Orp probe

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

kodo28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia has very low impact if not at all on ORP while cycling.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/orp-during-cycle.229158/#post-2664341

I did cycle some tanks already and never got negative numbers while cycling.
ORP during cycling can be around hundreds on first days and then it rise slowly but never negative numbers.
If you still see negative numbers after checking all possible issues then better contact GHL for support.

OP
OP
Michael Gray

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Michael Gray

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for testing in doing what @Vinny@GHLUSA told me to do on phone a couple days ago I always put probe in his solution and it immediately went to like 230. Solution is 220. But I left the probe in there this morning right on top of sump directly in area it will be except down in water. Well see a 3 hour test when I wake up from nap. Using a stapler to make sure it doesnt topple over in tank. Ahah
20190815_083156.jpg

OP
OP
Michael Gray

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came home last night and noticed I had a couple specs of green algae on some rocks. I said uh oh!!! New cycle uglies are coming! This morning since cycle brings green then brown. I decided to test my ammonia finally. It was well over 8ppm on api. Now it dropped it basically 0. I tested nitrite and now its sky high. So ita on its next phase.

I randomly decided to check my orp probe since it was -450 yesterday morning. It's now 350!? What the heck. Lolol. Ita never been positive in my tank water since I had it in for 3 weeks....

Screenshot_20190817-115304_GHL Connect.jpg

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This type of findings make me believe that I should never be sure on anything. It indicate that high ammonia levels can be seen with low ORP. I´m not sure of this but it will be in my storage memory for now. I can´t explain and I will not ask you to rise the ammonia level again :). However - if you want - take a bucket and fill it with water from your aquarium. Put in some type of circulation. Put the ORP sensor in the bucket - let it be for 24 hour and note the reading. Add ammonia into the bucket - try to hit 8 ppm in the bucket. Read the ORP and wait 24 hour and note the ORP. I would be very interesting to know the result - maybe we all will learn something

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Michael Gray

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This type of findings make me believe that I should never be sure on anything. It indicate that high ammonia levels can be seen with low ORP. I´m not sure of this but it will be in my storage memory for now. I can´t explain and I will not ask you to rise the ammonia level again :). However - if you want - take a bucket and fill it with water from your aquarium. Put in some type of circulation. Put the ORP sensor in the bucket - let it be for 24 hour and note the reading. Add ammonia into the bucket - try to hit 8 ppm in the bucket. Read the ORP and wait 24 hour and note the ORP. I would be very interesting to know the result - maybe we all will learn something

Sincerely Lasse

Haha lasse im definitely not saying your wrong. I was just shocked as morning before it was -450 and I was just thinking. I'm gonna have to get a new probe. But since I saw first sign of small algae I figured I'd check ammonia for giggles. And sure enough its 0 now. And orp has been so low -300 or more entire time and up to 350 caught me in ah like what the heck. It can be a random coincidence. Or just giving me a little luck on the new tank so far.

Now with the bucket thing. That is absolutely not a bad idea. When nitrite fall. And I do a large water change to bring nitrate down to decent levels. I can totally experiment for this. I'll put ammonia to 8 to 10 like I had it and just see what happens.

But I believe everything you guys are telling me. I'm trying to learn as much as I can so ik successful. I think I just got lucky and my probe just said let's stop messing with him now. Haha

kodo28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think this as anything related with your Ammonia level. ORP shouldn't have rised from -450 to 350 in 24h. this would be like depleting Ammonia in one shot from your tank.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think this as anything related with your Ammonia level. ORP shouldn't have rised from -450 to 350 in 24h. this would be like depleting Ammonia in one shot from your tank.
It is rather normal with a fast depletion of NH3/NH4 when the first step of nitrification starts. 8 ppm converted during 24 hours is not unlikely. I have been rather sure that the NH3/NH4 did not affect the ORP reading but this experiences speak another language. And converting NH3/NH4 into NO2 is an oxidation process! I´m not sure what to believe and if this could be a new knowledge how ORP will react in our aquariums.

Sincerely Lasse

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did some googling. Found some others with ph probe and orp probe issues with ground loop in the water. Same situation. Test fine outside the tank. Low inside the tank.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did some googling. Found some others with ph probe and orp probe issues with ground loop in the water. Same situation. Test fine outside the tank. Low inside the tank.
Thanks - I did not know if it affects or not but I know that interference can take some very crazy ways. I normally have my measurement equipment on the same circuit as pumps and other things in the water.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Michael Gray

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lasse another random question off orp topic since mine is sitting right now at about 400ish. Crazy eh.

But PH. My ph since I started the cycle was maybe 8.1 and some change. Now it's mostly pretty consistently at 7.88 on p4 probe. I tested it with api kit and same. Looking around 7.8 color chart. I havent tested ca or alk or mag during cycle.

Ph 7.88
Temp 78.1
Salt 1.0253

Should I work on raising it or not worry to much?

I cant open the dam windows because its 85 degrees at midnight here in CA right now and like a 100 during the day. When I get lucky at night I'll be able to open a couple windows as soon as it hits below 75* which my house AC stays at and I can get my ph to be 8.1. Curious if I should stress about 7.88 as my current ph or not worry until I check my alk, ca and other stuff once cycle is complete.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not worry about the pH just now. As soon as your tank is on the right track with growth of corals and algae you will have the normal daily swing of the pH. If you can (but is not necessary) - try to take only the air to the skimmer from the outside.The build up of CO2 in your house when you close all windows can affect the pH

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Michael Gray

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I do that. Any write up? I can drill a hole in wall right behind it I guess and put PVC in it with a elbow down. On other side of wall is the outside entry hall. And how do I hook it up to my skimmer

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the chances when it pulls in air from the peak summer like now. Outside air is 107* wont that heat the aquarium over a full days of skimming.
That´s true - the skimmer will work as a good heat exchanger. Interesting question that I have put to myself a couple of times. It is possible to calculate. You need to know the amount of water in liter, the amount of air in liter through the skimmer, the temperature difference between water and air, the specific weight of air and water per liter and the specific heat energy (in J) for air and water. The formula you find here. Conversion of temp - here. Conversion of mass - here

I found this so interesting that I did a calculation. What I understand - if I did my math the right way and 100% efficiency - every L of air will rise the temperature of 1 liter of water with 0.0003 degree Celsius per every degree Celsius temperature difference. No heat exchanging is 100 % - this is "worst case" :)

An example from my aquarium. The skimmer gives around 1500 l air/h. I have 300 L of water. Aquarium temp 26 degree C. If the incoming air is 33 degree C - I will rise the temperature of my whole aquarium with lesser than 0.01 degree C per hour. (0.02 degree F/h) Let us say you run it with this difference for 10 h -> rise of 0.2 degree F

Do not trust my math - but I think that it shows in which county you will end up

Sincerely Lasse

Back