Orphek OR3 vs XHO brightness

  • Thread starter Thread starter rynosreef
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

rynosreef

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 26, 2011
Messages
140
Reaction score
128
Location
Burbank, CA
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently picked up a Reefbrite XHO, and while the color and spread is great… holy cow they got the “brite” part right. Those suckers will melt your retinas if looking at them head on.

I’ve used Orphek Atlantik’s in the past and I loved how the acrylic kept the light from burning your eyes.

Does anyone know how the Orphek OR3’s compare? Are they as blinding as the XHO’s? Or are they similar to the Atlantiks?
 
I am fully orphek but will admit XHO Much brighter.
I prefer the colors on the orphek though
 
I do too. Orphek’s have a much fuller spectrum. Being less bright might be a good thing in my case…

My main light (ATI Sunpower) is enough for the tank. Really just looking to pull out the orange filter for an hour or two at night haha.

The XHO blinds anyone who sits down on the couch nearest the tank.

I know OR3 are meant to be mounted higher.. I’d need to mount mine 8-9” off the water to work with the ATI.

I wonder if I removed the optics, mounted at 8”, would that solve the mounting height/spread issue, or just make them as blinding as the XHO’s?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new