I get them.

15. vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081 Well known Member R2R Supporter

They are 3 for 3 as far as quality, on-time shipping and size were concerned.

JayL likes this.
  16. mdrobc13

mdrobc13 Member

I've used LA extensively and Divers Den and they are very good. Healthy fish every order for the most part almost 90+% of the time from my experience. Its one of the best avail with pretty good selection and fast shipping=usually ship next day after order place. I've also use BlueZoo Aquatics and they are good also so far. Tried Freshmarine.com but they seem to have a wierd shipping process (only ship on certain days) so have ended up canceling more orders from them than placed due to the fact that after placed it has been difficult at times to figure out when I'd actually get the fish delivered.

I have used saltwaterfish.com before and will not use them again. Last couple of times fish have come in very poor condition and were either DOA or passed soon after acclimatization. Repeat shipments the same along with less than satisfactory response from their customer service mean I cannot recommend them. Have heard similar reports from a few of my friends when using them as well...so I stick primarily with the 1st two. especially LA. Acclimation for me is by drip acclimation over 30-120 mins usually. Good results.

DHill6 and JayL like this.
  17. jimbau

jimbau Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2018

LA is the best online fish supplier in the country. My only advice beside the salinity issue mentioned above is to check the weather conditions at both the sending and destination locations. For example, right now I would not order if I lived on the east coast. It is shipping delays that cause most, if not all, of the issues.

JayL likes this.
  18. Larry Linne

Larry Linne Mt.Reefer Partner Member 2018

You won't recognize the difference if you haven't ordered online before, but the packaging from LA is TOP of the line. Have always been happy with their fish and service.

JayL likes this.
  19. DHill6

DHill6 Active Member

I also won't order from SWF again. First order dead within 1 day, second DOA and of course you pay shipping on both orders that isn't refundable.

20. mike werner

mike werner Well-Known Member

don't stress I have ordered hundreds of fish from la and only had two issues.both with gold flake angels arriving way to skinny to make it.both were credited with no questions asked.unexpected for a $450 fish.they are the best choice in my opinion for online fish purchases,you can't find a 14 day guarantee at your lfs that's for sure

Draft saved Draft deleted