Ordering Online

JayL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking about ordering some fish online From Live Aquaria. Has anyone ordered from them before? I was hoping to order some anthias's and a orange sholder tang. Before I do I wanted some input on what others experienced from them if any at all.

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve ordered several times from Live Aquaria and Divers and have always been impressed with their packaging and healthy fish. I’ve had good luck with only one out of 20 or so fish come in doa, I was credited for the fish without issue.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've ordered fish twice from Divers Den (shipped from WI) Great experiences both times.

I had some corals arrive DOA from the California facility but it was due to a FedEx delay, no fault of LA. LA promptly credited my account.

I would not hesitate to order again.

OP
OP
JayL

JayL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really appreciate the input. I am really thinking hard about giving them a try. How long was the wait before shipments arrived? Did any of you quarantine the fish you received? I plan on quarantining everything that goes into my main aquarium.

Pelagic One

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Jay!

I’ve bought from Divers Den, Live Aquaria and Vivid Aquariums, and have been fortunate to have had successful livestock shipments from all three. I’m on the West Coast, so weather-based shipping delays only come from East Coast vendors, for me.

And yes, I quarantine everything including anthias, who just get fed pods in the established QT tank.

Have fun with your new order!

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really appreciate the input. I am really thinking hard about giving them a try. How long was the wait before shipments arrived? Did any of you quarantine the fish you received? I plan on quarantining everything that goes into my main aquarium.
If you order tonight, it should ship out tomorrow night for a Tuesday delivery.

OP
OP
JayL

JayL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awsome Guys thanks, I just placed my first order. Thanks for all your input.

falconut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you ordered from the regular liveaquaria (ca), just keep in mind the salinity with be around 1.018. So, if you are putting in a qt tank, you may want to lower the salinity to match. I believe you'received not supposed to raise the salinity too quickly.

The 2 fish I got about a month ago are still doing great, just took a little to get them eating good on my foods. Both butterflies, so not unusual.

OP
OP
JayL

JayL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you ordered from the regular liveaquaria (ca), just keep in mind the salinity with be around 1.018. So, if you are putting in a qt tank, you may want to lower the salinity to match. I believe you'received not supposed to raise the salinity too quickly.

The 2 fish I got about a month ago are still doing great, just took a little to get them eating good on my foods. Both butterflies, so not unusual.
Thanks Falconut, thats good to know about the salinity. My qt tank is already at 1.018 salinity and I use cupramine for ich. Is there anything else I should do/know about.

falconut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told not to leave them in the bag long after exposing to air. So, I floated the bags for about 15 minutes to equalize the temp, then one at a time poke a small hole, check the salinity. It it was close, I put them in the tank. If it was a lower I dripped for 15 minutes, then put him in. I did this one at a time for each bag, but didn't start the next bag until done with the first. I was nervous not dripping for my usual hour, but it's worked this way both times I'm done it.

dede

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received my shipment from LA with live fish and inverts a day late due to FedEx. I was sure at least the fish would be dead but everything survived. I had dropped the quarantine tank to 1.018 but fish actually came in around 1.016.

I had read on this forum about stock coming in at different salinities and to have heated RODI water ready to adjust your salinity down. Also as stated above I only put a small hole in the fish's bag to test salinity while the bags temp acclimated. Then after adjusting the salinity to match the bag, I added the fish right to the tank, no drip acclimation.

Also keep the lights out and cover the sides of the tank or keep in an area with little movement around the tank so the fish can adjust.

Also, keep an eye on tracking, that is how I found out fed ex delayed my shipment. Then when they did arrive the fedex guy just dropped them on the snow and left without even letting me know they were delivered. Thank God I had been checking for them every 15 min because I was so anxious about the fish with the 24 hour delay.

OP
OP
JayL

JayL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the first online order I have ever done. I'm a little nervous. I have one 32 gallon RODI and one 32 gallon saltwater mix at 1.025 on reserve for any issues. Also I have a 20 Gallon QT tank with a salinity of 1.018 set at 76.0 degrees (give or take 00.2 degrees depending on inside/outside temp). Wish me luck I'll post picks of the new arrivals as soon as I get them.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They are 3 for 3 as far as quality, on-time shipping and size were concerned.

mdrobc13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used LA extensively and Divers Den and they are very good. Healthy fish every order for the most part almost 90+% of the time from my experience. Its one of the best avail with pretty good selection and fast shipping=usually ship next day after order place. I've also use BlueZoo Aquatics and they are good also so far. Tried Freshmarine.com but they seem to have a wierd shipping process (only ship on certain days) so have ended up canceling more orders from them than placed due to the fact that after placed it has been difficult at times to figure out when I'd actually get the fish delivered.

I have used saltwaterfish.com before and will not use them again. Last couple of times fish have come in very poor condition and were either DOA or passed soon after acclimatization. Repeat shipments the same along with less than satisfactory response from their customer service mean I cannot recommend them. Have heard similar reports from a few of my friends when using them as well...so I stick primarily with the 1st two. especially LA. Acclimation for me is by drip acclimation over 30-120 mins usually. Good results.

jimbau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LA is the best online fish supplier in the country. My only advice beside the salinity issue mentioned above is to check the weather conditions at both the sending and destination locations. For example, right now I would not order if I lived on the east coast. It is shipping delays that cause most, if not all, of the issues.

MT. Reefer

Mt.Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won't recognize the difference if you haven't ordered online before, but the packaging from LA is TOP of the line. Have always been happy with their fish and service.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used LA extensively and Divers Den and they are very good. Healthy fish every order for the most part almost 90+% of the time from my experience. Its one of the best avail with pretty good selection and fast shipping=usually ship next day after order place. I've also use BlueZoo Aquatics and they are good also so far. Tried Freshmarine.com but they seem to have a wierd shipping process (only ship on certain days) so have ended up canceling more orders from them than placed due to the fact that after placed it has been difficult at times to figure out when I'd actually get the fish delivered.

I have used saltwaterfish.com before and will not use them again. Last couple of times fish have come in very poor condition and were either DOA or passed soon after acclimatization. Repeat shipments the same along with less than satisfactory response from their customer service mean I cannot recommend them. Have heard similar reports from a few of my friends when using them as well...so I stick primarily with the 1st two. especially LA. Acclimation for me is by drip acclimation over 30-120 mins usually. Good results.

I also won't order from SWF again. First order dead within 1 day, second DOA and of course you pay shipping on both orders that isn't refundable.

mike werner

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the first online order I have ever done. I'm a little nervous. I have one 32 gallon RODI and one 32 gallon saltwater mix at 1.025 on reserve for any issues. Also I have a 20 Gallon QT tank with a salinity of 1.018 set at 76.0 degrees (give or take 00.2 degrees depending on inside/outside temp). Wish me luck I'll post picks of the new arrivals as soon as I get them.
don't stress I have ordered hundreds of fish from la and only had two issues.both with gold flake angels arriving way to skinny to make it.both were credited with no questions asked.unexpected for a $450 fish.they are the best choice in my opinion for online fish purchases,you can't find a 14 day guarantee at your lfs that's for sure

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back