Ordering pistol shrimp and goby combo

Jvesche20

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright so before I start if this is in the wrong spot to post I’m sorry. Not sure where else to post this. But it’s about fish that I was going to buy.

So there’s a local fish store near my house that’s less than 10 mins away. I went to this guy when I first started off with the hobby. He only has 2 saltwater fish tanks so I do go to him often. The other fish store I normally go to is 20-25 mins away. I didn’t feel like driving all the way out there to get fish food so I went to the one that’s 10 mins way. I have the owners number he gave it to me and said he would help me with anything I needed. But comes to find out he doesn’t know a whole lot about saltwater fish hence why he has only 2 saltwater fish tanks. He asked me if there was anything on the wishlist that I wanted and he could order it and I said yes I’m looking for a goby and pistol shrimp combo and he said alright I’ll look into it and order it by Friday. So Friday comes around and I texted him and said did you order it and he said no it’s been slow so should be in by next week or the week after. So next week comes around and still nothing... at this point I give up and say screw it. But then he texted me saying he ordered it and should be in the following week. So this is 3 weeks after I asked him to get it. So I showed up and he said not sure when the truck will be here with the fish it’s coming from Florida. So I said okay well I have work all weekend and told him I would be back Sunday and he said that’s fine. So Sunday comes around and I show up and he’s not there it’s someone else. He’s the owner so I was expecting him to be there that’s why he said Sunday was fine for me to come. So I ask the worker if my fish came and she said I don’t see it and I was like hmm and texted him. He text me back hours after and said they didn’t have any left ordering it for next week from California.... at this point I’m like this guy is a joke. At least text me and tell me you didn’t get the fish so that I know it’s not there and I don’t waist my time. That same day Sunday I went to Petco to go see what they had. They ended up having a pistol shrimp for $13 so I bought it. Skip forward to next Friday and he text me saying he’s got the fish and it looks awesome. Don’t forget that I asked him 4 weeks ago to get this and all the stuff he has done. I text back how much is everything and he responds saying $45 for the goby and $25 for the shrimp. $70 for everything.... I haven’t texted him back for 1 he got it 4 weeks after I asked, 2 he made me drive up there just to not have anything, 3 he is over charging me or at least I think he is. Petco is selling same shrimp for $12 cheaper. I looked online the pair is $40 for both and he’s charging me $70 for both. We never discussed price before hand. I just assumed he would have the normal price that most other LFS have. Was expecting to be about $40 at most $50. Am I in the wrong here? Should I buy the fish from him or just let him sell it to someone else now that he has it.

Muttley000

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on if you want to maintain a relationship with him. Probably should have told him to forget it after you went to pick it up. If this is a Randall's shrimp and yellow watchman pair I'd say he is overcharging you considerably. I think it would be best if you contacted him and told him exactly why you no longer want it

OP
OP
Jvesche20

Jvesche20

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on if you want to maintain a relationship with him. Probably should have told him to forget it after you went to pick it up. If this is a Randall's shrimp and yellow watchman pair I'd say he is overcharging you considerably. I think it would be best if you contacted him and told him exactly why you no longer want it
I probably should have told him. I honestly don’t feel the need to have a relationship with this owner. He doesn’t know much about fish. He tried to tell me how to instal plumbing but then he said I need to throw him $10 for all the info. Was kinda mad that he did that but I gave him another chance. Found out today he was giving me fall info about certain products because he wasn’t educated on the product. Reason why I didn’t tell him was because he kinda did the same thing to me. Made me take time out of my day to come up to his shop when he wasn’t there just to find out that he didn’t get the Order.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone that does business like that, would not get my business. if you order fish from a distributor..BAM.. they are on a plane in less than 2 days and always to the destination overnight.

just tell him, hey, I waited three weeks and got one from Petco..

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen, and experienced in my own tank, an easy bonding of a goby and a pistol shrimp. Some people greatly overcharge for an already bonded pair. I was amazed when I saw it happen in own tank. I had the tiger pistol shrimp in already, I put the yellow watchman goby in, he darted straight to bottom and into the rocks, the two emerged together, literally within 3o seconds. Obviously this isn't 100%, but get your goby and take a chance for them to bond on their own.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back